JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been shooting for a long time and I have never had a NF scope. So i had the chance and bought this 5.5x22 zero stop model. It has a frustrating problem. I shoot a 3 shot group and watch the group go 1in right of POI, SO I adjust it to go 4 clicks left (YES I AM SURE I TURNED IT THE RIGHT WAY IT SAYS SO ON THE SCOPE RING) (.25moa per click) and.......it moves 1 in to the right of the previously fired shots WTF! so then I adjust to go 2inches left (8 clicks) and now I am punching holes 1in left of center!. Pulled the base off and reinstalled with blue loctite and to correct torque settings with my Weaver torque screwdriver. I am using a Leupold base and 30mm rings.

Go to shoot and the same damn game starts...... It eventually gets on POI but this is a $2000 dollar scope and better click in on the turns or its crap. When I correct for windage in the field it better damn well adj where i put it

Has anyone have something constructive to add? is this typical for these scopes to be tight and need a break in?? like run through 40 moa a couple of times and then try it???

I had a kinda sweet little Leupold 1x5 that was a booger to sight in and forget about jacking with the knobs with any hope of any hope of return/repeat.. chase that group to hit and leave it alone kinda scope.

I have a Rem 700 built by High Country, that has a lightweight 30-06 barrel. After two shots it starts moving around. Please tell us more, as to cal, how much time between shots, what kinda rest? sandbag ? etc? as jlick asks..more info. But you have been shooting awhile so it may be the scope.

As for the NF being ran thru, do it. Count the clicks up and down then center it, and do the same for windage. You wont hurt it! I swear I have ran mine up and down 1000's of times shooting long range.
If it is a prob with the scope NF will take care of it no problem!

As asked, additional info:

Previous scope: Leupold VIII 4.5-10 no issues with hold or adjusting for zero.

Gun: Factory Remington BDL 300 WSM, HS-Precison stock (Has the aluminum bedding block and once installed has a free floated barrel), stock trigger thats has some modification.

Ammo: Barnes TTSX 168, I am consistently producing 3 shot groups sub .75in

Ok, more info. Went and bought Warne steel rings and had them mounted with the scope. This eliminated the possibility that the Leupold base and rings MAY be bad. Well, first shot was at 50yards that was 4in left 2in low. Made adjustment and the next shot at 50 went .5in high of POI. So, headed out to the 200yrd target. First shot, at POI, second shot .5 left of POI, third shot 3.5in left of POI, next shot 3in left and up 1.5in of POI next shot 2.5 high of POI. and on and on and on........This was taking 3 shots and waiting 15 minutes or so and shooting some a string of three more. Got sick and tired of playing with the scope and pulled it for my VIII Leupold and sighted it in. After a couple of sight in shots I put 8 shots within 1.5 inches of POI at 200yrds.

I am now done with Nightforce Scopes. I don't care !!! bring it if you want. I don't spend $2000 dollars on a scope to have it be in this condition when I purchase it. They need to do better quality control. VERY VERY disappointed in this product! I will be taking this back for a FULL REFUND!!

Ok, more info. Went and bought Warne steel rings and had them mounted with the scope. This eliminated the possibility that the Leupold base and rings MAY be bad. Well, first shot was at 50yards that was 4in left 2in low. Made adjustment and the next shot at 50 went .5in high of POI. So, headed out to the 200yrd target. First shot, at POI, second shot .5 left of POI, third shot 3.5in left of POI, next shot 3in left and up 1.5in of POI next shot 2.5 high of POI. and on and on and on........This was taking 3 shots and waiting 15 minutes or so and shooting some a string of three more. Got sick and tired of playing with the scope and pulled it for my VIII Leupold and sighted it in. After a couple of sight in shots I put 8 shots within 1.5 inches of POI at 200yrds.

I am now done with Nightforce Scopes. I don't care !!! bring it if you want. I don't spend $2000 dollars on a scope to have it be in this condition when I purchase it. They need to do better quality control. VERY VERY disappointed in this product! I will be taking this back for a FULL REFUND!!

Good to know it all worked out.

Good to know it all worked out x2

I had 2 NF scopes both were junk with plastic parts/springs where metal is required. They are total junk the adjustments have no relation to reality

Can you elaborate a bit?
I don't own a NF scope yet and have heard nothing but stellar reports until this thread. I don't want to plop down 2k for a scope that won't satisfy me.
I know a few people who swear by NF and use them rather hard.

Also, did you actually tear a NF down far enough to find "plastic parts/springs" and why?

I had 2 NF scopes both were junk with plastic parts/springs where metal is required. They are total junk the adjustments have no relation to reality

I am curious as to what parts are plastic/springs?

I used one 24/7 at one time in my life and beat the heck outta it. Maybe the chinese are making a copy now....

And have you contacted NF and talked to them about this problem? NF has pretty much the same customer service as Leupold.

Anyhow, this is a waste as you have already made up your mind...:s0114:

I am curious as to what parts are plastic/springs?

I used one 24/7 at one time in my life and beat the heck outta it. Maybe the chinese are making a copy now....

And have you contacted NF and talked to them about this problem? NF has pretty much the same customer service as Leupold.

Anyhow, this is a waste as you have already made up your mind...:s0114:

I am glad it worked for you! it sounds like your life may have depended on it. I am very frustrated that I hear nothing but that this is THE SCOPE to have on your gun. I get it and have an internal failure. For $2000 that thing better serve hot coffee in the morning!! I went through $200 dollars in ammo for this thing to TRY and sight in. I through the leupold on and it holds zero. NOW don't get me wrong I am not promoting just leupold rather very disappointed that the NF scope didn't work.........anyway did I say I was very dissapointed??

I've never heard of anyone using an NF having this type of issue. I've seen several in my time. I just used one this past weekend, lovely piece of equipment.

Assuming you purchased it new, I would definitely call/email NF and have them talk to you. You could have just had a freak bad unit.

I can understand your frustration, of course $2000 for a NF means you didn't even purchase their highest end unit. And heck, if you think that is expensive you better never review the prices on Schmit and Bender optics. :)

I've never heard of anyone using an NF having this type of issue. I've seen several in my time. I just used one this past weekend, lovely piece of equipment.

Assuming you purchased it new, I would definitely call/email NF and have them talk to you. You could have just had a freak bad unit.

I can understand your frustration, of course $2000 for a NF means you didn't even purchase their highest end unit. And heck, if you think that is expensive you better never review the prices on Schmit and Bender optics. :)

The fact that a scope with this type of internal problem got out is what gets me. My understanding is they go through extensive testing. I am not making excuses for Leupold (again) but I would understand an issue like this getting through the QC. Anyway ..........

I am not going to go on and slam NF anymore, I originally started this thread for help.

Thank you guys for your quick help and input, this is a great forum.

I am very curious as to what NF will say about this scope your having issues with.
I sent one in for cleaning once and had it back in a week.

FYI

Customer Service, Technical & Warranty:
Nightforce Optics, Inc.
336 Hazen Lane
Orofino, ID 83544
tel 208.476.9814 • fax 208.476.9817
[email protected]

Good to know it all worked out.

Good to know it all worked out x2

Can you elaborate a bit?
I don't own a NF scope yet and have heard nothing but stellar reports until this thread. I don't want to plop down 2k for a scope that won't satisfy me.
I know a few people who swear by NF and use them rather hard.

Also, did you actually tear a NF down far enough to find "plastic parts/springs" and why?

For the record- I never said anything about tearing the scope down or plastic parts.....That was another member.

I like Velzey have had the chance to use NF stuff under unique conditions as well as S+B optics. I've never had, nor have I ever heard of any problems with either brand at all. Though it sounds like we may never know at this point, it sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. I wouldn't judge the entire brand due to that, they make great stuff....but, that's just one man's opinion.

I like Velzey have had the chance to use NF stuff under unique conditions as well as S+B optics. I've never had, nor have I ever heard of any problems with either brand at all. Though it sounds like we may never know at this point, it sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. I wouldn't judge the entire brand due to that, they make great stuff....but, that's just one man's opinion.
I agree, I have heard tons of good things about both brands. I am trying to separate the opinions and conjecture with the "definitive fact" statement below.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top