JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Looking into night vision but I know jack squat on using it. If I bought night vision goggles, would I need different rifle sights to use with them? Could just get a night vision rifle scope but the field of view is pretty narrow compared to the goggles. Also hard on the eyes scanning for a long period of time. Any info would be helpful.

It sounds like you will be using NV for field use. I'd recommend a NV monocular and a scope to be used simultaneously. You get the ability to use the NV to walk around while still maintaining a degree of periferal vision that is nearly lost with goggles. You will be able to maintain complete dark adaption with the eye not looking through the monocular. If you wear the monocular on your non-dominant eye, you can still use an NV scope with the monocular in place when you need to shoot. Its almost nearly as impossible to use a non-NV scope with a goggle (eye relief issues) as it is to maintain a walk while continuously peering through an NV scope attached to the rifle. Loss of periferal vision is bad enough with a 1x goggle or monocular, its horrid with a 3 or 4x scope.

Keith

Exactly what Train said. I've got a monocular that I bought a doubler for, which is quickly remove able in the field were I to need to go back to 1x. You can get cheap gen1 stuff for less than 300 with a head strap assembly or go for the 4k+ gen 3 NV. The better you buy, the happier you will be over time.

That doesn't bother you guys to be looking one eyed? Wonder if NV field glasses might be a better option for my older eyes. Would have to take my eyes off the target to use the rifle scope but seems like using both eyes would be less tiring. Like I said, I don't know much about NV but your answers are helping.

I used the AN-PVS14 my last two years in the service and it served me well. With the helmit mount system, you can switch which eye you want to use. I perefered the monocular over the goggles just because of the one-eyed piece to it. When you walk around, outside light sources (i.e. cars driving by, street lights, ect) temporarily blind you until the night vision can adjust for the change in light.

I honestly didn't have too much dificulty seeing through my ACOG and my monocular. I suppose the gen 3 had a lot to do with that though.

If you want to shoot and walk with one night vision piece, I would suggest the AN-PVS14. If don't want to pay the $3K+ price tag for it I would recommend buying two different pieces- one for your rifle and one for your head.

Watch out for magnification on NV goggles. It's a big PITA. I have Newcon Gen1 goggles. Getting the right focus for close in and far is a pain. If it's not 1x you feel really awkward. Plus they are heavy and you really want them on a helmet, not straps. You start running with goggles on straps and the goggles bounce all over the place. Your FOV is gonna suck with a monocular. And Eotech won't work that way. You need binos.

The tubes stress your eyes if you use them too long. I have heard rumors that they x-ray your head too, but unconfirmed. Your crimson trace will not be that great with them. It will glow all over the place and not be a dot anymore. You'll want to put a resistor on a switch to cut the power down to about 20%.

Eotech with NV option works. Surefire with slide on filter works, but is too bright. You need to get the aftermarket lenses on ebay to cut the light down and so it is not visible with naked eyes. Regular rifles sights don't work. Still looking for the right monocular to put in front of an Alpen scope for quick NV. Alpen has a quick focus ring on the rear objective so a coupler won't work.

Gerber mini flashlight with 4 color adjustment works great for quick viewing of settings on gear. It has a no-see NV setting. It's small and light too.

While this is an expensive option, the good thing about this one is that it includes a weapon mount, which works well with regular scopes. I don't realistically think I will running arund in the dark, but perhaps walking which makes this scope a good option. I can mount it to my rifle or use the chin/headstrap.

There are also several companies that make adaptors to use on camera and video recorders. Pricey, but some way cool gear.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/itt-mv-14-gen-3-night-vision-monocular.html

Victor at Tactical Night Vision knows his NV and is a site sponsor on the ar15 board. He hand selected our tubes and our Gen 3 gear is awesome. I have looked through others and even though it said Gen 3 it was not the same quality. But at almost 4k it costs quite a bit, but really quality gear.

This is the kind of stuff available though not common.

NIKON WITH NV ONLY.jpg

NIKON WITH NV ONLY.jpg

Thanks for all the posts on my original question on NV optics. Lots of good leads that I followed and learned a lot. Decided that he best outfit for my intended use is a good Gen. 4, low x powered rifle scope. Again, thanks for all the good info. This is what forums are all about.

Two more thoughts:

First, along the carrot line, oxygen has a dramatic and near instantaneous effect on night vision. Just a couple deep breaths can somewhat lighten up a darkened room. Or look into 'breathing O2.' I haven't tried it, but pilot-friends have told stories of returning late from a flight, and jumping into the car to drive home and realizing how tired they are. Strap the nasal cannula back on and it not only jacks up their vision, but alleviates the exhaustion.

Also, noticed an ad today for some little key-fob flashlights. Caught a detail: they're available with red, white, blue OR INFRA-RED leds. $16. And their website says they're made in Oregon! www.laughingRabbitInc.com I suppose your night-vis rig would have a IR source on it, but perhaps you'd prefer to NOT have a 'laser designator' on your forehead...

(Which gets back to the advice in another thread about clearing your darkened house and holding your flashlight to the side rather than in front of you, on the chance that a bad-guy will try to shoot the body 'behind' the light.)

MrB

For starlight-only scopes, or for those who don't want to have an active IR source on their person, a few cyalume sticks dropped at strategic locations within your field of fire will really boost your NV capabilities.

Keith

Has anyone used a thermal imager? Like the OTIS-14 or OTIS-17?

Yes. A subcontractor of ours uses a thermal imager to find hidden hotspots in electrical equipment. His is a roughly $50k handheld color unit. They begin around $10k I believe, about 3x the price of a good Gen 3 light intensifying unit. Think predator vision. There are drawbacks though, one being the inability to see heat through tree canopies, tall grass...even a tarp over a hole can break up a person's heat signature.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top