Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Newbie from Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ODgreendream, Apr 17, 2013.

1. ODgreendream

ODgreendream Happy Valley, OR New Member

Good morning all! I'm a newbie to NWF, I'm proud to be a part of such a good group of people and hope to be able to have some great interaction with you all. I am mostly interested in handguns but I do have an interest in shotguns and rifles as well. I will be looking to purchase a handgun within the next month or so, but would like to be sure I'm making the right purchase and doing things right and within the law.
    Thanks for hearing me out and I hope everyone enjoys the sun sunny weather we've been having!
    CS aka. ODgreendream.

2. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Welcome. This place sucks your time way.

jb11 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. ODgreendream

I can see that already. Just passed my CHL test now on to the next step!

4. CarrieFinJacks

CarrieFinJacks oregon Member

Hey,
    I am also new from Oregon and just started wandering around the site-I mostly shoot hand guns but have a few rifles and a shot gun. When are you looking to buy a hand gun? I just bought my third three weeks ago.

5. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Start here Concealed Handgun Licenses

It takes about three months to get in to an appointment. If everything checks out you should walk out with your CHL after BGC, prints and a photo. If your are delayed you should get it in the mail in a week.

6. ODgreendream

Nick, thanks for the info!

Carrie, I'd like to get one within the month, I want to make sure I get the right handgun for me. I'm liking Springfield XD's and the Kel-tec PF-9 at the moment. I've been shooting for years but never personally owned a handgun. This is all pretty new to me. I don't care about looks or anything like that, RELIABILITY is my main concern. Any suggestions anyone?

7. CarrieFinJacks

CarrieFinJacks oregon Member

Well my new pistol is pretty awesome, I like the look and I am about 5'4" girl with small hands so it fit my hand pretty well and is fairly compact. I got the Ruger SR40c. I don't think it has any more recoil than my .38 revolver. I did find out in the Ruger forums that everyone loves theirs but you have to clean it really well before you shoot as they grease it VERY well from the factory and I got a lot of grease out of the breach area. Mine also came with a bonus Crimson Trace Flashlight on the rail that is ambidextrous which is pretty cool.

My husband shoots a S&W M&P .40 and he loves it and has had it about a year and has never had any problems with it. I like it because i can shoot it as it has interchangeable hand grips to make it comfortable for both of us. My friend has the Springfield and LOVES it. You can't really go wrong.

This biggest thing I tell people is this: Throw whatever anyone tells you out the window, go handle some guns and see what feels good. It is like buying a car, everyone has a different opinion. I did the best when I picked out my Ruger by just browsing and handling different ones. I actually went in to buy a Sig- ended up buying the Ruger as it felt better in my hand. I do say not to hold the H&K as it feels awesome in your hand and you will want to walk out the door but it usually costs more than the others by a lot :)

And Have FUN!!
    Let us know what you end up with.

8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Try a variety of handguns . I'd shy away from the Kel-tec based on reputation. Find a pistol that fits your hand and you like the controls. I'd suggest shooting some before buying.

9. ODgreendream

Thanks Drew and Carrie for all the info. I'm on the hunt as we speak!

10. jb11

jb11 salem Active Member

welcome aboard,the good thing about handguns is that they dont take up much space so you can have multiples of them.

11. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard:thumbup: