JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am building up my hunting gear for the last few years as I take it more seriously. But the biggest challenge I have every year is my fitness level. So I want to find a trainer that will get me in shape so putting on more miles in any terrain isn't as taxing. This year at elk season I had a hell of a time getting back to camp after only dropping a few hundred feet. It made me realize if I got an elk it would be even harder to pack it out. So do any of you know of a good trainer that can get me started and motivated? Any help would be awesome.

Intrinsic Motivation. Instead of a trainer, do you have a dedicated hunting partner? The best way to get in hunting shape is to scout areas you'll be hunting and hike locally when time is short. Working on exercises where you manipulate your body weight are helpful too. Things like pushups, lunges, squats, crunches, and stretch a lot. Do plenty of cardio to get your wind. This way you'll:

1: Get in shape
2: Find animals
3: Break in your gear

My hunting partners are family. But none are my hunting buddy's if that makes sense. I have planned to hike an area I'm interested in for birds. I also want to learn animal behavior too so maybe time out is the best answer.

My hunting partners are family. But none are my hunting buddy's if that makes sense. I have planned to hike an area I'm interested in for birds. I also want to learn animal behavior too so maybe time out is the best answer.

Thats a great idea. You can map out some vantage points and hike up and glass the area to find animals and just watch what they do. I'd even bring a steno pad and take notes.

Last Edited:
Go join a gym.
If you can't take your hunting pack and/or meat carrier load it up with some weight and start going on walks around the neighborhood.
Add weight as you get used to it.
Stop each block or every 100ft and do some air squats.
Do some push ups daily too.

Increase weight and distance as you get used to it.

Once you feel your in better shape. Find a long hill, steep hills. And go up and down. Many times.
Start slow, a couple days a week and as hunting season closes in do it at least 3-4 days a week at a good distance.

I got myself in bad shape the last couple years.
Then wanted to do a spartan race, I accidentally signed up for the Beast event. 13+ miles with obstacles.
I got a treadmill for my garage. Started going a mile a night, jogging and walking a few days a week. In the month before the event I was running 3 miles 5 nights a week and doing some box step ups weight weight, bicep curls, and shoulder presses.

All this before hunting season. The spartan race was my reason to push me to get ready, the training for hunting was my goal.

Even though I was unsuccessful elk hunting, I can say it wasn't for a lack of effort.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top