JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome to the world of reloading. A few questions to answer will help get you going in the right direction:
What is your budget?
Do you have any space restrictions?
Do you have any time constraints?
How much do you shoot?

I'm not looking to manufacture ammo.
Just looking to maybe do 100 rounds every week or so.
Will for sure shoot more ammo than reload in a week.
No space restrictions.
Just a here and there hobby when there's free time.
As far as budget, I don't need the best of the best. Just need something that works and make quality rounds.

Well you started the correct way.

Primers = check.

With that key component, you can find the rest to go with it. You're about to see a lot of different opinions on what to go with.

My suggestion if you could find one is a Dillon 750. It is upgradable in the future.

Another option is to find a used single stage out there and start with that.

As i tell people; welcome to the next level of the "sickness." If you have access to fired brass, yo will need to clean it. "Horrible Fright" can be your friend here with a budget friendly vibratory cleaner and a box-o- crushed walnut media.
I was fortunate enough to have been indoctrinated right in to progressive reloading many years ago. I do not have first hand experience with single stage presses but RCBS has a great starter kit and even if you move to volume reloading in the future, a single stage press will prove to be a wise investment.
For load data, Hodgdon makes an excellent manual that they put out annually in the magazine aisle and it's only $9.95.

One way I got started is with a friend who had reloaded for the last 30+ years. He loaned me a single-stage press and I started learning each step in reloading one at a time. I also spent some bench time with him learning the subtleties of reloading and obtained a few reloading books.

You do need to take it slowly and get counsel from some of the people on this forum. There's a lot of experience here and all of us still have all our fingers, both eyes, and can still hear pretty well.

:s0115:

Bad time to start in, everything unavailable online.

You would be best starting with a kit that has most things you need. Press, powder drop, scale, primer, reloading manual etc. I prefer midsouth shooters supply, cabelas, optics planet, midway all carry stuff. Starting out I would go single stage or simple turret.

Likely you would need to buy a brass cleaner and caliper seperately.

Or just look in our classified for a complete set up.

Examples

In my experience theres alot of the kits out there are kinda "budget" and can cut some corners here and there.
Although they usually do contain most things to get started.

Id recommend trying to hold out for some deals on here.
Swing on over to the reloading classifieds and keep a sharp eye out for gear.
Id go with a powder thrower and trickler over a electronic scale and auto trickler. But eirher will work.
For the pistol stuff really any press will work.

The dillon stuff is very nice and worth the investment. When your sickness kicks in full strength down the road it can even be upgraded to a fully automated ammo production plant. (If you want to)

Any quality single stage press can handle 100 rounds or so per week. I recommend RCBS, as my Rockchucker II continues to serve me well going on 40 years. My Dillon RL-550B is capable of cranking out 200-300 rounds per hour, but it requires significantly higher investment (and greater stock of components!).
RCBS sells a package that includes most necessities for getting started, that's how I started. I also encourage you to acquire multiple loading manuals, I have over 15 of them and recently missed out on acquiring the most recent Sierra. Also, there are some really good videos on you tube, I like Johnny's Reloading Bench. Lastly, if you have any friends or acquaintances that you trust, and they hand load, see if they can show you. Nothing replaces hands on experience.

What do I need to deprime and clean the brass?
Depriming is done the same time as sizing the brass. So nothing extra there. Whatever dies you buy will cover it.

Cleaning the brass, you gave many options.
Bucket of soapy water can work.
or....
Dry tumble with media.

Wet tumble with stainless steel pins

or ultrasonic cleaner

i prefer wet tumbling. media gets nasty.

What do I need to deprime and clean the brass?
As previously mentioned Priming is typically an operation that is part of the resizing process.

There are a few methods of cleaning brass but both of these questions will be better answered (as well as the many others you will have) by studying a manual, looking at some of the recommended videos etc.

It will behoove you to start by studying up on the basics yourself and getting a good overview of all the processes. After that you will be able to ask 'tailored' questions to what you have already learned.

id recommend a wet tumbler. they work well and can be handy for other things as well such as ball milling black and flash powder. as well as other purposes. so its very handy and multi purpose. you can also use it tumble other small parts. (dont try the flash powder at home i take no responsibility if you do) you can also use those dry. a vibratory tumbler is fairly specific.
the frankford arsenal one seems to work fairly well but is kinda over priced if you ask me.

id recommend a cheap press rcbs like a rockchucker etc.
you may be able to find a cheap powder scale and trimmer around. look for a scale complete with the pan and weight sets as those can be a little spendy separately.
and the same with the trimmer. try to buy a full set with most pilots and collets if buying that sort of trimmer. there are more universal trimmers out there. the frankford arsenal trim and prep center is a worthwhile investment.
tricklers can be had fairly cheap i wouldnt sweat that. and many people lube individual case and size them. which is what i do, so i forgo the entire lube pad and "sauce".
i use a lee universal recapping die before i clean my brass so i clean the entire case including the primer pocket and flash hole before sizing (easier on the die) then i also give them a second quick cleaning after sizing to get the lube off the case. not that im picky and some of these steps can be combined or skipped.

i use a RCBS universal hand primer that uses two spring loaded jaws from each side where you can pretty much slide in any case. it works ok. idk if id recommend those. they are expensive i had to bevel and grind & polish the jaws on mine the cheap sheet metal stamping drove me crazy and a few shells popped out a few times. after mods ZERO issues. it gives good feedback as to whats going on with the primer and is somewhat ergonomic but i think there's gotta be better out there. and it was definitely over priced for what it is.
id reccomend trying a cheaper one and upgrading later.

i have the Redding #3BR powder measure. its spendy but i think its well worth it seems very accurate so far. the rifle micrometer (or universal it may be called) will go down as low as pistol brass for 9mm etc. its very good.

keep an eye out at garage sales. etc. i have MANY great deals on GREAT higher end items. and also friends and co workers will give you the BEST deals. so start networking! :s0011:

i should add i use a lee universal decaping die because starting out or even long experienced re loaders will usually break i pin eventually. the universal helps buffer that. i center tapped my post in that die with a .0625" bit in a drill press and just loctite the pin in there. if it breaks i just torch it out and replace it. its pretty durable. and i can buy the redding pins in bulk.

lee also makes whats called a universal neck expander. this little sucker can be very handy. the secret is you use it to reshape the heavy bent case mouths BEFORE sizing. and you can save otherwise un usable brass.

I'm surprised there isn't a pinned thread in this section to introduce new people into reloading. Just the basics of reloading. List of equipment needed. Doesn't really need to go in depth. There is a lot of good information in this thread already to get started

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top