JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I paid for my suppressor on Jan 16th, my dealer said we can't start the paperwork until he gets the serial number, which he won't have until he physically has it. Anyways, he said he would have it in a week and would call me to come in to start the process. After two weeks, I didn't hear anything so dropped in when I was in the neighborhood.

He claims it couldn't ship because his distributor couldn't get some efile authorization from the ATF due to the govt shutdown. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue or is the dealer blowing smoke?

Not smoke. ATF is in cahoots due to shutdown.

They aren't even able to provide updates currently via their own hotline.

Welcome to the poopshow!

TRUE.

Form 3s (dealer to dealer or distributor/mfg to dealer) requests just started to flow.
I haven't yet heard of a Form 4 coming through post-shutdown, and can only guess that they are prioritizing Form 3 backlog.

Welcome to the waiting period. Last summer was the good ol' days when wait times were creeping down to 6 months. Now I expect Form 4 (trust) turnaround to be closer to 10 months or more. I wish it weren't so, and only time will tell.

On the 29th SilencerShop said they had dozens of Form 3s approved over the course of a few hours, and all of them were dated 12/23.

Since they are likely processing them FIFO, it may be a while before they get around to any recent Form 3s.

Now for the more important question...

What did you buy?

:D
I have 3 in the queue. 300 Chimera and a 45K, plus a Bowers Bitty(.22). But I have a question for the group.

I have an SBR and 3 cans using a trust, but with trusts taking 9-12 months and efiles taking 2-3 why should I use a trust? My only child hates guns so she won't use them or want them. Once I'm dead, what would be the difference which way I went? Is there a secondary market to resell them or do I have to do some odd transaction involving stamps?

I have 3 in the queue. 300 Chimera and a 45K, plus a Bowers Bitty(.22). But I have a question for the group.

I have an SBR and 3 cans using a trust, but with trusts taking 9-12 months and efiles taking 2-3 why should I use a trust? My only child hates guns so she won't use them or want them. Once I'm dead, what would be the difference which way I went? Is there a secondary market to resell them or do I have to do some odd transaction involving stamps?
Best bet would be to find someone to survive you that you like and add them to your trust so they could take them upon your death.

First of all, efile is only for Form 1s currently, so the shorter approval time only applies to things you are building, not purchasing.

Second, I don't believe there's anything preventing you from efiling as a trust; you just need to upload the appropriate documents.

Efile form 1 trust questions - AR15.COM

The only thing I'm not sure about is transferring items out of the trust when you die.

If you want everything to go to one person, that's easy. I believe you would just need to add them as a responsible party or beneficiary.

If you want to split them up to different people, you could add everyone to the trust, or I believe there is a way to split things into new, separate trusts. That's lawyer territory, though.

As an individual, I believe they are transferred for free to "legal heirs" on a Form 5. I don't know if that also applies to trusts.

There's a lot of legalese to work through to find the answers to all these questions, which is why it's likely best left to a lawyer that speaks that language fluently...

Last Edited:
I'll pile them in the front yard for you

And they intend to come and grab them it won't matter how they are owned
We are getting to see this already due to baby boomers passing and being the first within the NFA registry.

The ATF doesn't go around checking to see if those on the registry are alive or not. So if someone dies and the items are not correctly passed down. They kind of disappear.

Any future registration is greatly appreciated in the ATFs eyes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top