JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm new to this forum. I am a disabled Vietnam veteran. After I left Vietnam, I swore that I would not own a firearm.
But the times have changed. I am thinking of buying a firearm, but not sure which one. Probably only be used for self defense when the SHTF.
Any suggestions for a hesitant veteran, but knows he needs to get one?

I'm new to this forum. I am a disabled Vietnam veteran. After I left Vietnam, I swore that I would not own a firearm.
But the times have changed. I am thinking of buying a firearm, but not sure which one. Probably only be used for self defense when the SHTF.
Any suggestions for a hesitant veteran, but knows he needs to get one?

First welcome, you found a great place to meet and get info. No doubt some here would be GLAD to meet up with you there and help. Second thank you for your service. I know you did not hear that when you came home. You no doubt heard a lot of asshats talking crap.
So other than getting together with another member here my best choice would be a range with rentals. FAR FAR cheaper to try a gun and find out you don't like it rather than buy one and find that out. What I love will not always be what works for you. Keep poking around on this site and there is a HUGE wealth of info.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.

I also suggest renting a gun to see if you like it before buying.
As stated in the above post , what I like , use or suggest may not work for you.

That said , for personal protection I lean towards a double action revolver in .38 Special or .357 Magnum.
Smith and Wesson make / made many various models that would fit this bill.
The models 10 , 15 , 19 , 28 , 65 and 66 are my favorites.
Ruger and their excellent but discontinued Security Six and Speed Six are great choices as well as the GP100 and SP101 revolvers.
Double action revolvers are usually simple for most people to operate and learn to shoot well with.
They are generally easy to maintain and with one in .357 Magnum you have the option to shoot .38 Specials as well.

Again all that said my favorite choice of all is a Colt Government Model in .45acp or almost any of its clones.
( Maybe a case of: Do as I suggest , not as I do , going on here :D )
Andy

Last Edited:
Welcome, Gstocky. You asked that magical can-o-worms (or opinions and A-holes) question that really can't be answered simply. I agree with the other guys about renting a few just to see what fits you. If I were to give the most generic answer, Mygrainman beat me to it. AR, 9mm semiauto, and 12ga are about as basic as it gets. It's like a '69 Camaro, VW bug, and F150. They're everywhere, parts are cheap and plentiful, and if you decide you want something else you'll have no trouble selling them.
...and don't forget the ammo. It's more affordable and available right now than it has been in quite some time.

Last Edited:
Welcome here from the great State of Jefferson.

It sounds like we served around the same time. If I can help with something, let me know.

An Ar15, a 9mm semi auto pistol, and a 12g pump action shotgun. You can get all three for less than $1000 and have all your bases covered.
I feel I should elaborate, as I posted hastily being it was 2am, and just finished 12 straight hours of brass prepo_O.

If/When SHTF you will definitely want cheap/common calibers, and calibers used by the military. Not only are they cheaper to buy now... they will be easier to scavenge, and valuable as barter to more people. .223/5.56, 9 mm, and 12guage are it. A squad will have soldiers carry different guns for different applications, your gun cabinet should do the same. There has never been a better time to buy firearams. AR15s can be had for less than $500, A decent Shotgun under $200, and dozens of semi auto 9mm in the $3-500 range.
As Andy stated a .357 revolver is another great option. Simple, reliable, and powerful. If I could only keep one of mine it would be my .357 because it can fill the most rolls. I even have shot shells for it if needed.
Shotguns, and Rifles are easy, but shopping for a pistol can be overwhelming. You can ask 50 people and get 26 different answers(at least half will say glock). I'd go to a big box like Sportsmans Warehouse, they have a great selection, and hourly employees so you won't hurt any feelings by looking at 20 guns and not buying anything. That way you get a good idea what's out there, and what they feel like in your hand... from there you can narrow it down to what you like and what features are importaint to you. Then if possible go to a range that has them available to shoot. and of course don't be shy asking here. There is a wealth of information here, some of it even useful, and the members are more than happy to share.
Thanks for your service BTW!

Welcome @Gstocky ! I'd lean towards an AR since you were trained on the M-16 and also because there is a market glut right now and prices are very very good. You can get Colt 6920's in the $750 range if you snoop a bit, and other very good rifles around $500. Ammo is also currently selling at the lowest levels in years.

I'd suggest coupling with a side arm also using a military round since you are thinking SHTF. The 1911 is always good, but there are some very good striker fired pistols as well. If on a budget the S&W M&P pistols are currently very inexpensive as they phase out the gen 1 pistols for the new and only subtly different gen 2 pistols. The M&P frame (both gens) was designed to accommodate the 40 S&W, so you don't have to worry if you get one of them in any cartridge.

I'd throw a second rifle into the mix - a Ruger 10/22. It's a good food getter if you don't want to attract attention, ammo is once again inexpensive and plentiful and doesn't take up much room.

Welcome, and a sincere thank you for your service.

Like AndyinEverson stated, a .38/.357 revolver is always a good choice. If you want to round things out a bit more, maybe a decent pump shotgun. Those two alone would be a very good start IMHO.

And yes, absolutely get to a range and handle and shoot anything you are interested first but don't buy anything. Go home, research (come back and ask people here their opinions) and mull over what you are interested in prior to making the actual purchase. That will give you the best chance to get what you want/need.

Also, there are some very generous, knowledgeable and kind people here who will help you. Do not hesitate to ask questions.

Best of luck in your search.

Thank you all for your comments . I treasure the wisdom of my copatriots. Now I have to do my homework and do it. Talking won't get any results. Thank you for welcoming me home.
I will look around and see if I can find someone to be a mentor for me. Owning a weapon will probably bring back memories.

Owning a weapon will probably bring back memories.
It may indeed do so.
I did not serve in Viet Nam ... But I did serve and endure four combat tours.
If I can serve or help you in any way... Please do not hesitate to ask.
Many here on our forum are also Vets and can relate and understand to what may be unimaginable to others.
Andy

Welcome!

I concur with a 9mm pistol, a 12-gauge shotgun, and an AR-15 rifle (chambered for 5.56 and 2.23). You might start with a 9mm pistol to at least have something.

I do recommend getting your WA State concealed-pistol license (CPL). You can carry concealed if needed, and it will reduce the time it takes to get through any background checks.
WA State Licensing (DOL) Official Site: How to get your license Concealed Pistol license in Washington state

Ammo. You can buy online, have it shipped to you, and have an Amazon.com-like experience. Yes, it's legal. AmmoSeek is a great site to do price comparisons.
In stock ammo, guns, magazines, and reloading supplies

Guns. Assuming you are deemed OK/legal to purchase, Buds Gun Shop offers very competitive prices. Buy online, ship to your selected FFL, do the background check at the FFL, and once cleared take the gun home.
Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads