JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That is based on research for Form 1. I am not worried that it make take longer then what others have claimed. My main concern is that I cant get acknowledgment of the finger print cards being in their possession. As you are aware they contain all your sensitive information minus your bank account number: your name, address, SSN, and finger prints; so some accountability that they have them would be the least they can do.
You have a signed FedEx tracking number. That's pretty good if you ask me.

Well I got a denial today. Reason: Fingerprint cards must be on card stock, FD-258.

Now I printed these are thicker paper at a printing center. Reviewing the guidelines I cannot find anything about cardstock as a requirement. I am starting to assume they lost my fingerprints and this was an easy out. Correct me if I am wrong, but can anyone find where it says they must be on cardstock? Also cardstock is a generic term, I had much thicker then normal paper. Card stock can come in 65LB, 80LB, 110LB ect.

Well I got a denial today. Reason: Fingerprint cards must be on card stock, FD-258.

Now I printed these are thicker paper at a printing center. Reviewing the guidelines I cannot find anything about cardstock as a requirement. I am starting to assume they lost my fingerprints and this was an easy out. Correct me if I am wrong, but can anyone find where it says they must be on cardstock? Also cardstock is a generic term, I had much thicker then normal paper. Card stock can come in 65LB, 80LB, 110LB ect.
Fingerprints must be on actual fingerprint cards. Form FD-258 to be specific. Not a printed version of them. You can order these off Amazon or have the ATF mail you some.

Besides where it states this must happen, I'd like to know where you heard that they could be printed out?

Fingerprints must be on actual fingerprint cards. Form FD-258 to be specific. Not a printed version of them. You can order these off Amazon or have the ATF mail you some.

Besides where it states this must happen, I'd like to know where you heard that they could be printed out?
Thanks for the info, is there a refence source for this requirement? As far as where I heard they could be printed, I visited several tutorials sites, watched youtube videos, visited local .gov guidelines sites, ATF.gov guidelines ( Corel Office Document (atf.gov) ), and none mentioned card stock. They did say it can be done by individuals and doesn't require a professional.

Here on FBI site #13 says it can be printed on standard white paper stock and not standard card stock.: Identity History Summary Checks — FBI Now it does say other agencies may require card stock, but I couldnt find that in writing from the ATF.

Thanks for the info, is there a refence source for this requirement? As far as where I heard they could be printed, I visited several tutorials sites, watched youtube videos, visited local .gov guidelines sites, ATF.gov guidelines ( Corel Office Document (atf.gov) ), and none mentioned card stock. They did say it can be done by individuals and doesn't require a professional.

Here on FBI site #13 says it can be printed on standard white paper stock and not standard card stock.: Identity History Summary Checks — FBI Now it does say other agencies may require card stock, but I couldnt find that in writing from the ATF.
(2) If the applicant is an individual, the entire Form 1 shall be completed except for items 18 and 19. In addition, the applicant must include
his or her fingerprints on FBI Form FD-258 and his or her photographs (see instruction 2g)

Page 5 article 2 section D-2 of the actual form 1 you filled out states so.

(2) If the applicant is an individual, the entire Form 1 shall be completed except for items 18 and 19. In addition, the applicant must include
his or her fingerprints on FBI Form FD-258 and his or her photographs (see instruction 2g)

Page 5 article 2 section D-2 of the actual form 1 you filled out states so.

To be clear I did use FD-258 on thicker paper. Again no where there does it say it must be card stock or what weight. I called the NFA and they said their guidelines match whatever the FBI's are since they are processing them. FBI says they can be printed on normal white standard paper stock

To be clear I did use FD-258 on thicker paper. Again no where there does it say it must be card stock or what weight. I called the NFA and they said their guidelines match whatever the FBI's are since they are processing them. FBI says they can be printed on normal white standard paper stock
I guess I'm just confused why you wouldn't just use the actual form. You spent good money to use FedEx tracking with signature and you used a printed out a copy of the form instead of just using one of actual forms they issue?

Im not sure what's the big deal. Get the actual FBI card, not a print out, and file it.

I guess I'm just confused why you wouldn't just use the actual form. You spent good money to use FedEx tracking with signature and you used a printed out a copy of the form instead of just using one of actual forms they issue?

Im not sure what's the big deal. Get the actual FBI card, not a print out, and file it.
I did use the actual form in its most recent approved version. The thickness of the paper is the issue. Not sure how your response is helpful, if it is not required, why waste time ordering them?

What's the big deal? Lets see: Money wasted on shipping, 2 months wasted on the process, and the process now has to start over with potentially months of more headaches. I have heard when some issues arise the ATF will reach out to see if it can be corrected, not sure if this is true or not through.

I will also say the day after my case was escalated to a manager to look into, the next day I get a denial. That is not a coincidence.

I guess no reason to come back to this site if this is the kinda insight and responses given.

I did use the actual form in its most recent approved version. The thickness of the paper is the issue. Not sure how your response is helpful, if it is not required, why waste time ordering them?

What's the big deal? Lets see: Money wasted on shipping, 2 months wasted on the process, and the process now has to start over with potentially months of more headaches. I have heard when some issues arise the ATF will reach out to see if it can be corrected, not sure if this is true or not through.

I guess no reason to come back to this site if this is the kinda insight and responses given.
I'm seriously not trying to come off rude, I'm just not sure if it is something you are trying to prove against the ATF or?

I've done many form 1s and I've never thought to print out the FBI cards. I was told you must use the issued forms, and because of that I ordered a bunch. Every person I've known to file a form1 has done the same. All of those folks including myself have had no issues when using the forms they provide.

You are the only person I've ever heard of that has tried printing the form and using it in that manner. The fact you had an issue and got denied, only makes me think that using the issued fingerprint cards might be a good way to go about things.

That's why I'm still confused you are still fighting this?

Just get some of the issued cards, and call it a day...

I'm seriously not trying to come off rude, I'm just not sure if it is something you are trying to prove against the ATF or?

I've done many form 1s and I've never thought to print out the FBI cards. I was told you must use the issued forms, and because of that I ordered a bunch. Every person I've known to file a form1 has done the same. All of those folks including myself have had no issues when using the forms they provide.

You are the only person I've ever heard of that has tried printing the form and using it in that manner. The fact you had an issue and got denied, only makes me think that using the issued fingerprint cards might be a good way to go about things.

That's why I'm still confused you are still fighting this?

Just get some of the issued cards, and call it a day...
Nothing to prove, was hoping there was a way to correct this without starting over. I do a lot of research on anything I do and follow guidelines/policies.

Your thought process was different from mine and your first time you went off what someone told you, turned out to be correct. A lot of information is incorrect out there online, in-fact I found conflicting info on several tutorials for form 1's. I may be the only one you have heard of doing that, but online there are lots of examples of people doing that. So what do I do? Read the guidelines and requirements from the ATF/FBI.

I am not fighting it, I am over it. Let me ask you though, if you had wasted months of time as a customer to the ATF, would you not try to have an issue that should be a non-issue corrected? I have the correct thickness paper cards on order. I was hoping some insight into something could be done such as an appeal, contacting someone to send updated cards to, ect. Starting the process over is a last resort.

Nothing to prove, was hoping there was a way to correct this without starting over. I do a lot of research on anything I do and follow guidelines/policies.

Your thought process was different from mine and your first time you went off what someone told you, turned out to be correct. A lot of information is incorrect out there online, in-fact I found conflicting info on several tutorials for form 1's. I may be the only one you have heard of doing that, but online there are lots of examples of people doing that. So what do I do? Read the guidelines and requirements from the ATF/FBI.

I am not fighting it, I am over it. Let me ask you though, if you had wasted months of time as a customer to the ATF, would you not try to have an issue that should be a non-issue corrected? I have the correct thickness paper cards on order. I was hoping some insight into something could be done such as an appeal, contacting someone to send updated cards to, ect. Starting the process over is a last resort.

Did they give you a point of contact with the denial correspondence?

Did they give you a point of contact with the denial correspondence?
The denial is listed as Carol Ripley in the PDF, but I haven't had any correspondence from that person, and that is the only reference I have. They said Rebecca Sinclair was assigned my application.

In the eforms website I dont see anything that has changed as far as options, ask the experts is the only way to email them I think.

Honestly, it's only been a month. I've been an ATF customer many times. If I could start over after a month and get to start over to have it completed in 2 months, I'd F something up every single time.

Im on your side, they suck, their process sucks, their website sucks, their turn around sucks, their communication sucks. Unfortunately it hasn't and will not change.

You'll get through it, and be on your way to drilling some holes!

"In 4 to 12 weeks, after the FBI has checked your background, your Class III dealer will receive approval of transfer of the weapon to you." — "For Survival: Auto Weapons", American Survival Guide, February 1985

Thirty-six years later, after the greatest advancements in information technology in human history, Form 4s are floating around 5 — 12 months. :eek:

0294BFC1-F465-499A-847D-626580378E05.jpeg
Starting a new wait

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews