Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Competitive Shooting' started by IrishFitz, Jun 10, 2009.

1. IrishFitz

IrishFitz Happy Valley, OR Member

I want to get into competitive pistol shooting. Any suggestions on how to get started around the Portland area? I know I may have to travel to some competitions, but how does one go about getting started in the sport.

The equipment I plan to use is my Ruger P95DC 9mm and an Uncle Mikes Kydex holster. I don't hand load, so I will be using factory ammo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

I would suggest a club such as (mine) Tri County in Sherwood. You would be closer to Douglas Ridge but not sure how they operate. Tri County has several orientation classes before you compete that give you all the info you need not to mention contact with many shooters for endless information on each type of competition(and there are many). Check their website and you can contact any one of several listed "trainers/leaders"........

3. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

Johnson Creek is another good one to check. This will save you a lot of time and get you going as soon as you like. Also, being a member of one of these shows support and strength of law biding pro gun citizens..................

4. oldkim

oldkim Kent, WA New Member

What type of competition are you thinking about in handguns?

There are basically a few around.

1) IDPA - www.idpa.com
    International Defensive Pistol Association

2) USPSA (aka IPSC) www.uspsa.com
    United States Practical Shooting Assocation or International Practical Shooting Confederation

3) Bullseye - www.NRA.org is a good one.

4) PPC - general category not so formal
    Practical Pistol Competition. More local and depends on area or range specific

Also yes you do have to look around and see where you can do these matches in your area. Check with each to see a listing for a local club in your area. The top 3 has search features.

Each discipline will really dictate what equipment and firearm you really need to get. Regardless of which one - have fun and enjoy!

5. IrishFitz

IrishFitz Happy Valley, OR Member

Cool... thanks for the tips.

6. pdxjohann

pdxjohann Portland near Tigard Member

ch139 posted regarding "speed steel" competitions earlier. Seems like he enjoys the competitions and promoting the matches. Maybe he's around.

7. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

As a more "entry level" thing you might look into Speed Steel at Tri-County in Sherwood. Speed Steel is very simple and straight forward, not gear intensive and can give you a good start into "action" pistol shooting. It's also a lot of fun.

8. durango#95

durango#95 Medford New Member

I wanted to jump in here as well.
    I am interested in some form of action pistol shooting as well.
    Is there anything like this in So. Oregon? Looks like a kick in the pants to do, and gaining skill at the same time.