JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No New Truck for Women Shot During Dorner Manhunt | NBC Southern California

According to Jonas, LAPD and Galpin Ford wanted his clients to pose for a photo opportunity and pay income tax on the truck. The women no longer want the truck after they were told they needed to fill out a 1099 form for the donation, Jonas said Monday.

"You tried to murder the woman, now you're telling her she can't have a four-wheel drive, you're telling her she can't sell it and you've got to be taxed on it?" Jonas said. "How would anyone react to that?"

Jonas plans on filing a government claim, which is a precursor to any lawsuit filed against a government agency. He said he felt the truck was being touted as a "reward or prize" instead of a sincere gesture by the LAPD.

Galpin Ford estimates the value of the truck – a 2013 Ford 150 SuperCrew – at $32,560. The dealership had planned on paying the sales tax, vehicle registration and title on the truck, according to a dealership spokesperson.

"It's really sad for us because we want to help these women move on with their lives, and help them move forward with that, we just can't get past the 1099 issue," LAPD Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. "The government has to take their bite out of it, I guess."

The women's Toyota Tacoma was pierced with 102 bullet holes from the Feb. 7 shooting, according to Jonas. Emma Hernandez is still recovering from two bullet wounds to her neck, which are giving her life-threatening complications, according to Jonas, who described what his clients went through that morning.

But then the dealership and LAPD officials said the truck would be considered a prize for tax purposes, Jonas said. "Essentially, they'd have to pay taxes like they won it on a game show."
Great, make them pay taxes on the reimbursement for possessions the LAPD destroyed. /sarc

Game show taxes are high enough. Then when they use the money and actually buy a new truck, they have to pay KA sales tax on it as well.
Kalifornia is a screwed up as it gets.
And the lawyer representing the women isn't much better.

I hope that earthquake gets here soon.

The 40k is only for the truck and does not include any other liability lawsuits that will be filed. I heard on the radio the cash is tax free so there won't be any taxes due on it.

i read the article i have an opinion that when a civilian is shot buy cops and they are not screaming for justice and attention wich is the norm these days something isnt right, they deserve alot more than a truck in my opinion:) My wife had a spanish last name before i married her and forced her to take mine with mean white man strength :s0155:
Right, because everyone with a spanish last name is an illegal.

Folks like to speak with authority about things they know nothing about. Stop bad mouthing the president and vice president, they are just acting like lots of folks on this board.

Even after the errors are pointed out to them

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top