JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
About a year ago I purchased a Nikon M-223 scope mount and a 3-12x42 sf scope.

I have sighted it in at 100 yards with the turret on 100 yards and it shoots well. I recently took aim at 400 yards. I turned the turret to the 400 yard hash and was about 2-3' low. turned it back to 100 yards, took aim at 100 yards and dead center.

This scope is designed for 55gr .223 ammo at ... fps the ammo i was shooting and sighted to, matched said specifics. The scope has the Nikoplex reticle...

So my questions:
did all the m-223 mounts when they first came out have the 20moa in the mount and nikon has just relabeled it m223-xr?

Am I supposed to be sighting the rifle differently at 100 yards if the mount has the 20moa? (again i put the cross hair on center at 100 and sighted then popped the turret free and snapped it on the 100 hash and have not popped it free since.)

Skid, When the M-223 AR Mount first came out they all had 20MOA built into them. Then folks started asking for a mount without the 20 MOA so now we have 2 M-223 AR Mounts. One with (M-223 XR) and one without (M-223). As for your shooting and being 2-3 feet low, a huge difference obviously. While that Nikoplex reticle is built around .223/55 grain polymer tipped bullet at 3240 fps. Some shorter barrel AR's are producing less MV. My 16 in barrel averages 3040 fps. That being said I have still shot it to 600 yards and been able to hit a 10 inch steel gong at that distance.
I have seen guys put this mount on backwards many times, alaways first question I ask, left handers seem to be more likely to do this....
I would suggest going back to 100 yards, shot 3 shots, turn turret to 200 yards, shoot 3 shots, the impact whould be 2.76 inches high, turn to 300 and the impact should be 11.2 inches high. This will give you a good idea if your calibration on scope and your rifle/ammo are functioning as designed. Please keep me posted on progress Skid.

[email protected]

Skid, When the M-223 AR Mount first came out they all had 20MOA built into them. Then folks started asking for a mount without the 20 MOA so now we have 2 M-223 AR Mounts. One with (M-223 XR) and one without (M-223).

That's dumb in their nomenclature The new one should have been M-223 FL or M-223-LV rather than changing the name of their old and then giving the old name to a new product. I spent almost an hour reading through their web sight trying to find reference stating M-223 of this age ... It's not like it's a computer and models change weekly, to me it would be like ford changing the name of the Mustang Saleen to Stallion and then renaming the Mustang (Base Model) to Saleen.

There should be no difference in the way you sight in your rifle with the 20 MOA base or a flat base. Like I said earlier, try the bullet drop test to see if your bleeding MV from somewhere. It's just strange you are 2-3 feet off. I look forward to hearing what your results are Skid.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top