JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
FYI - A semi-wad cutter is not a round nose bullet design.

Keep the 686. It rocks. I bought mine used and the only issue I have is I love my 1911 a bit more.

Thanks. I like the 1911 a lot, but I'm not a fan of semi automatics because they seem like they would jam a lot. the revolver is so good. it's not loaded? it's safe! and it's simple physics that makes it generate the next round. my 686 is still in transit, so I can only assume that it will be good, but I am optimistic. from what some of the guys (girls?) were saying earlier, it was a simple fix.

Thanks. I like the 1911 a lot, but I'm not a fan of semi automatics because they seem like they would jam a lot. the revolver is so good. it's not loaded? it's safe! and it's simple physics that makes it generate the next round. my 686 is still in transit, so I can only assume that it will be good, but I am optimistic. from what some of the guys (girls?) were saying earlier, it was a simple fix.
A good 1911 will not jam a lot or even a little. The only jams I have had have been from human error. Except for when I intentionally put empty cases in the mags to create jams and practice clearing malfunctions.

Friend, a little dirt can tie up the best revolver, you can do almost anything to a 1911 and it will shrug it off.

My first gun was 686 6" barrel stainless steel revolver that I bought 25 years ago. I still have it an take to the gun range a few times a year. I tend to shoot 38 special +P rounds but once in a while I shoot 125gr JHP 357 magnum rounds.

A good 1911 will not jam a lot or even a little. The only jams I have had have been from human error. Except for when I intentionally put empty cases in the mags to create jams and practice clearing malfunctions.

No high quality properly operating modern semi auto will jam with good ammo. As a side note revolvers can and do suffer jams due to bad ammo, lead buildup, dust, grit and sand. Please be aware folks that no modern military uses a revolver. Also note a revolver can be taken out of action if an attacker strongly grasps the cylinder. Regardless both are fine choices for personal self defense

I recommend "The S&W Revolver, A Shop Manual" by Jerry Kuhnhausen. If you have some mechanical skills, this book will help demystify the revolver. Will help a noob learn a thing or two about basic maintenance and some easy repairs, or the experienced "weekend gunsmith" with the tougher tasks.

If you are still not satisfied with your 686plus after you get it back, PM me. I have a good working 686 (non-plus) and a bunch of HKS speedloaders to discuss a swap. ;)

I just got it back from Smith and Wesson. They replaced the firing pin, and replaced the strain screws. I haven't tried it yet on the range.

I finally had the chance to take this gun back to the range, and it worked so good. really good gun. 50 rounds was a breeze. I am curious what the .357 bullets feel like. So far I have only shot .38 ammunition. thanks, all, for your comments.

Have had nothing but migraines with magtech ammo. In my experience magtech is nothing but a bag o' bubblegume. Shell out the bucks for good stuff.
I reckon his experience must have something to do with the shooter more then Magtech ammo. Magtech 158 grain SJSP is a great 357 round. i have run about a dozen or more boxes of it in my 686 with no issues at all. It is a good easily managed recoil, not bad at all. Go for the 357 rounds to really understand how the gun feels.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top