JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find that 8 powder is about as high as I want to go in magnification in field glasses.
For close range you should be fine with 8x ...depending on the glass you can really pick the detail of antlers/ points which can make it a legal buck or not.
Andy

If you had a lower power and lighter scope, I would certainly go with that. For something as big as a deer I like a 3-9x scope, especially at close range. Typically I keep it set at 3x in case I have a close up encounter with a buck. Can be hard to quickly find a deer at close range if the scope is at 8x...at least for me. I actually like open sights if I'm hunting dense brush and expect a close encounter.

I have a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor that I want to use for hunting and be able to hit targets at long distances during target shooting, so looking for recommendations on a scope that would work at close range and long range.

IIRC, on my Leupolds, if I'm running 8 power, ~20 yards is the closest I can focus. Like @Otter suggested, it can be hard to find your target.
Based on how fast I see black tail react, I figure once I draw, I have just a few seconds to get a shot off. I think 8 power would make that harder.
This is something you need to practice, drawing up your rifle while eyes are on target and the scope is on target already. Then it's just a small adjustment. I was practicing it the other day while in a thick, swampy part of the woods, and it wasn't easy, where I was looking through wood at an animal access trail, I'd draw and all I see is a tree branch.

I have a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight 6.5 Creedmoor that I want to use for hunting and be able to hit targets at long distances during target shooting, so looking for recommendations on a scope that would work at close range and long range.
Sig Sauer has their Whiskey 5 in a 5x25 power range. I've been eyeing that for a 300 win mag. I think the lower 5 would be a little better for close range.

I have a 5-20x Nikon Monarch on a 30-06 I plan to use for an elk hunt if I ever draw a tag. I could be in a wheel chair or dead by the time that ever happens. I take the rifle with me as a backup rifle for deer, but never have actually had a chance to use it on game. I think the 5X setting might be acceptable at semi-close range. I still like a lower setting than that for my primary deer rifle. My next scope for deer hunting, if I were to buy one, would be a 2-10x. I like the idea of the 2x power.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top