JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Think grey mush after that little pill goes thru the yotell's brain.There are you tube vids on that too.
Now distance has to be close I would believe for enough energy to penetrate a coyote skull?

I probably wouldn't try a head shot with a .17 HMR at over 200 yards. The ballistic tips fragment easily so it might not penetrate the skull. I haven't seen the youtube vids, but they might be using hollow points or fmj. OTOH, they fragment well enough that a body shot at 200 might be good enough.

Either way, I'd go with a center fire for a 'yote. But that's just me.

elsie

Yeah as far as terminal ballistics? or danger to humans,the 17 could be as bad with a miss.And the noise factor isn't much different so your not really gaining anything by going rimfire

Yeah as far as terminal ballistics? or danger to humans,the 17 could be as bad with a miss.And the noise factor isn't much different so your not really gaining anything by going rimfire

No noise difference between a 17 and a 223? Really? Mine are waaay different!

17's don't ricochet as much. I shoot the 20 gr hornady's instead of the 17gr bt's, exc coyote medicine out to 150.

If you handload you can also download a 223 to 22 hornet levels or even less with the right powders. But a couple hundred dollar Marlin or Savage 17 with the 20 gr hp's is gonna be hard to beat for an orchard gun. Want to have more fun with it, look at the Henry 17 lever gun!

Cheers!

Yes there is a noise difference between the 2,but there is enough of a crack to the 17 that it will be heard just fine by the neighbors.

If noise is the issue, how about std vel or subsonic 22's, plenty for the rodents out to 100. I'm with the others who say that 22 is not hard to find today, even std's and subsonics. It might be your best choice. Or you might have to buy two rifles, always a good option!

How far out for the coyotes?

Cheers.

I wouldn't bother shooting coyotes with subsonics past 20yds
I may have said this already in this thread but I saw coyote take a 20ga load of bird shot any run away at less than 20yds.
No sense in just wounding the thing

I wouldn't bother shooting coyotes with subsonics past 20yds
I may have said this already in this thread but I saw coyote take a 20ga load of bird shot any run away at less than 20yds.
No sense in just wounding the thing

No comparison in the penetration with shot. So how far?

I'm beginning to think there may not be a solution.

Cheers!

No comparison in the penetration with shot. So how far?

I'm beginning to think there may not be a solution.

Cheers!
And that's the rub right there.
That's why the coyotes come into urban areas,nobody can shoot them!
With a sub sonic 22 round,there will be a comparison in penetration cause you just don't have much energy.And on a thick skinned animal,I don't think you will get much penetration.At least not enough to hit vitals every time

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top