JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is awesome to hear. I plan on making this my daily carry for the foreseeable future as well as a bow hunting side arm. Just got tired of polymer and didnt feel comfortable with a 9mm as a woods carry gun.

I carried a pre-29, 6-1/2" barrel, for 6+ years of my LEO time and it's now part of my Collection. The .44 Magnum isn't for everyone and I don't Carry one these days but then I haven't been "In the Woods" for extended periods in recent years.

I carried a pre-29, 6-1/2" barrel, for 6+ years of my LEO time and it's now part of my Collection. The .44 Magnum isn't for everyone and I don't Carry one these days but then I haven't been "In the Woods" for extended periods in recent years.
I find the 4" handier than the 6, I like the 3" a lot too but to me, a handgun is to be easily carried, otherwise, you are better off with a shotgun or rifle. I love my 1955 (M25) 45 acp (5 1/2") N frame at the range but to my hand, the 4" is a better carry gun. My 629 lives in my little survival pack (along with a box of ammo and shot shells) that travels with me most everywhere. If you were limited to Magnum ammo, it wouldn't be as versitle but with the ability to shoot 44 specials it is perfect. I also shoot a lot of shot shells at small varmints, snakes, grouse and even rabbits to good effect. I can kill a rattlesnake at 15 yards with a shotshells from the horse.

Being "On Duty" has its own advantages. I carried the Pistol in a Hoyt Front Break Holster with 2 HKS Speed Loaders and the other necessary items. The Hoyt made it so I could draw while still seated and belted in the Squad Car. The BIG Gun and LONG Barrel ended more Issues than most people can imagine! It also provided a Nice Security Blanket when I was an hour away from my Backup!!!

How tough is a nickle finish on a gun and how will it handle holster wear and daily use? I hav heard mixed answers from everyone I have talked to about it.
I have a Sig P229 Two-tone with electroless nickel that I had carried in a leather holster for 20 years with no sign of wear. Unfortunately, when I switched to a CrossBreed holster, the Kydex wore a bit of the finish off the slide within about a month. Needless to say, that CrossBreed is now enjoying retirement in the closet.

the electroless nickle finish on my new Gold Cup circa 1979 was looking good as new in 2016 when I passed it to my #1 son as a little treat. Innumerable range trips, some hunting afield journeys, not all that much holster use but always in an actual leather version, there was just no discernible finish wear.

I have a couple of older nickel plated guns that look like new, a H&A and H&R that are over 100 years old. A nickel plated gun from a second tier gun manufacturer before 1930 was cheaper than a blued one. They didn't have to be as finely polished as blued guns because the plating filled in all the imperfections. This is the reason you find guns that were never originally nickel plated done at a later date because of finish issues like rust and pitting, it covers up a multitude of sins.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top