JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went deer hunting last year for the first time, got nothing, maybe a good thing as I still dont know the answer to this question. When you hike in 3-4 maybe more miles if you actually get a deer, how do you get it out?

I looked online, and seen deer cart, drag it, throw it over your shoulders, use a quad and so on. But I want to know what works best for the PNW..

depends the size of the deer and what you are capable of carrying. and if you have access to a ATV or UTV. Usually if you can't carry it out in one haul you will quarter the animal and share the load with friends or make a couple trips yourself. If you bleed out/gut (field dress) the deer while out in the woods as you should you will find the rest of the animal is manageable. Leave what you don't plan to eat...carry the meat..in porous cloth bags of course. It really depends on the situation at hand, you can do it a few different ways. Just keep in mind you don't want the deer to spoil; get it dressed as soon as you can, thats the goal

Quick General Field Dressing guide: http://learn-taxidermy.com/field_dressing_deer.htm

Check your local laws on how much you have to keep of it. Usually you have to have evidence of sex.

I've seen a game cart modified to a bicycle cart, 300 lb capacity or so. With so many closed gates in the area I hunt, the best way to go after elk is on a bike.

Temperature makes a big difference. Get it cut up and cooled as soon as possible. If its hot and its a long way out, like one of the high buck wilderness hunts here in Wa (in August and 5 to 10 miles in), you still may only end up with the antlers.

I just pulled mine down hill 20 yards to the truck,then field dressed it on the side of the (logging) road.
Last year was my first ever deer.Just never really pursued deer hunting that much before.
Then I went on line and found out how to butcher a deer.Heard too many bad stories about maybe getting YOUR meat back.
Anyway.If you learn some of this,then you can quarter the deer up and/or strip the meat off.
You do need to keep the genitalia connected to one hind quarter.
Some guys have the bags with them and basically butcher the deer instead off just field dressing it,getting rid of the bones,guts and hide. A lot less to carry out.

The last 2 I shot were actually in my yard. Fetched them with my lawnmower and a little trailer.

I do cheat though. I feed them a little bit all summer long, they think I'm a nice guy and let me walk up to them (and stab them with an arrow).

The last 2 I shot were actually in my yard. Fetched them with my lawnmower and a little trailer.

I do cheat though. I feed them a little bit all summer long, they think I'm a nice guy and let me walk up to them (and stab them with an arrow).

That's not cheating in Wa.
The week after I arrowed my deer,I had 1 doe,2 bambis,1 spike,and 2 3 points walk through my yard one morning.
Next year I will have bait and will keep the dogs inside.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top