JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want to get into competitive pistol shooting. Any suggestions on how to get started around the Portland area? I know I may have to travel to some competitions, but how does one go about getting started in the sport.

The equipment I plan to use is my Ruger P95DC 9mm and an Uncle Mikes Kydex holster. I don't hand load, so I will be using factory ammo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest a club such as (mine) Tri County in Sherwood. You would be closer to Douglas Ridge but not sure how they operate. Tri County has several orientation classes before you compete that give you all the info you need not to mention contact with many shooters for endless information on each type of competition(and there are many). Check their website and you can contact any one of several listed "trainers/leaders"........

Johnson Creek is another good one to check. This will save you a lot of time and get you going as soon as you like. Also, being a member of one of these shows support and strength of law biding pro gun citizens..................

What type of competition are you thinking about in handguns?

There are basically a few around.

1) IDPA - www.idpa.com
International Defensive Pistol Association

2) USPSA (aka IPSC) www.uspsa.com
United States Practical Shooting Assocation or International Practical Shooting Confederation

3) Bullseye - www.NRA.org is a good one.

4) PPC - general category not so formal
Practical Pistol Competition. More local and depends on area or range specific

Also yes you do have to look around and see where you can do these matches in your area. Check with each to see a listing for a local club in your area. The top 3 has search features.

Each discipline will really dictate what equipment and firearm you really need to get. Regardless of which one - have fun and enjoy!

As a more "entry level" thing you might look into Speed Steel at Tri-County in Sherwood. Speed Steel is very simple and straight forward, not gear intensive and can give you a good start into "action" pistol shooting. It's also a lot of fun.

I wanted to jump in here as well.
I am interested in some form of action pistol shooting as well.
Is there anything like this in So. Oregon? Looks like a kick in the pants to do, and gaining skill at the same time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top