JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your spending under 4grand might as well buy nightowl.. just my two cents as I'm in the same boat as you guys with no military background. From what I've read got to be a Gen 4 are you getting stroked by the technology fairies. Don't even get me started on the new choice of thermals.
From example video shown online kind of looks like they're more would be the way you'd want to go.

If your spending under 4grand might as well buy nightowl.. just my two cents as I'm in the same boat as you guys with no military background. From what I've read got to be a Gen 4 are you getting stroked by the technology fairies. Don't even get me started on the new choice of thermals.
From example video shown online kind of looks like they're more would be the way you'd want to go.

Well I'm thinking either a pvs14 or pvs15 or dual pvs14. Better question would be what brands to stay away from.

Tagged....I'm looking also and have no idea where to start.
If you got questions, feel free to post up on here. Also google "night vision FAQ" that should help.

I just want to know if there's a certain brand to stay away from because they are all within the same price range. I don't want to make a $3k+ mistake...

Interested in this topic also. From what I have read any new 10 year warranty 3rd Genertation is GTG.

Some Photonis may be different enough to be a problem - I would avoid Photonis.
Harris Pinnacle and NVD, TNVC L3 filmless are US made. Green is GTG, but having just looked through an L3 white phosphor filmless - sure is sweet.

Last Edited:
Any thoughts on these?

Night Optics PVS7 Gen 3 Mil-Spec Night Vision Goggle NG-P07-3G Generation: 3, 10% Off — Free Two Day Shipping

50BC7D1F-955D-42FA-BAE9-D44090877E94.png

Flir has some 'consumer' products that are pretty nice for the money. Depends on the application, depends on your budget.

I've thought about something like this so I could see the coyotes that howl across the field in back of my house:

https://www.amazon.com/FLIR-Scout-Pocket-Sized-Thermal-Monocular/dp/B01APT3LF6/ref=sr_1_17
The nice thing about that FLIR is you hold it against your eye. The Leupold has to be held 12" or so away from the face and is irritating to use. We were at Cabelas a couple days ago and wanted to try the FLIR but it was not charged :rolleyes::oops:....the counter guy told us the Leupold was much better as far as resolution and focus, but like I said....maybe next time.

From my understanding the following is like this:

1st Gen, modern day poor mans NV which works roughly out to maybe 50meters at night, you get what you pay for. Lowest quality

2nd Gen, This is when price hikes up to $1k minimum and you'll get the same specs of NV that conventional LI uses.
Good quality

3rd Gen, More advanced military use im thinking Ranger Bat or SF also high in price.
Great quality

4th Gen, all the bells and whistles like FLIR built in and of course requires your soul or you work for a contractor to use. Best quality

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top