JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought this new in 1984. I just took it out of the box for pictures. It has the shell plates for 308, 223 and 45auto. I'm getting back into reloading and decided to get a new 550 instead of using this one. The dies in the picture are not included. 509-969-4999.

image.jpg img host

image.jpg pc screenshot

image.jpg free jpeg images

image.jpg photo hosting sites

Boy thats an old girl!! I bought my RL550 from a guy and it was new in box from 91.. they had not changed anything major since then... Just a few things to make manufacturing easier.. awesome press's.

I had 3 members message me saying I should keep the shell plates as they will fit the 550. So I'll be keeping them and lowering the price to $250. Sorry for the confusion.

I was drooling on the fb group when you posted this one. If it doesn't sell soon, I may have to come down and pick it up from you. I really need to get into a blue press.

Does it have all the primer tubes and parts for bothe small and large primers, and the star piece for indexing the shell plate?

It's complete with all the primer tubes and small parts. I don't recall seeing the star piece, I'm thinking the 450 didn't come with one. I'll check for sure. One of the experts will probably chime in.

From the photo of the shell plate it looks like it has the holes for the star wheel, and then it appears there is an extra washer under the cap of the bolt holding the plate down? In the 550 it doesnt have said washer, so you may have to get a new bolt and star wheel from dillon. Really wish the 450's had removable plates like the 550.. this would turn into a precision press in no time.

Actually the 450 imho would be a better 'precision' press than the 550. The removable tool heads are great but they also introduce 'play' into the system. Having a 450 without that feature would mean the only 'play' you will have will be in how tight or loose you have your shell plate attached to the ram. There are even aftermarket items out there to help remove the 'play' in the tool heads for just this reason. I would get the nice Hornady split die lock nuts for my dies and dial this baby in. It would be a sweet little press.....

And yes, it appears the countersink in the shell plate is already there for the star wheel. I didn't know 450's did not come with that originally...most interesting.

I would kindly disagree with you John, I have been doing quite a bit of reading on accurizing my 550 that I already have, and there are some things that can be related to the 450, unfortunately it would be quite a bit harder to load more than a single caliber in such a manner on the 450, where the 550 you just swap a head and work on the next caliber.

There is some great reading about by the 6.5 guys, and then Scott Harris wrote a Wonderful article on how to accurize the RL550 for match grade ammo.
Precision from a Progressive Reloader

Dropbox - 12.23.15-Dillon-Prometheus-Article.pdf

Actually the 450 imho would be a better 'precision' press than the 550. The removable tool heads are great but they also introduce 'play' into the system. Having a 450 without that feature would mean the only 'play' you will have will be in how tight or loose you have your shell plate attached to the ram. There are even aftermarket items out there to help remove the 'play' in the tool heads for just this reason. I would get the nice Hornady split die lock nuts for my dies and dial this baby in. It would be a sweet little press.....

And yes, it appears the countersink in the shell plate is already there for the star wheel. I didn't know 450's did not come with that originally...most interesting.

Good info! I still have my Rock Chucker for precision work even though I don't have a real precision rifle or skills for that matter. Some suggested setting it up for single caliber and leaving it.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top