JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hope we get more info, but the fact that the homeowner dialed 911 and left the line open during the altercation makes me sympathetic toward him. Odd that the article refers to the deceased as an intruder, but never explains how they know this. Or if they do, for that matter.

Posted: May 14, 2012 8:39 AM PDT Updated: May 14, 2012 2:43 PM PDT

by Katie Steiner, KHQ Reporter - bio | email

Bullet holes from the intruder

NEWMAN LAKE, Wash. - The intruder was the homeowner's girlfriend's ex-boyfriend. The girlfriend did have a restraining order against the intruder. KHQ talked to the homeowner, Doug Snarski, who said that the man came into his house around 12:30 Sunday morning. Snarski said, "I woke up and heard his voice, it is an eye opening experience when you wake up and someone is in your house when they are not supposed to be there."

Snarski said the intruder was inside his house with a shotgun in one hand and a pistol in another. The intruder started yelling at Snarski, trying to figure out what room he was in. "I opened my bedroom door, turned on the light, took one look at him, showed him I had a hand gun, but that did not even slow him down. He started shooting off rounds and I just waited for the opportunity to shoot my best shot," Snarski said.

Snarski turned on the stair light and watched the shooter's shadow. As soon as he saw that the man was on the top stair, he made his move. He was low to the ground because he figured the man would have his guns at chest level. He fired off about three shots and the intruder fell. He said that he was not the one dead. "He came in to do some damage, he wasn't planning on leaving till everyone was dead," Snarski said. Snarski then went on to say, "It was either him or me."

PREVIOUS STORY:

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE FROM THE SPOKANE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE: Sunday morning, May 13, at about 1:00 a.m., deputies responded to a shooting call in the Newman Lake area. The homeowner called 911 and left the line open.

911 operators were able to hear two male subjects conversing, then heard multiple gun shots. The homeowners girlfriend told 911 shortly thereafter that her boyfriend was ok and that the intruder had been shot.

When deputies arrived on scene a deceased adult male was located at the top of a set of stairs inside the residence. Both the homeowner and his girlfriend were uninjured.

Spokane County Major Crimes Detectives and Sheriff's Office Forensics personnel responded to the scene. The homeowner and his girlfriend were interviewed by detectives as the scene was processed.

This investigation is ongoing. The Spokane County Medical Examiner's Office will release the identity of the deceased male after an autopsy is completed. The autopsy is scheduled for today,May 14th.

Newman Lake intruder was armed with handgun, high powered shot gun.

by KREM.com and Spokane County Sheriff's Office

KREM.com

Posted on May 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Updated today at 4:33 PM
NEWMAN LAKE— An autopsy is scheduled Monday for a man found shot and killed inside a home in Newman Lake. A spokesman for the Spokane County Sheriff's office says the man was an intruder, found shot to death at the top of the stairs inside the home. The spokesman says the couple involved had recently taken out a protection order against the man.

KREM 2 News spoke with the homeowner, Doug Snarski, who said around 12:30 a.m. Sunday; the suspect entered his home through the front door.

The suspect had a hand gun in one hand and a high powered shot gun in the other. The home owner said he was upstairs in his bedroom with his girlfriend when the suspect started yelling at him from the bottom of the stairs. The suspect then shot 3 times; twice from hit shotgun and once from his pistol. Pellets went through several walls and outside, hitting the neighbor's house.

The Spokane County Sheriff's Ofc. reports the homeowner called 9-1-1 Sunday around 1 a.m. and "left the line open". Operators heard two men "conversing" and then heard multiple gun shots. The homeowner's girlfriend told 9-1-1 operators a short time later the intruder had been shot and that she and her boyfriend were okay.

The homeowner said he got down on the floor of his bedroom while the suspect made his way upstairs. The homeowner then leaned out the door and shot the suspect.

When deputies arrived, they found the man dead at the top of a set of stairs. Authorities said the investigation is ongoing and the deceased male's identity would be released after an autopsy. The intruder is said to be the ex-boyfriend of the homeowner's girlfriend.

The suspect had been served the restraining order a little more than two hours before he showed up at the house.

Homeowner shoots intruder: "It came down to either me or him"

Author: Jeff Humphrey, KXLY4 Reporter , [email protected]

Published On: May 14 2012 04:04:00 PM PDT Updated On: May 14 2012 04:49:57 PM PDT

NEWMAN LAKE, Wash. -
A jealous ex-boyfriend broke into the Newman Lake home of his ex-girlfriend's boyfriend early Sunday morning and was shot and killed by the homeowner.

Spokane County Sheriff deputies say a Honeymoon Bay homeowner was acting in self defense when he shot the armed intruder, identified late Monday afternoon by the Spokane County Medical Examiner as 43-year-old Sean M. Parsons.

Parsons had been served a no-contact several hours prior to the shooting, but that didn't stop him from taking a shotgun and a pistol to Doug Snarski's Honeymoon Bay home to confront his ex-girlfriend and Snarski.

Early Sunday morning around 1 a.m. Parsons slipped into the couple's home, when he started calling out to the couple.

"All of a sudden we heard his voice down here saying 'Where are you? Come out' and that's when she said that's him. She recognized his voice," Snarski said.

So he grabbed his revolved and stood at the top of the stairs while Parsons detailed his intentions to kill him and his girlfriend.

"He goes 'Nobody's getting out of here alive. I got 24 rounds for my shotgun, I plan using them all,'" he said.

At that point 911 dispatchers were on the phone - Snarski had already dialed them - and listening as he tried to defuse the situation.

"I'm trying to talk him down, just leave, don't worry about it, it'll be OK but he was on a mission to kill," he said.

At that point Parsons fired a pair of shotgun blasts at Snarski, peppering the top of the stairwell with buckshot. Snarski decided he'd hold his fire unless the gunman tried to reach the second floor.

"I just laid on the ground around the corner and watched his shadow come up with the lights and as soon as I knew he had hit that last step I just pointed up and let him have it," he said.

It was the first time Snarski ever fired his revolver.

Parsons was shot and killed; the spot where he fell now marked by black plastic which covers the spot where the man bled to death.

Snarski took no pleasure in the shooting, but the damage to rounds of buckshot fired at his bathroom door is a grim reminder of what could have happened if he hadn't defended him and his girlfriend.

"Like I said I played it right to the end. I tried to talk him down. I mean nobody wants to kill anybody but it came down to either me or him," he said.

© 2012 KXLY.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without prior permission.

I just watched this story on the news..

<broken link removed>

The guy put some big holes in the wall (buckshot). Kudos to the homeowner on outsmarting the intruder and staying calm. Hopefully we all can do the same if we ever (god forbid) have to protect our families in a similar manner.

I was thinking the same thing!! Love the media, anything they can do to spin something anti gun..

Well, to be fair, they make equally stupid errors on other subjects just as often. When they continue to misuse the term "Assault Rifle" after they have been told several times, that seems deliberate. This one could be simple ignorance. Or they may be quoting LE. Apparently the position "Sheriff's Spokesman" does not require any firearms knowledge whatsoever. Remember Ed Troyer's famous quote about "armor-piercing bullets" that "can pierce body armor", which later turned out to be common hollow-point pistol ammo?

Well, to be fair, they make equally stupid errors on other subjects just as often. When they continue to misuse the term "Assault Rifle" after they have been told several times, that seems deliberate. This one could be simple ignorance. Or they may be quoting LE. Apparently the position "Sheriff's Spokesman" does not require any firearms knowledge whatsoever. Remember Ed Troyer's famous quote about "armor-piercing bullets" that "can pierce body armor", which later turned out to be common hollow-point pistol ammo?

Another term the media use's to death that drives me bat guano is "point blank range" with no idea what so ever what it really means. It sounds good, like someone got real close before doing the dirty,, and it sells.:angry:

"What's a high-powered shotgun?"

Just like a high-caliber assault weapon, only different.

The boundless stupidity, ignorance, and agenda-driven bias by the media weasels on guns
convinces me that they aren't any more believeable on anything else.

Thank you for the wishes.

I don't find the media credible, but not because of bias. The media is ruled strictly by profit, which is an altogether different animal. Comparing profit to bias is like comparing a streetwalker to a nymphomaniac. Same activity, same result, different motives, prices and types of prices.

Those who operate strictly for profit can be manipulated and are not, therefore, to be feared.

The media is ruled strictly by profit, which is an altogether different animal. Comparing profit to bias is like comparing a streetwalker to a nymphomaniac. Same activity, same result, different motives, prices and types of prices.

Those who operate strictly for profit can be manipulated and are not, therefore, to be feared.

^This.

Kudo's to the homeowner for having the presence of mind to lay on the ground. I was just thinking about this two nights ago as I lay in bed. Scary situation but I am glad the good guy and gal are ok.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top