JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've decided to use my Taurus Judge for night time home defense. Now the question is what load? Talked to a couple of buddies and they said bird shot. Reason being is simple...I won't have to worry about it traveling to my other neighbors and the spread will do a better job stopping the intruder.

Question is...what brand? What bird shot and etc. Thoughts? (.410 for those that were wondering)

Thanks! BTW links are always great! :)

:rolleyes:

Wow what a way to take a poster down!

yes I was considering the furthest distance in my house is 10 ft and having a loaded shotgun in my house for quick access is not an option.

OR I could just load the 45LR into it.

I can't personally recommend what ammo to use, because I don't own any .410 shotgun/handgun.

read the article I linked and search on taurus judge forum. I am sure you will find your answer there.

at 10 foot your birdshot or buckshot will only spread about as wide as your fist not much better than the 45 as far as hitting anything why not just get some good personal protection ammo in 45lc

Wow what a way to take a poster down!

yes I was considering the furthest distance in my house is 10 ft and having a loaded shotgun in my house for quick access is not an option.

OR I could just load the 45LR into it.

I always get crap about using 12 #6 for defense and you think you'll get away with suggesting 410 bird shot? haha

So me and a buddy were hunting grouse,bear,coyotes.Mostly he wanted out of Seattle so he came up here.
I sent him out of the truck after a yote that just stood about 12 yards away.
He blasted it with #6 out of a 20 gauge....at 12 yards,maybe. The thing convulted and got in the brush,then crossed the road behind us.(my dog was in the truck crying)
If you use a 12 gauge and multiple shots,you will stop the intruder.I would guess if you hit the face with the 410 it may do the same.But at more than 10 feet,the shot out of these is everywhere,but where you want it.
Use 45c in it for home defense

:s0155::s0159:

I hear a lot of people say that, or they would never trust their life to .410. But I can never get any of those people to volunteer to stand there and test how bad it really hurts to take a 000. buck to the chest.

Weak argument when trying to compare. There are LOTS of things people dont want to do that are far from killing them. Do you want to get stabbed in the hand? Surly wont kill you but I don't see anyone volunteering......... Most sane people don't chose to do things that bring them pain or discomfort, yet most of those things will not kill them.

The fact of the matter is sure a .410 can kill you (I have seen it first hand) but I have also seen people with several wounds from larger guns including point blank 12 ga with buckshot and live. Now you sit down and have to figure out an average of how effective your choice is. There is nothing that is 100% effect so just forget that. The larger the study the more accurate it will be but say you have 100 people shot with .410 and 100 people shot with 12ga the odds are the study would show the 12 ga is more effective at stopping someone.

Then of course smaller calibers/ga can stop someone but how long will it take to stop them? Will they still have time to do more harm? How about proper bullet selection? This will make a big difference also.

Like I always say,my daddy fed us deer with a 410 single shot, SHOTGUN.
Yeah,slugs too,not bird shot.
I just don't think a Judge is the best way to present the 410 cartridge
Heck I have blown a hole through a grouse,with a 12ga and the dogs still chased it 50 yards

I hear a lot of people say that, or they would never trust their life to .410. But I can never get any of those people to volunteer to stand there and test how bad it really hurts to take a 000. buck to the chest.

Easy to say. If I survived long enough, would I get to put a .45 into your chest? And then perhaps slaughter your family? Because that is what the OP is asking about!

Check out the Winchester PDX1 defense load for the .410, I think it has a duplex load of buckshot and several "disk" shaped projectiles. It looks like it was designed specifically for "judge" type handguns. Looks like it would do the job for you. Sorry I don't have a link for you, just google it or whatever.

Check out the Winchester PDX1 defense load for the .410, I think it has a duplex load of buckshot and several "disk" shaped projectiles. It looks like it was designed specifically for "judge" type handguns. Looks like it would do the job for you. Sorry I don't have a link for you, just google it or whatever.

Yeah the disk shaped projectiles.
No.
I shot my Bond Arms snake slayer with those Russian disk loads at a pop can,from TEN FEET and didn't make a hole in it.
The rifling makes the disks act like a Frisbee and go everywhere but on target.Should have patterned it on paper.

410 for home defense = slugs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads