JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wear it over my non dominant eye. I've tried using the NVM with both eyes open and the eye that does not have the NVM over it closed as well and I always seem to default back to closing one eye to look through the NVM, which of course gets old after a while. What is the best way to use the NVM? And yes, I have an infrared laser for aiming.

I might switch to a night vision binocular setup instead but supposedly the monocular gives you other advantages.

Last edited by a moderator:
i always was taught to use systems like the 14 with both eyes open. didn't matter if it was patrolling, firing weapons, etc and i never felt at a disadvantage in training or a two way live fire event. I have had kids who never got used to it though. so i would say give it an honest effort as for some it takes time to get used too and go with what works for you.

Always both open. The night adapted one, has HUGE peripheral gain. Think dragonfly-eye. A flashlight glint a mile away… poof out of the corner of your eye - makes you turn your head/monocular to see.

The loo-roll effect of the PVS-14 field of view is a problem that your non dominant night adapted eye solves. Just takes time and practice.

I notice as I have aged, my night vision takes longer to adapt, maybe 1-2 hrs on a sliver of moon. I see nothing in the middle of the non-dominant eye, but the periferals are as sensitive as ever. I never use a flashlight anymore - I have found ways to do things like orienteering without.

Last Edited:
Always both open. The night adapted one, has HUGE peripheral gain. Think dragonfly-eye. A flashlight glint a mile away… poof out of the corner of your eye - makes you turn your head/monocular to see.

The loo-roll effect of the PVS-14 field of view is a problem that your non dominant night adapted eye solves. Just takes time and practice.

I notice as I have aged, my night vision takes longer to adapt, maybe 1-2 hrs on a sliver of moon. I see nothing in the middle of the non-dominant eye, but the periferals are as sensitive as ever. I never use a flashlight anymore - I have found ways to do things like orienteering without.

That actually has to do with how your eyes work, at night you can see objects and movement more easily by not looking directly at it. I read a book from an old SAS soldier that talked about this.

plus it looks cool when your eyes have one giant black pupil and one pupil the size of a pin head,, looks like you recently had a concussion.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top