Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

NICS Down Today

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Roger65, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Roger65

Roger65 Portland Active Member

Went to buy a gun and the background check system is down today. Read a post on the 1911 forum that a guy in Minnesota couldn't buy a gun today so the problem is nationwide I guess.

I wonder what the law is on this, how long can they halt guns sales cold because their system is down? I guess the outages have been sporadic, anyone successfully complete a background check today, 9-12-14?

2. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

If after 72 hours (or three business days) of a NICS submission and no response, an FFL can legally sell you that gun.

3. Roger65

There was no submission, no paperwork was filled out because the system was known to be down

4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Bear in mind that the FFL does not have to sell you the gun. It's at his discretion as I understand it. I've read of instances where this happened.

5. Roger65

Yeah, my understanding is that after three days of a "Delay" response the FFL may release the gun but is not required to. But right now NICS is completely dead, no responses at all.

I have bought lots of guns from this place so they just put it in back for me, no problem. I will pick it up when the system comes back up. I didn't even do a 4473 today, no point.

What weirded me out was thought that not a single gun was sold in the US today, with the exception of those states that do not require NICS for CCL holders.

6. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

NICS has been having trouble all week, since Sunday actually. I tried to sell a gun to somebody on Monday afternoon and they were 88th in the queue because OSP was having to do everything by hand (OSP's system, "FICS", uses NICS).

7. dlurvey

dlurvey Aloha, Oregon Member

I bought a gun today at a dealer. System was down so decided to go to lunch and to do a little shopping. About 1-1/2 hrs later got the call that I was approved. Sweet!!

8. Roger65

So is the system up again?

9. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

It was up at 1400.