Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Nickel Teflon coating

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ACBMWM3, Sep 4, 2009.

1. ACBMWM3

ACBMWM3 Seattle Area Member

Does anyone know a place that does Np3 (nickel teflon coating) in the greater seattle area??
    thanks

2. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Ain't the Seattle area but these guys are the originals..

http://www.robarguns.com/np3.htm

3. ACBMWM3

Im starting a line of lower and upper receivers and want to do then in black and nickel teflon. So it has to be local because shipping 500 receivers to phoenix and back would make the receivers like $1000 retail haha.

4. ACBMWM3

Nobody knows??

5. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not in the local area, but I believe ROBAR Industries does this on a relatively quick turnaround. they did my FN-Fal and OM gosh, very nice.. Sandy

6. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

Do your reasearch, find out the actual chemical process not the name robar uses and find a metal finishing shop that does it. You'd be surprised at the # of firearm finishes, that are simply named processes already in use in machining, automotive and other industries.

7. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

To krawl and all, I hope that "do you research" was not meant as a trashing of my post..
    Here is a link, with lots of info on NP3. I have had Robar work on several of my pieces and they are or at least have been pleasant to talk with, did what I wanted done, called when working on the pieces and ask about additional things they saw or thought would help. Very fair, and fast service, but that is just my take..

http://www.robarguns.com

This site has lots of links and info on Nickel/teflon coating and more..

Look at the Military and police brochere. It tells alot about the finishing and what else is available. There website has it all, but you must tab thru all the links at the top. Here's a bit about the NP3 finsishing:
    "
    NP3® Firearm Finish Our NP3 finish is an electroless nickel-based
    finish for steel, stainless steel and aluminum alloys that
    co-deposits sub-micron particles of PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene),
    otherwise known as Teflon, with electroless
    nickel.
    Robar’s NP3 metal finish offers many benefits
    — cleaning is minimal, usually requiring only a soft
    cloth. NP3 permits firing for longer periods of time
    between cleaning — dirt and powder residue have no
    wet or oily surface to cling to. NP3 is very corrosion
    resistant. It provides a high lubricity and low friction
    co-efficient, greatly increasing the life expectancy of
    a firearm due to reduced friction wear. NP3 is a satin
    gray, non-reflective color ideal for all firearms. NP3 can
    be plated to all internal parts giving smoothness to the
    action not found with any other coating. In cases where
    the NP3 has been perforated, the corrosion shows no
    tendency to spread or migrate under the coating. And
    it’s guaranteed for life(1).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  8. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

It wasn't meant as a trash at all, was being sincere. I thought to add it in before, but didn't think it would be taken that way. I'm sorry it did.

I still share the same sentiment. Find the AMS # if you can. I think you misunderstood my response actually reading yours further. most firearm refinishes are spill overs from other industries. My point was find out what chemical process Robar has named their NP3. Point was this:
    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6450271/description.html
    From this patent for drill bits:
    "To prevent, or reduce the tendency of, clay particles and larger, agglomerated masses thereof from sticking to the body or other features of a drill bit, the bit or selected portions thereof may be treated by coating with a codeposited layer of electroless nickel and polytetrafluoroethylene (offered under the trade name Teflon.RTM.)."

From Robar:
    "NP3 is a surface treatment for steel and metal alloys that combines sub-micron particles of PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene), otherwise known as Teflon, with electroless nickel. "

So with a little leg work, you may find a company close by that offers this finish, just without the name NP3, will still be the same chemical process.

9. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

haha Happy my post was meant to the OP, not you. My opinion still stands. With a little leg work the OP may find just what he wants/needs close by.