JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My question is as BROKE as the USFS claims to be how can they afford Cobras and what it cost to keep them flying. Oh yeah, anything to keep us safe....that's why Yosemite is up in flames...

Brutus Out

The flir is the best tool made for finding hotspots and crews.
The helios are most likely rebuilt old military they got cheap.
Expensive to maintain though.
Short turnaround hrs on most parts.
The black agencies have plenty to use for other things and they are black, green or brown. Not red and white. Fire depts also use flirs heavily to see hot spots.

My FLIR unit works in all environments, day/night and has a 2x capacity, it has no IR signature. If you match dollar for dollar it's a better, more versatile unit than conventional NV. Plan on spending 3.8-4K

My FLIR unit works in all environments, day/night and has a 2x capacity, it has no IR signature. If you match dollar for dollar it's a better, more versatile unit than conventional NV. Plan on spending 3.8-4K

You can now buy the FLIR first mate for 1999.00

I have been able to try on the latest NVGs the coast guard helo pilots use and it is like watching TV with a green tint. I have to some how get some. The fancy FLIRSs may be better?

I used 1st gen NVD "goggles" and "starlight scopes" in the jungles of Central/South America in the mid/late 80's... the image was grainy, but we were King Sheite of F-Mountain when using them in the night. When we were under triple canopy foliage or inside buildings/caves with no environmental light for the units to amplify, we switched on IR illuminators. The down side was if the OPFOR had NVG kit they could see you like a beacon.

Opticsplanet.com has an AMAZING selection on NVG and FLIR kit from (improved) 1st gen on into 4th gen. I picked up an (improved) 1st gen mountable NVG scope ($360 shipped) that reminded me of the kit I used to mount on my M60 machine gun, it works good enough to "git 'er done". Be prepared to seriously open your wallet for anything 3rd gen on up!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top