JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do I have to use my NFA tax stamp in a certain amount of time when I obtain approval? I ask because I make essentially minimum wage and would like to submit my checks for stamps and keep saving. I plan on getting 1 SBR stmap and 2 suppressor stamps

Your stamp is going to be fixed to a piece of paper with your photo and device info. That stamp is for that item only. Multiple items =multiple stamps.

BB the process is backwards from what you may be thinking.

For a Form 4 item (factory suppressor, factory SBR, etc.) you buy the NFA item first (let's say it's a $1200 SBR). You pay your local NFA dealer for the SBR, you then complete 2 copies of the Form 4 (and some other forms depending on if you are an individual or trust) and send all the required forms and your check for the $200 tax stamp to the BATFE. Then you wait, and wait, and wait some more…

Then, one day in the very distant future, you get a call from your NFA dealer that your toy is now approved and you go and pick it (and the tax stamped Form 4) up.

The process for making an NFA item is different (Form 1) and I have no experience with this so I will defer to much smarter folks here for that guidance.

BTW, are you really in Santa Monica? You know the People's Republic of Canweforkya really doesn't cotton to most things NFA related. Hell, they pretty much hate guns in general which is one of the reasons lost of us fled that state.

Hope this helps.

Ahhhhh, thank you for clearing those things up. I thought the order was the other way around. This makes much more sense.

Yes, I live in Santa Monica. I am actually in Portland right now. I'm checking out what part of the city I'd like to live in since I plan on moving up in December. Also drove across the boarder to Vancouver to get my Washington CPL.

I excited about moving out of CA. I needed to pick a school to transfer to and truthfully top 3 reasons were gun laws. OR taxes, cost of living, and culture were also a big influence. Rent in NW/SW Portland is 60%-65% of what I pay in Santa Monica!

The process for making an NFA item is different (Form 1) and I have no experience with this so I will defer to much smarter folks here for that guidance.
I have been looking to Form 1 a SBR or 2 myself. The process to do that is pretty straight forward. For example, if you want to SBR an AR, you can buy the stripped lower, fill out the Form 1 and send it and the necessary supporting stuff to the ATF with that check for $200. While you are waiting for the Form 1 to come back, you can have your lower engraved. with the necessary info. If you are filing as an individual, then that would be your name, city, and state.

More form 1 info: Complete Guide of how to complete a Form 1

Plus, an AR can be built and used legally in the waiting time as a pistol configuration, then a shoulder stock and forward grip added after you receive your SBR stamp.

I like that idea. My issue is I work minimum wage job so I can buy guns/ammo and a few other hobbies. The process of saving money for 6-8 months to buy something vs 2-3 months is a lot easier mentally. I'd like to be able to buy a lower, call it my SBR+submit NFA paperwork, then buy the upper as I wait stamp to come back(pistol), then finally put a stock on my pistol when I get the right paper work. Is this possible legally?

Does that make sense?

The laws in your state are somewhat explained in this article;

Short-barreled Rifles
Short summary for Short Barreled Rifle length requirement:

• 16 inch barrel (Federal and California)
  • 26 inch overall length (Federal and California)
  • 30 inches or greater for semiautomatic centerfire rifles, to avoid 'assault weapon' status (California only)
It seems some people mistakenly believe SBR (short-barreled rifle) issues - those rifles under 16" bbl/ under 26" overall length - are just matters of CA AW law.... and these people think they can go to NV or AZ, assemble an SBR there, and dismantle it before returning to CA.

Some of this problem is really caused by the 30" length issue specified in CA AW law - making these folks thinking they can "avoid just that situation" and not realizing there's a whole 'nuther body of applicable laws outside the CA AW sphere.

SBRs are generally illegal except if NFA registered (unlikely for newer guns in CA regardless of AW matters). Separate SBR permits are needed to be CA legal. CA SBR laws are COMPLETELY SEPARATE from CA AW laws - even if you're clean on AW matters you can be popped Federally and/or in CA for SBR laws.

'Constructive possession' of SBRs indeed exists for SBRs, especially under CA law. These are not wobblers, either. So:

• Do NOT get 'cute' and slip a buttstock on your AR pistol buffer tube.
  • Do NOT have shorty upper(s) unless you own legit pistol lower(s).
  • Do NOT own a buttstock if you only have an AR pistol but no AR rifle.
  • Just because you go out of CA, you can't SBR your rifle. Feds don't like this.
Remember due to People v Rooney that minimum overall length of a rifle WITHIN CALIFORNIA is measured with any folding/collapsible stock CLOSED, and not open. [This is more strict than the Federal standard which allows the overall length to be measure with stock open, such that some sub-26" rifles when folded up are still Federally legal.]

I'm moving to portland at end of the year and I'm visiting right now. I'm here checking out where to live and went by some gun stores, also did my washington CPL yesterday. This is "northwestfirearms" after all. :p

I'll ask my SBR question again though

I like that idea. My issue is I work minimum wage job so I can buy guns/ammo and a few other hobbies. The process of saving money for 6-8 months to buy something vs 2-3 months is a lot easier mentally. I'd like to be able to buy a lower, call it my SBR+submit NFA paperwork, then buy the upper as I wait stamp to come back(pistol), then finally put a stock on my pistol when I get the right paper work. Is this possible legally?

Does that make sense?

So my rifle wouldn't be a rifle until NFA paperwork came back. Until then, it'd be pistol only with the proper engravings depending on trust/individual. I would not buy the stock until I received approval to avoid constructive possession of SBR.

Last Edited:
You got it.
When you move, if you move in-state, you don't HAVE to do anything, but ATF REQUESTS that you write them and let them know your new address.

If you move out-of-state, you HAVE to file a 5320.20 interstate transport authorization before you move the guns.

Ahhh I see.

Last question (for now)- if I build a sbr can I change out the uppers if it's in the same caliber? Can I put a 16in rifle upper on my sbr if the need arrises? Also, could I switch out uppers in different calibers?

Just leave it as a "pistol " and you're good to go with whatever you want on top.
When you receive the SBR stamp, then the shoulder stock can be installed, and you can swap around any length barrel, as long as you don't make it shorter then the stated build length on the form 1 application.

Hmm that's what I figured. I want to be able to put a 16in on a 9in. The guy at the gun shop told me that's illegal but he also said my oregon chl wouldn't allow me to open carry in portland.:rolleyes: I don't plan on it but I want to carry full size and not worry about printing.

Ahhh I see.

Last question (for now)- if I build a sbr can I change out the uppers if it's in the same caliber? Can I put a 16in rifle upper on my sbr if the need arrises? Also, could I switch out uppers in different calibers?
You can put any length upper on you SBR lower. Any caliber that your lower can shoot as well. 9mm, .22lr, 300 blackout, and others.

image.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads