JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Next Great Depression? MIT researchers predict

A new study from researchers at Jay W. Forrester's institute at MIT says that the world could suffer from "global economic collapse" and "precipitous population decline" if people continue to consume the world's resources at the current pace.

Smithsonian Magazine writes that Australian physicist Graham Turner says "the world is on track for disaster" and that current evidence coincides with a famous, and in some quarters, infamous, academic report from 1972 entitled, "The Limits to Growth."

Produced for a group called The Club of Rome, the study's researchers created a computing model to forecast different scenarios based on the current models of population growth and global resource consumption. The study also took into account different levels of agricultural productivity, birth control and environmental protection efforts. Twelve million copies of the report were produced and distributed in 37 different languages.

Most of the computer scenarios found population and economic growth continuing at a steady rate until about 2030. But without "drastic measures for environmental protection," the scenarios predict the likelihood of a population and economic crash.

However, the study said "unlimited economic growth" is still possible if world governments enact policies and invest in green technologies that help limit the expansion of our ecological footprint.

The Smithsonian notes that several experts strongly objected to "The Limit of Growth's" findings, including the late Yale economist Henry Wallich, who for 12 years served as a governor of the Federal Research Board and was its chief international economics expert. At the time, Wallich said attempting to regulate economic growth would be equal to "consigning billions to permanent poverty."

Turner says that perhaps the most startling find from the study is that the results of the computer scenarios were nearly identical to those predicted in similar computer scenarios used as the basis for "The Limits to Growth."

"There is a very clear warning bell being rung here," Turner said. "We are not on a sustainable trajectory."

Last Edited:
On the extreme outside our dollar will completely crash by 2020 at our current spend rate, that comes from the econmists who can see what is going in the world and where we are headed, the one at MIT are not living in the real world.

As far as already being in it that is 100% correct, it just has completely collapsed which what they leading to, a complete weimar republic - Google Search

Weimar Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2030; now that is hilarious - I really wish it were true though. That the Ponzi could be held together that much longer.

All fiat currency economies are already in a state of collapse. Money creation out of thin air is temporarily propping things up, but make no mistake, the key word is temporary. The US will fall the farthest of course. Result of trashed manufacturing and production in favor of a service/consumer economy that has really only one export left; death and war. Moral fiber and high ground; gone.

Without hyperbole or exaggerations, this video is my current favorite in its ability to explain what has happened, but more importantly, why nothing is being done. Makes it clear that there will be no political solutions whatsoever. Only the deluded would even bother to vote for the next puppet at this point. A futile endeavor.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here is the working video all in one. I can't post it here so just use the link.. it's essential historical info as to what brought us to this juncture

<broken link removed>

time to get down and buy a bunch of garden seed. and put it away somewehre.. think how much simpler lifes going to be "without stuff"

time to get down and buy a bunch of garden seed. and put it away somewehre.. think how much simpler lifes going to be "without stuff"

I bought a bunch of heirloom or Organics and put away each in its own mylar bag ( I cut them down to size from big ones) I also bought a bunch of Hybrids, I figure first few years maximum garden size and lost to critters will happen. I labeled each one so i know what it is and itf it is Heirloom or Organic I put a circled H on the mylar.

OK, here is the working video all in one. I can't post it here so just use the link.. it's essential historical info as to what brought us to this juncture

<broken link removed>

I listened to this last night while I was mylaring a bunch of stuff, great video, very long bunch it compiles everything I have heard from economic and history experts, and all of the things i have read. I guess the Bilderberg conspiracy itheory is has been validated as to not be a theory but a fact after all.

This depression will have nothing to do with ecology, it will be all about a government that spends more than it makes. World wide issues with national debt is the real reason we will see a depression, the green boogeyman is just an excuse.

I listened to this last night while I was mylaring a bunch of stuff, great video, very long bunch it compiles everything I have heard from economic and history experts, and all of the things i have read. I guess the Bilderberg conspiracy itheory is has been validated as to not be a theory but a fact after all.

On a lighter note, the only thing that drove me crazy was the constant pointing/tapping with his damn pencil!!! LOL. Other than that, one of the best videos on money, banking, and the Fed ever made. Every bit as true now as in 1996. In fact, everything he said about us being consumed by debt and eventually bankrupted and hijacked has come true.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top