JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
i've never used a head space gauge for pistol calibers. i do know that semi's head space on the neck of the cartridge of the case. adding different ogives from different bullets may affect the performances of being functional.
over or under seating bullets in handgun loads will cause pressure variables as well as feeding issues. therefore, col. from the mfg. and their manual to start, may adjust some for my particular handgun after starting there. just me.

I can see where a headspace gauge would be useless for OL because of bullet type/shape.

It is my understanding straight walled pistol COL rarely changes. When fired, internal pressure is used to push the bullet out into the barrel. If the cartridge is over crimped, you're likely to blow the primer instead of the case 'growing'.

With a shoulder like the 357 sig, internal pressure moves against the shoulder pushing if forward thus 'growing' the brass. For rifle bottleneck calibers, the most likely area for splitting the case is at the neck before the head where pressure is gaining the most. Thus, throat size or caliber diameter and shoulder angle is important for volume.

Atleast, that's my understanding. If there's something I'm missing I be interested in knowing.

I started with an RCBS Rockchucker in the early 80s. Then got a job where I didn't need to buy ammo. Eventually retired from said job and priced ammo. Bought a Dillon precision 650 set up for .45, and now looking to pick up an 1100 for small pistol reloading. It is a slippery slope!

What stuff didn't I really need? Enlighten me please! I can't really think of what I didn't use out of my Rockchucker kit?

U still using the cheap bar scale supplied with most kits or the plastic calipers? The rock chucker is a great press, and okay u can use all the stuff that comes with it, thing is why? Especially if you want really good reloads. Never seen anyone making precision or quality reloads with stuff out of a kit.

U still using the cheap bar scale supplied with most kits or the plastic calipers? The rock chucker is a great press, and okay u can use all the stuff that comes with it, thing is why? Especially if you want really good reloads. Never seen anyone making precision or quality reloads with stuff out of a kit.

That 5-0-5 scale is quality. I trust my eyeball to within .1gr or less. And I know for a fact how much is in the pan. What tells YOU that what's in your pan is exact when it comes from a electric scale with a number readout? Every time for hundreds of times? Plastic calipers? :eek: Never! Got a fine old, Harbor Freight set that works just fine.

It would be fun to have a "Weigh Off" between MY eye and a fancy $300.00 electronic scale though. If that's enough, I haven't priced them, $500.00? More accurate then the $300.00 scale?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top