JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nickel plated brass is technically harder than regular brass cases. Thus the dies can show wear or marks on either. The harder the case, the more chances after much reloading that the dies will have worn.

I personally like the nickel plated cases, as the seem to show up cleaner in the same cleaning time.
When loaded, shooting at the reange, with others using factory ammo, I can usually spot my cases.. if that's and issue.
They usually cost more to purchase, even 1x fired.
After some 10k+plus nickel rounds in my 45 dies, I still have no problems, but that is only my experience.

Good luck loading, add a nice allow bullet and you have the silver bullet look.. away Tonto

Last Edited:
I personally avoid them because they are harder on your dies. I do have a couple in the mix that I run through but I wouldn't reload them exclusively. All that said I do run Starline Super brass through my press as well and they are quite hard and I haven't had any issues yet. Be sure to lube your cases with either a spray like One Shot (Graphite) or I personally prefer 3-in-one Professional Dry lube (Teflon). Make sure the cases are dry obviously before reloading. Those are both dry lubes and do not degrade powder or primers as long as you don't reload them until the cases are dry (10-15min and they are dry).

What are the advantages of using nickle plated brass?

None that I'm aware of except for the fact that it may be easier to pick up your brass and nobody else's at the range which somebody already pointed out here.

I'll stick to brass brass and reload any good brass I pick up. I'm not picky if you don't want your brass I'll take it.

What are the advantages of using nickle plated brass?

It's shiny and chrome-ish. Makes us gun lovers want to buy it because we identify with bright shiny things.

I heard a rumor that nickel doesn't corrode when stored in leather like brass does, so the cases are shiny-er and cleaner.

But it does harden when heated (like being shot) and can get pretty hard to the point where it "can" scratch your dies or wear on them.

Back when I reloaded 38spl for Cowboy Action Shooting I would load the revolver bullets in Nickle and the rifle bullets in brass so I could tell the difference in loads. They also looked nicer in my gun belt.

Primers seem to go in harder and they will or can scratch the dies, but not sure if this will effect any real performance. Looks good though but I will not spend the extra for them.....brass works fine for me

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top