Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Next purchase..G17 or G43?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Kruejl, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

So I like Glocks. If you don't, its okay but flame someone else. I'm going to be in the market next month to add to the collection. I already have a G19 and a G42. So...Do I go with the G17 or the G43. I like both of my current setups. I carry the G42 IWB and the G19 OWB in the winter. I of course like shooting the G19 better. Any input would be appreciated!!

H2O MAN likes this.
  2. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

I'm diggin my G34.

3. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Ha! I have looked at the G34 as well. My neighbor has one and I dig the sight radius!

4. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

I shot it again today and after adjusting my grip and paying closer attention to the trigger pull its went from shooting low left to x-ring :D

5. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

I have purchased 7 g17 pistols over the years. Currently have 2.

shot the 43. It's kind of meh. If you want a BUG though it would be the ticket.

Did I mention I love the g17?

Also although this isn't one of the choices I got a g20 recently and I absolutely love it. It did not break my wrists or jump out of my tiny hands on its own. Very manageable and shoots lights out.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  6. Kruejl

Although I love the 10mm, I'm trying to narrow down my ammo calibers. If money grew on my trees, I'd have the G20 in 2 seconds.

clearconscience likes this.
  7. Fordcragar

Fordcragar Renton, Washington Active Member

I have a Glock 43 it is a gun that I don't shoot very well. It might be operator error though. You might like it though if you have a G42. You might try shooting one first.

8. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

By my logic, if you already have a G19 you're already covered with an excellent main sidearm, go for the G43 as a BUG. I am NOT a fan of the 380 round, and the G42 and G43 are essentially the same size, but 9mm is WAY better and more plentiful.

I EDC between a G30 and a G19.4 and a G43 w/+1 grip extension for a BUG (and sometimes I just pocket-carry it while in shorts, T-shirt, and flip-flops like I did this morning while trimming my 100' long front hedgerow that parallels the public sidewalk)

Here's my pocket carry kit... works awesome for my needs.
    image.jpg

Doc In UPlace, MikeE and The Courier like this.
  9. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a BUG in your 42 and an EDC in your 19, I'd probably opt for a 17 or 34 with a weapon light as a dedicated house gun. If I was you, I'd eventually sell the 42 and pick up a 43 for ammo commonality.

Im a 26/17 guy myself.

d2the3 likes this.
  10. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Flip a coin. You will have them both eventually anyway. :D

I'm a M&P guy now, but I do have a soft spot for the G34!

11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Gawd I have own many blocks...I mean clocks:confused: and had to look the 43 up,lol
    I would buy the small double stack instead of the 43 because the mags are universal for all the rest of the double stacks.(26?). Just makes more sence to me.
    The 43 is just too small for me though
    Then get the 20 to have some fun with!

12. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I love the G20 I just bought. I have a G17 and G34. If I had to pick on I'd go the 34 all day long.
    I do want to get a G19 to round out the 9mm collection though. I would rather had a 19 than a 17.

(I also have a G26)

308 and mjbskwim like this.
  13. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Id get the one that'll have restrictions on its mags first.

Slobray, mjbskwim and spookshack like this.
  14. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

I'm a Glock fanboy here (27 converted to 9, 19, 17, 22). Years ago when I first saw a 26 and held it I scoffed and had no idea why it even existed. But today, I think it may be the perfect Glock. Actually I really believe in my converted 27, but the 26 is close. You can put a 17 mag (with an X-Grip) in a 19, but the 19 can never be as small as a 26.

And the 43 is the same footprint as the 26, just a bit thinner.

MikeE likes this.
  15. CHLChris

CHLChris Portland Metro East Love me some guns! Bronze Supporter

On the other hand, if you have any plans at all to compete, the 17 is really competitive!

I shoot my 17 (with a DeltaPoint) in USPSA carry optics.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  16. The Courier

The Courier Newberg, Oregon Well-Known Member

I didn't think much of the 43 at first but after about 500 rounds of 124gr. down range I can't see myself letting go of it anytime soon. Both are good choices but if you do decide on a 43 I highly recommend checking out the Talo exclusive w/ hackathorn sights, absolutely wonderful when practicing draw and fire.

17. H2O MAN

H2O MAN Georgia - USA Well-Known Member

I started out with a 17 in '85, and it continues to me one of my favorite 9mm Glock pistols.
    Small frame pistols don't fit my hands well, so I stick with full capacity 17s, 20s, and 21s.

mjbskwim likes this.
  18. Barefoot African

Barefoot African Saint Helens Oregon Active Member

If I needed a pistol for my wife it would be hands down the Glock 43. She has "size small" hands and long skinny fingers, and no meat, and it fit her hand perfectly. Me I can run it but it's less than ideal.

I have "size medium" hands and the Glock 17 is perfection. I would be inclined to look at 17+1 x 5" barrels in a full sized pistol. Walther, Steyr L9 (both glock 17-ish) --- XDm 5.25 and Glock 34. sight radius just helps my eyes.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  19. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

I love the gen4 17, and the 2mm beavertail backstrap.

20. Kruejl

See, that's my dilemma. I shoot a LOT of steel plate. Nothing competitive but I think I might be able to break into it and I know the 17 seems to be a common choice for 3 gun and pistol matches. Last time out I shot with a seasoned professional competitor and he told me I should give it a try. I was running my G19 at the time and he had the 17.