JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can people relay their experience with nightvision...gen1 or gen2 specifically. I don't have 3-4k to get into gen 3 or 4. What range is gen1 or gen2 effective out to? what's the biggest differences? Are they even worth having?

I'd be interested in feedback on both bi-monoculars and rifle scopes.

thanks,
Ron

I cannot speak on Gen 1, 2 but I do own a Gen 3.

I would say if you are looking from a survival perspective there are probably a lot more critical things that should be purchased beforehand. I didn't go that route, I'm sure there are things I still need / would like to have. But I wanted to get myself plenty of time to become familiar with them, get my mounts right and have plenty of experience using them. Are they worth it? Not if they sit in your safe all the time. You need to get out and use them, once you are out in the dark you will realize the value of being able to see while others cannot.

I have a Gen 3 ITT Night Enforcer monocular that I can mount on my AR. For me, its worth it. I also paid to have my tube hand selected. The main reason I went with gen 3 over gen 2 was the clarity was a bit better, but more important the tube life was 4x as long for roughly $1000 more. Last year we were out at a class and our group all had high quality gen 3 units. The other camp had a store bought gen 3 unit and I think an older gen 2 unit. One night we set out to look for them and we spotted them from a long distance away because they used an IR light. Because all of our units were high quality we did not need IR to move around. So if you want to stay hidden, and still be able to use your NV, get the best you can afford. Being able to move around freely and not need IR lights is pretty high on my priority list. If you just want to identify targets 150ish or so yards I'm sure a Gen 1 unit would be fine. I use the GG&G Multi Flex mount because I also can run a Aimpoint 3x with the same mount behind the T1.

Gen 3 ITT Night Enforcer

Mounted behind a Aimpoint T1 Micro, GG&G Multi-Flex Mount

Most of my experience comes from the military and the military quality equipment night vision thermals and the new mix breed. I have some cheap monoculars that I have taken to the filed with me for fun. They are no PVS-14s but I remember the PVS-5s and they aren't much worse than those. Also I have a NV rifle sight that surprisingly is really nice. I'd say a little worse than PVS-7s but again it is no ANPAS-13. Maybe I’m just spoiled but I agree there is no way I’m spending $15,000 to own what I play with at work. BTW these are all for sale I'll be posting a page with all my extras here in a little bit. You know stupid Xmas always getting in the way of my gun stuff :)

If you want to know anything else just ask...
Sean

NVGmono.jpg

NVGrifle.jpg

I've got a gen .5(starlight scope) and a gen 1+(monocular) and I can reach out and drill holes at 150m with the scope and drive with the lights off confidently at about 50kph with the monocle going. From what I've seen gen 2, 2+ is great for night hunts, clearly seeing your way on the move, but gen 1 will get you there as well.

I have an Aries Mk 208 that is pretty awesome and though not magnified would allow good combat hits out to 100-150 yards pretty easy. I haven't even put batteries in it in probably 4 years so not getting much use out of it. If you or anybody is interested I would be willing to sell or trade for something cool that I might actually get some use out of.

To have a realistically effective system, you need to run a peq/headset combo. Having your only NVD mounted to your weapon means pointing your weapon at everything you look at. Not acceptable in any environment, especially not a domestic one.. and very easily hazardous to your own health.

I was looking at purchasing One of these for a price of $470 new. I understand they only work out to 200 yards max for shooting. Based on all the reviews it sound very good for what you get. One thing I couldn't find was what is the expected life of the tube and will it handle 300wsm loads?

Any other info would be good all so.

Thanks

I see lots of guys mount smart phones and or cameras to their rifles.. I keep hearing recently on the radio advertisements that FLIR is going to partner with i phone.. offering a FLIR capable phone to the public.
Perhaps they are trying to talk up an IPO or share price if it's already traded publicly.
Who is not going to get one of those?

I see lots of guys mount smart phones and or cameras to their rifles.. I keep hearing recently on the radio advertisements that FLIR is going to partner with i phone.. offering a FLIR capable phone to the public.
Perhaps they are trying to talk up an IPO or share price if it's already traded publicly.
I don't know this for certain but wouldn't doing that backlight you and make you a very obvious target?

Q: Aux. magnification for NV.

As I understand it, the way a lot of non-thermal NV equipment works is it captures and amplifies existing low level ambient light (starlight, moonlight, city light that bounces off clouds and other surfaces), and then presents that on some kind of screen (phosphor or otherwise) - that "screen" basically being the equivalent of a CRT or LCD screen in principle.

Close enough so far?

So, when I have seen aux. magnification (i.e., separate from the NV equipment itself) for NV equipment, it has always been between the users eye and the "screen" on the NV device.

So, it seems to me, that this magnification is not magnifying the actual view, but magnifying the screen, which is like looking at a television with a telescope. Not really magnifying as I understand it in the sense as you would look at a view during the day with a riflescope.

Is this correct?

If so, then is the magnification really that useful?

Q: Aux. magnification for NV.

As I understand it, the way a lot of non-thermal NV equipment works is it captures and amplifies existing low level ambient light (starlight, moonlight, city light that bounces off clouds and other surfaces), and then presents that on some kind of screen (phosphor or otherwise) - that "screen" basically being the equivalent of a CRT or LCD screen in principle.

Close enough so far?

So, when I have seen aux. magnification (i.e., separate from the NV equipment itself) for NV equipment, it has always been between the users eye and the "screen" on the NV device.

So, it seems to me, that this magnification is not magnifying the actual view, but magnifying the screen, which is like looking at a television with a telescope. Not really magnifying as I understand it in the sense as you would look at a view during the day with a riflescope.

Is this correct?

If so, then is the magnification really that useful?
-
Yes you are looking at a 'projected image', in all NV & therm. equipment .
.edit add:
only thing funky funny about Therm. and it's image, is it will not look threw glass window. on the projected image all you see is the heat signature of the glass pain .

Me. I can't stand crapple's products. :)

I have a varo pvs-4 gen 2. it works and I got it for under a 1k. I have used it with a 30-06 and a 22. works best with the moon out, not the best but for the price i think it works well, and it can take a beating I have dropped it a few times and it still works.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top