JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So do you think it is a good idea to pay the tax stamp for a SBR OR SUPPRESSOR now with all the B.S. gun control LAWS that are being filed and if they are voted in would I get my money back if I never got a chance to get my SBR OR SUPPRESSOR

SBR's and suppressors aren't going anywhere. If anything, cans may stop being NFA regulated with the HPA.

SBR's and suppressors aren't going anywhere. If anything, cans may stop being NFA regulated with the HPA.
I guess what I was trying to say is if I go through the whole process and then WA STATE makes them illegal before I receive a stamp what happens then I'm out the 200 plus I Owen something that I don't have

I hope you are correct but neither have been legal in California for many years even with a stamp........I don't see much standing in the way of Oregon and Washington replicating the California law.

And with a over six month wait who knows what could happen I want a can and a SBR but if I fork out 1200 to 1500 bucks and then can't have it I'm not going to be happy

I am sure if that were to happen, the NFA items would be sent out of state to a dealer where they could be resold. After all, you own them but just couldn't posses them. It is something to think about.

I guess what I was trying to say is if I go through the whole process and then WA STATE makes them illegal before I receive a stamp what happens then I'm out the 200 plus I Owen something that I don't have

If an NFA application is denied for some reason, including ownership being illegal in a given state, they do (eventually) refund you. How long they take to do so varies. The instructions at the end of the Form 4 has some details.

MUM3BEZ.png

Last Edited:
I had a Saiga 12 AK47 12 gage shotgun. Got a NFA BATFE tax stamp for a SBS. Short Barrel Shotgun. Never cut the barrel. Never built the shotgun. I asked the BATFE to remove the shotgun from the NFA SBS roles. They complied. Removed from roles. Then I sent them back the tax stamp. Got a $200 buck check in the mail from the US Treasury. I sold the gun.

They did this because the shotgun had never been cut. The refund took about 2 months.

So do you think it is a good idea to pay the tax stamp for a SBR OR SUPPRESSOR now with all the B.S. gun control LAWS that are being filed and if they are voted in would I get my money back if I never got a chance to get my SBR OR SUPPRESSOR
You wouldn't get your money back on an SBR, and the bill that had provisions to refund suppressor stamps died in 2015.

If you don't want to pay, you don't get to play.

You wouldn't get your money back on an SBR, and the bill that had provisions to refund suppressor stamps died in 2015.

If you don't want to pay, you don't get to play.
That's what I was thinking because if I start the process now and it is illegal in the future I'm screwed thank you for playing

would I get my money back if I never got a chance to get my SBR
You wouldn't get your money back on an SBR

From the ATF's National Firearms Act Handbook (relevant sections underlined):

§ 479.64 Procedure for approval of application.

The application to make a firearm, Form 1 (Firearms), must be forwarded directly, in duplicate, by the maker of the firearm to the Director in accordance with the instructions on the form. The Director will consider the application for approval or disapproval. If the application is approved, the Director will return the original thereof to the maker of the firearm and retain the duplicate. Upon receipt of the approved application, the maker is authorized to make the firearm described therein. The maker of the firearm shall not, under any circumstances, make the firearm until the application, satisfactorily executed, has been forwarded to the Director and has been approved and returned by the Director with the National Firearms Act stamp affixed. If the application is disapproved, the original Form 1(Firearms) and the remittance submitted by the applicant for the purchase of the stamp will be returned to the applicant with the reason for disapproval stated on the form. § 479.65 Denial of application. An application to make a firearm shall not be approved by the Director if the making or possession of the firearm would place the person making the firearm in violation of law.

§ 479.65 Denial of application.

An application to make a firearm shall not be approved by the Director if the making or possession of the firearm would place the person making the firearm in violation of law.

Section 6.8 Withdrawal or Cancellation of an ATF Form 1 and Refund of Making Tax. The Form 1 applicant may withdraw the application by submitting a request, in writing, to the Chief, NFA Branch. The applicant may also cancel an approved Form 1 application by submitting a request, in writing, to the Chief, NFA Branch. The request for cancellation must state that the firearm was not made and must include the approved Form 1 with the stamp affixed. The NFA Branch will amend the NFRTR to reflect the withdrawal or cancellation of the application and arrange for the refund of the making tax. A request for cancellation may only be done if the firearm has not already been manufactured. If the firearm is made, the tax liability is incurred and the applicant cannot seek a cancellation.

That's what I was thinking because if I start the process now and it is illegal in the future I'm screwed thank you for playing

If the hypothetical law banning the SBR before said is approved/you built (F1) or physically take possession of it (F4), you can get your money back. The ATF will certainly deny it because they cannot approve a firearm that they know is illegal for you to own in the state. And you can request a cancellation and receive a refund too. See the relevant NFA rules above and the instructions on the linked Form 1 and Form 4.

If the hypothetical law passes after it is approved and you build it or pick it up, you could not receive a refund. If you could retain possession would be if the hypothetical law grandfathered in previous SBRs or not. Since we're talking about "what ifs" there is no way of knowing what such a law would contain.

Last Edited:
Well..... My feeling is that if the $200 is such a big deal maybe NFA stuff just isnt for you. I have a couple dozen NFA items... I have 4 at the moment I am waiting for the stamps to come in.

The $200 is just part of the cost, Millions of people have paid it and so far its not been a big deal. Buck up and get yourself an SBR built and quit worrying about it. The worst thing that could happen is you would be out $200.... Is that really a deal killer?

Well..... My feeling is that if the $200 is such a big deal maybe NFA stuff just isnt for you. I have a couple dozen NFA items... I have 4 at the moment I am waiting for the stamps to come in.

The $200 is just part of the cost, Millions of people have paid it and so far its not been a big deal. Buck up and get yourself an SBR built and quit worrying about it. The worst thing that could happen is you would be out $200.... Is that really a deal killer?
Oh yeah well good for you in Idaho I don't give a $#!+ About $200 dollars I spend that on beer but I do give a $#!+ When I'm giving $200 bucks to a government that can't protect my rights and will let a state government take away my rights THAT WHY IM SO HAPPY AND HOPEFULLY THE FEDS WILL COME INTO WA OR AND CALIFORNIA AND CONFISCATE MONEY AND ARREST MULTIPLE PEOPLE CONNECTED TO THE WEED MARKET this will eliminate a big problem in government and on the streets

Don't get to excited about living in Idaho and having what you got you are next on the list 5 years ago WA was like Idaho now look they will be coming your way next

I have seen the post falls ID and Courda lane area grow more than double in the last few years Boise too enjoy it while you can it's coming bro if you say it's not your blind

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top