JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The term "in anger" as used here is a colloquialism not to be taken literally. It means in this context something more like "of necessity". In other words, he hopes he's never in a situation where he is required to use it to protect himself. I hope all of us who carry have the same hope.

Re-reading what he said over the course of several paragraphs, such as this being an 'emotional' choice, and the fact that he has never fired a gun before, does concern me. While I can see what you're saying, as I read the whole article, I hear a guy who is actually unsure about getting a gun in the first place, but rather is almost 'forced' into the decision by his perceptions of inaction by politicians. I'm always good with adding new shooters, but I'd prefer to see someone that is a bit more sure of themselves and their decision. To me, his language makes it sound like he almost regrets buying the gun, and that he is somewhat afraid of it.

Re-reading what he said over the course of several paragraphs, such as this being an 'emotional' choice, and the fact that he has never fired a gun before, does concern me. While I can see what you're saying, as I read the whole article, I hear a guy who is actually unsure about getting a gun in the first place, but rather is almost 'forced' into the decision by his perceptions of inaction by politicians. I'm always good with adding new shooters, but I'd prefer to see someone that is a bit more sure of themselves and their decision. To me, his language makes it sound like he almost regrets buying the gun, and that he is somewhat afraid of it.
Which I hope he gets over. A lot of gun people were where he is once upon a time. I hope he finds some friends who can help him get accustomed and proficient.

Which I hope he gets over. A lot of gun people were where he is once upon a time. I hope he finds some friends who can help him get accustomed and proficient.

It would be great for him to spend some time with some real gun folks, some experienced gun folks, so he can not only learn the basics, but also get to know the gun community better, maybe even report on the help they have been to him.

I just hope these educated idiots (reporters) who decide to arm themselves get professional training and take CC very seriously.
Seriously! A growing fear I have is someone buying and carrying a gun (which typically I'm all for) and then doing something stupid (shooting a bystander, themselves, failing to get a permit if necessary, etc) and make us all look bad. Worse than making us all look bad is killing or injuring an innocent, failing to stop the bad guy, and maybe most annoying of all, giving the antis more ammo and "reason" for more restrictive laws... :(

Thanks, I was looking for that. Luckily people like her who are not mentally equipped for firearms tend to naturally avoid them. If you believe her she was really traumatized by her experience.

I wonder what kind of meds she is on to handle the fear she must have of driving a car out of control into a crowd?

I tend to agree with her, she shouldn't be trusted with a gun, or a kitchen knife, or matches or a car or a...........
Those things are just too dangerous for her. Perhaps she should be put in a padded cell for her own good and the safety of others.

As a slight aside, as I'm sure you know, here on mainland UK most handguns are prohibited, although we can have any kind of muzzleloader or long-barrelled pistol or revolver - even a semi-auto like the GSG M1911 [but only in .22LR].

In any case, those of us who DO have handguns like mine are not permitted to use them for self-defence - that is to say, no carry of any kind, since possession is based on 'good reason' and here in yUK that 'good reason' is for target shooting only.

With that in mind, picture me getting on the last train from London Kings Cross up to our location, some sixty-five miles north of the capital. It's almost midnight, I've had a really wearing day in court in London, giving evidence in a double fatal shooting by somebody who does NOT obey the law, and uses a handgun to kill another gang-boy, and 'accidentally' shoot a nurse in the head as she tries to get out of the way.

I'm NOT in a good mood, no, make that REALLY not in a good mood.

The only good thing is that I'm alone in a first-class section of the car, and I have a good strong double-large coffee and stale chocolate muffin for company.

At the first stop, three young black men get on the train, look around, ignore the coach section, and sit themselves down in the first-class section - in different seats. I am in a corner seat where I can see everything going on.

Five minutes later, one of them moves closer, followed a couple of minutes later by another one. The third looks around in the otherwise empty car, and also makes his move in my direction.

The first mover then gets up, and sits opposite me, looking me up and down, with his hands in his pockets. He then looks around at his 'bro's' and starts to stand up over me.

At that point I reach out and grab him by the face and sit him back down again. I am an old soldier, I am a handgun shooter, I have VERY strong hands. And softly I say to all three - This has not been a good day for me, and you are not going to make it worse than it has been already by doing what you may or may not have in mind. So here's the deal. I hold on to this guy's face until the next stop, at which point you all get off. If anyone makes a move that I don't like, I'm going to rip this guy's face right off his head, and then, trust me, it will get much worse. I'm one of those people who really likes to dish out pain in large amounts, and already my evening is looking way better.

So?

Three minutes later they all got off the train unharmed, and I noticed that the one whose face I had been holding had cr*pped himself.

How much easier it would have been if I had had a CCW.

Northern Ireland, also part of the UK, DOES have CCW, around three thousand of them, issued for self-protection of current and former members of the judiciary, politicians, prison officers and so on, who have had their lives threatened by the sundry terrorist organisation that still inflict their misery there. As a result, what happened to me would NEVER have happened over there, since there is no way of knowing who is armed and who is not.

Just like the USA.

tac

This is a good article I think.
What gets me is the friend being brought to tears? Huh
Just because you own a firearm does not mean it will ever be used for evil.
I think first time gun owners should be encouraged to take self defense courses like Jacobe offers down here near Salem.
I have shot many guns and carried off and on since the 90's. I am thinking of this myself. Confidence is what makes a safer society.

My first thought was the same as above. "He "hopes" he doesn't fire his gun in anger?"
You gotta be kidding me. He should not own a gun because of his admitted potential to be dangerous to others. He said in effect that even though you think it's possible you could shoot someone in anger it is still better to have a gun. What? I'm stunned.
I wouldn't want to make that guy angry.
However I think the article will do us more good than harm. And thanks to the OP.

My first thought was the same as above. "He "hopes" he doesn't fire his gun in anger?"
You gotta be kidding me. He should not own a gun because of his admitted potential to be dangerous to others. He said in effect that even though you think it's possible you could shoot someone in anger it is still better to have a gun. What? I'm stunned.
I wouldn't want to make that guy angry.
However I think the article will do us more good than harm. And thanks to the OP.
Oh, for crying out loud. It's an expression. It doesn't mean what you think it does. Read here: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/30939/is-used-in-anger-a-britishism-for-something
The guy is not concerned that he can keep his temper.

I haven't read the article yet, but the discussion about it's being an emotional decision is probably not too far from the truth.

From what I've been able to figure, most of the anti-gunners' attitudes are shaped by emotional reactions and not from factual analysis and critical thinking.

So, to part from an emotionally-founded viewpoint may require the motive of an opposite emotional impulse.

Most ideologues are immune to facts, and tend to stick to their (emotionally created) positions, regardless of a pile of evidence to the contrary. This is true of a wide range of decisions, from political views to the reasoning used to purchase cars.

After an emotional conclusion is reached, the mind comes along and backfills with a mosaic of 'logical' reasons to shore up the position.

(Anyone interested in an in-depth examination of this mechanism would find it with Dan Ariely's book, "Predictably Irrational, The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions".)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top