JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The cost of my Glock 19 MOS with RMR project is getting higher than I like.

I am looking at an S&W M&P9c and sight mounts that fit into the rear dovetail. Get a night site for the front and paint a vertical stripe on the back of the RMR base to substitute for the rear site.

@Nick Burkhardt
http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/razor_red_dot
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/razor-red-dot-handgun-mount-smith-wesson-m-p

I have this set up on my Full Size.

What I don't like is the slow speed to turn on the red dot. For a carry it might be too slow.

If you find a source, or machinist, you might be able to make a dove tail to fit one of the other red dot models - like the Viper or Venom. This is simply an issue of having a different dove tail bracket - and drilled & tapped to match the other models.

I own a Viper also, - so if I could get the other dove tail, I'll move the Razor to my Mini and install the Viper on my pistol.

I believe that this is not a difficult job for a machinist. Approx 1in S&W angle dove tail with 2 drilled and tapped holes - those have to match the Optic - thru bolts secure the optic to the dove tail.

And of course the S&W is a bit more challenging than a Glock when it comes to removing the rear sight (red thread locker on the set screw & spring loaded striker block is held in place by the rear sight) You can bang them out, that is not recommended - a pusher should be used.

Some discussion here:
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/optic-for-carry-pistol.213243/

My EDC is a Ruger LC9. Back pocket is a Tarus TCP .380. The M&P Shield seems to be a good choice. 3 of my kids have bought them in the last 3 months. They were all .40 and .45 carriers, but like me ix it up quite a bit.

I think my next one is going to be the S&W SDEV .40. I have an empty space in a tactical vest that needs filled, and that seems like a good choice, and my boys can stop giving me sh*t about not having the bigger caliber. Like I need a reason to buy another gun.

223400_01_md.jpg

Taurus TCP in a wallet style holster

I dont own any of them but those are on my "to purchase list".

I am however going to carry the TCP quite soon once I get my hands on one with a stainless slide.

Come this winter I wanted to try carrying a G21 if all else fails Ill pick up a G30 and go with that.

Thinking of going back to a revolver.
A M-1895 Nagant. Compact for its barrel length (4.5"), seven shooter, double action revolver! Unusual "gas sealing" technology for a boost in muzzle velocity!:D

I think my next one is going to be the S&W SDEV .40. I have an empty space in a tactical vest that needs filled, and that seems like a good choice, and my boys can stop giving me sh*t about not having the bigger caliber. Like I need a reason to buy another gun.

I was looking at that for a bug out bag gun, but the trigger is not that great, the magazines are not interchangeable with other Smith and Wessons, and the sights are meh. The sights can be replaced with M&P sights, but after you do that add an Apex trigger and buy an extra magazine, you had might as well spend the extra money and get an M&P40.

I have been looking at a nice smaller size revolver as sort of a pack and forget gun. A break top Shofield might be just the thing, but kinda hard to come by. and Forget the Python, the prices have gone through the roof on them!

Opppss, already did it it...

Rossi model 35, quite comfortable even with .38 + P's... Pretty darn accurate too... It's been ages since I've run a 2" .38, forgot how much fun they could be...

Run this and a couple of speed loaders, not bad as a backup...

image.jpeg

I was looking at that for a bug out bag gun, but the trigger is not that great, the magazines are not interchangeable with other Smith and Wessons, and the sights are meh. The sights can be replaced with M&P sights, but after you do that add an Apex trigger and buy an extra magazine, you had might as well spend the extra money and get an M&P40.

As someone with an SD40VE with the Apex trigger, and another mag, and a Galloway recoil spring... You're more or less correct.

My EDC is a Ruger LC9. Back pocket is a Tarus TCP .380. The M&P Shield seems to be a good choice. 3 of my kids have bought them in the last 3 months. They were all .40 and .45 carriers, but like me ix it up quite a bit.

View attachment 290919

I have to agree with Nick on this one. I've owned the SD40VE. It's a nice gun at a nice price, but for a little more, you can have a much better gun. And I can offer you up something you may not have considered - if you go with the M&P 40 instead, you can buy a conversion barrel from Storm Lake and shoot 9mm out of the same gun, which is, coincidentally, what I do with my M&P 40 ;) (Need 9mm mags too, of course).

If you don't mind a used gun, Bud's carries a variety of Police Trade M&P 40's in various conditions at prices starting at $319!! and running up to just under $400 - and that will typically include 3 magazines instead of 2. So long as you don't mind seeing some potential holster wear or a police department marking on the slide, it can easily save you about $100 on a very nice, very usable gun. My only qualification in buying a police trade online is to be sure to check it over at the FFL before you receive it. I've owned a couple of police trades and all but one have been great. The one bad one had a problem and the mags would not release, so I sent it back for another. You may or may not get the box and accessories, but you will get magazines. Night sights, if included, aren't guaranteed and likely won't be 100%. But again, you're looking at saving at least $100, so it's a decent deal.

Here's a list of the current police trades at Bud's - there are other online stores that have them too:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/654_910/Used+Guns/Police+Trade-Ins

As for my police trade M&P 40, I ended up with one from the California State Parks - which is engraved on the slide, alongside the bear from the CA flag. While I'm not a CA fan, I do like the logo ;) Photo is not of mine, but it looks identical. Night sights were also very good and no holster wear on this one.

IMG_1999_zpsilqgezrx.jpg

To my mind, it is all about grip length, not so much about slide width. If you can conceal the G19 grip with a particular type of wardrobe, the Shield won't gain you much. The Shield's grip is the same length as the 19.

If you want a between gun there is a choice to make. If you want single stack for the thinness, then you may want to focus on the G43 or the Kahr PM9. If you are willing to double, then the G26 is significantly shorter in the grip than the 19. And all your training on the 19 will transfer over perfectly to either the 26 or the 43.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top