JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A newbie question from me: Are there revolvers that have a semi-auto-like DA/SA mechanism, meaning first round is DA, but subsequent rounds will have the hammer cocked by the energy of the preceding shot?

Maybe a stupid question, but I'm just interested.

the Webley Fosberry as has been noted. it was chambered in .455 webley which was the standard british caliber for sidearms from the late 1800s to the Great War.

the Fosberry was not well regarded, it jammed easily. and there was no advantage to that mechanism over a DA revolver. hence why they're never seen.

they're now collectors pieces, unless you have 5000 dollars laying around getting a fosberry is probably not an option. and for 5000 bucks there's several guns I'd want more...

DA/SA with a revolver woks like this: DA shooting is pulling the trigger to move the hammer into the cocked position as the cylinder rotates to the next (presumably live) chamber and drops hammer firing the gun. SA firing is manually cocking the hammer which rotates cylinder to the next chamber, the trigger is then pulled to fire the gun.

Not all revolvers possess both abilities. Concealed hammered revolvers like the S&W 442/642/640, etc will only fire in DA mode. Colt SSA and Ruger Blackhawks (think cowboy gun) will only fire in SA mode.

But the OP asked if any revolvers operated by recoil to re-cock the hammer.

much like the Webley Fossberry as noted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the common DA/SA mechanism, I have a revolver with that system. For precision, I'd say dry fire practice is best, to make sure you just don't see the front sight move during the entire DA pull.

It would be interesting to have the SA-like ease of shooting available on subsequent shots, without the manual hammer cocking, but I guess that leaves (relatively) exotic/obscure options only.

There are a lot of good DA revolvers you can work like a SA when you want to, making it like (but not the same as) a DA/SA trigger on a modern semi-auto pistol. Instead of cocking the hammer to create the lighter single action trigger pull, you stage the double action trigger by pulling the trigger back to a certain point so that the hammer pulls back. Pause. Then it's just a couple pounds of pressure from there to fire the round. It takes a little practice, and you have to know when your firearm's trigger breaks, but once you get the hang of it you can fire SA accuracy with a DA trigger. Slower than a DA/SA platform, but at least as fast as a SA firearm, and you don't worry about coming off target while you cock the hammer with your thumb.

Get a Glock 21 pistol and install the NY-1 trigger sping in it, along with a 3.5 lb. connector...It's not a revolver, but what the heck...It holds more shots and is easier to carry and reload than a revolver.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top