JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, in today's edition of Will's Dumbass Newbie Questions, I'm gonna cover purchasing handguns.

I live in Oregon, but the pistol I'm looking for is awful scarce locally, so purchasing online is going to be my best bet.

How does that process work itself out? I know finding an FFL dealer (wasn't some pawn shop locally supposed to be reputable and cheap) and doing the OR $10 background check is part of the process, but how does this all fit together?

Check local FFL here first, then call in my order? What?

I’ve done it both ways, and both ways works fine.

1. Go to your LGS, and have them order what you want. Discuss price if you can. When it comes in, go in, fill out the paperwork to go thru the $10 background check, hand them the money, and walk out the door.

2. Order online, and have them ship the gun to your LGS (FFL). Ask the LGS if they are ok with this before you do this. Most are, but I’ve heard some are not. My LGS welcomes this kind of business. When the gun comes in, go in, pay the $10 background check, plus the $30 (or what ever your LGS charges) transfer fee, hand them the money, and walk out the door.

What is it you are looking for? A newly released gun that really hasn’t become available everywhere yet, or something rare and antique?

I'm sorting out my options between a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical and a <broken link removed> .I posted about how I'm really perplexed on what to go with regarding concealed carry and my really long-*** torso over on The High Road, if you'd care to chime in.

Long story short, I'd settled on the full-size SP-01, but surprised myself when I found the slightly smaller CZ P-01 fit me okay with the magazine grip extensions.

Around NW Oregon, CZs are a rare beast from what I've found. I'd rather build a relationship with my LGS, but I found the SP-01 Tactical online for a full hundred bucks cheaper than any local shop would be able to get through their distro channels.

i buy local any time i can- except when it comes to guns (unless it's FTF, which is actually my favorite method). local shops are exorbitantly expensive, and that's all there is to it. i understand all the excuses and reasons.... but $100 difference is more than enough to make the $20 transfer fee (if you're paying more than that you're getting ripped off) well worth it. and shops, contrary to popular opinion, LIKE DOING TRANSFERS. how often do YOU make $20 for 5 minutes of your time? heck, if i was an FFL, i'd have no problem doing nothing BUT transfers all day.

You're in luck, a friend of mine in Washington has been going through the same thing with the CZs, except he bought the P01 first and is now contemplating the SP01, and so I can share some info on the whole thing. Here's a couple of pictures of us shooting it at our last range trip, I'm the pair of hands in the first picture, and my buddy, the owner, is in the second one.

http://i.imgur.com/bbS87.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UtAPe.jpg

He originally compromised on the P01 because it would be potentially easier to carry if he got his CCW. When we got out to shooting though he found he couldn't shoot it as well as we all could shoot our own full size guns, and I couldn't personally couldn't shoot it that well either. It has a bit more recoil than your average full size handgun because it's lighter weight too, and I believe based on my experience that it will be harder to get used to with regard to shooting.

So, if you're getting a gun for purely, or even mostly recreation, I'd recommend the SP01. My buddy is moving back to Texas soon and so he's going to get the SP01 since carrying anything larger than a snub nosed revolver in a climate like Texas with his body type is about impossible. If you think you'll carry it though, get the P01 and practice with it until you are comfortable with your shooting capability.

Can you guys make any recommendations on which shops to go through for the FFL transfers here in Portland?

EDIT: In making some phone calls, the guy who answered the phone at A Cut Above pawn was pretty friendly, and even nicer, cheap. $10 fee + $10 background. Anybody had experience with these guys?

Can you guys make any recommendations on which shops to go through for the FFL transfers here in Portland?

EDIT: In making some phone calls, the guy who answered the phone at A Cut Above pawn was pretty friendly, and even nicer, cheap. $10 fee + $10 background. Anybody had experience with these guys?

there's not really anything that can go wrong... go forth and buy, young man.

"bkboooo" -- has it right "will power" !! the ffl will only hand you the gun, and three sheets of paper to fill out -- a phone call , and out the door !! + thank him for keepng his transfer fees at a reasonable price !

my thoughts only.....steven

Hey Will Power...come on in and we'll show you why over 150 customers a month do transfers with us. We are fast, efficient and we do not open the package, you do. Since you were the one who ordered the weapon, you know exactly what to expect, and that way the seller can't accuse us of tampering! Contrary to one of the other members posts, the transfers do not just take 5 minutes, because we have to deal with sending copies of our FFL and in many cases make phone calls. Since December, wait times on hold have taken as long as 45 minutes during gun shows, so sometimes this process can tie up an employee for an hour or more. We also do outbound transfers as well which can take a half hour or more with all of the boxing and labeling. And then there's that darned A&D book that takes time... Just want fair representation here.

What stores are you shopping at? :/

im NOT, for guns.. remember?

but the shops i've been to are all the usual suspects- gunbroker isn't necessarily "exorbitant," but they're still generally 10-20% more than online shops.. keiths is about the same.. NW armory is laughable.. the gunroom shouldnt even be thought about, as we all know....

but actually, there is one shop i've made recent local purchases for about the same, maybe a tad higher, than online shops- GunZone down on 82nd drive- not a huge inventory, very few accessories (better than most other shops- magpul, LMT, etc) but GOOD deals on glocks. got my last glock 26 there for less than $450- the next best deal, locally, was like $510. for standard sights.

Here's my very, very limited experience in buying firearms around Portland, for what it's worth as a guy new to guns and hunting.

Fisherman's: With the exception of the new store by the mall, the gun counter service at the other two has been consistently rude. Young know-it-all bucks at the one by Janzen Beach, and old SOBs at the Oregon City location. Generally a good selection of gear, though.

Discount Guns (the new store in Raleigh Hills): Very friendly, not a huge selection, primarily scary black rifles of death, mayhem, & 2nd Amendment activism and handguns, willing to look up guns through his distributors, but is typically the most expensive by far. Which is too bad, like I said, Randy the operator of the place is really helpful.

Gun Broker Tigard: Customer service crap shoot.

Gun Broker Clackamas: Decent service, pretty impressive selection.

Gun Broker Woodburn: Never been there in person, but the guy on the phone is one of the most helpful, friendly people I've spoken with so far.

Keith's: Great prices, surprising selection. The middle-aged lady has been friendly and helpful, but haven't been impressed with anyone else (apart from the hot, younger girl, but that's for other reasons, hahah). There's one especially dour guy that I don't like having to deal with - it's like I'm inconveniencing him by asking questions.

For what it's worth, I ended up finding the handgun I was looking for on a fluke locally. It's used, and the thirty day used wait period will be up in a week. Got my down payment reserving it and now I'm just waiting like a kid for Christmas.

I was told that Oregon has a thirty day period between when a store can purchase a used handgun and then sell it again.

Did I get bamboozled here? If so, I'm gonna be pissed.

I was told that Oregon has a thirty day period between when a store can purchase a used handgun and then sell it again.

Did I get bamboozled here? If so, I'm gonna be pissed.

sounds funky to me... but it's possible. if they buy it, might have to hold onto it before they hang it up on the rack for sale. if it'd been a direct transfer, there definitely wouldnt have been any wait.

I highly recommend a Cut Above Pawn - a nice family operation. I have had 10+ transfers through them this year and they are great people to deal with (I work just around the corner from them - way too convenient). They will call you within minutes of the UPS truck arriving and the transaction is no muss - no fuss. I didn't expect pawn shop folk to be too friendly - but I had been wrong once before. Seriously, order away! I actually received my CZ-75B just a couple of weeks ago through them (bought from Jet Guns). Great gun and great transaction.

Will-Power

Must have bought it in Tigard. It's a city law and not a state law. The Gun Broker in Tigard has to deal w/ that but they don't at their Clackamas location. That month seems to take forever too.

Couldn't agree w/your summary of local stores more. One to try (and I like) is Northwest Armory. Good selection and prices. Have fun w/your CZ.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top