JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would also suggest to practice conceal carrying around your home , doing everyday things and the things that you expect to do when you are carrying and out and about.
Also not trying to be funny here...but it is a good idea to practice how you plan on using the restroom , when you are carrying , at home first....
Andy
As usual, Andy has nailed it again. I love Leather Holsters and have found that a properly cared for one will last a VERY long time. EVEN if used every day.

First off I suggest that you look at Leather Holsters. Kydex will wear on the finish of your Firearms.

That entirely depends on the holster design, some Kydex holsters retain the weapon at a couple points such as the ejection port and trigger guard. If a leather holster gets dirt and debris in it from rolling around on the ground it can impregnate the leather with grit like sandpaper and be very rough on a finish. I lot quality leather holsters get their retention from tight fitting hand boning.

Get something smaller for summer carry, and put it in your pocket (but practice unloaded first). I carry a 380 bodyguard when I wear shorts and don't want to OWB carry. Sometimes I carry it when I do OWB carry too.
We need a holster exchange on here, I too have a tub full of mostly new holsters :oops:

That entirely depends on the holster design, some Kydex holsters retain the weapon at a couple points such as the ejection port and trigger guard. If a leather holster gets dirt and debris in it from rolling around on the ground it can impregnate the leather with grit like sandpaper and be very rough on a finish. I lot quality leather holsters get their retention from tight fitting hand boning.

Agreed. Leather has its place, so does Kydex. If retention is a concern, Kydex wins. Thumb breaks notwithstanding of course.

I prefer leather because it is less noticeable than plastic if a shirt rides up, is softer against the body, and I prefer thumb breaks for any hiking/outdoor days. I don't care whether the finish on a carry gun wears. I prevent rust by cleaning and lightly lubricating.

I prefer leather because it is less noticeable than plastic if a shirt rides up, is softer against the body, and I prefer thumb breaks for any hiking/outdoor days. I don't care whether the finish on a carry gun wears. I prevent rust by cleaning and lightly lubricating.

Leather definitely has its place. My last leather holster would allow the gun to slowly work its way out. No active retention. My current EDC is kydex and its super thin and barely noticeable. Easy on, easy off. Everyone is different and needs to find out what works for them. Unfortunately as others have mentioned that usually results in a drawer/box/shelf of unwanted holsters. I wonder if there is a place for them, like the Island of Misfit Toys. :p

I will say that if someone's only experience with Kydex is $15 poorly-fitted models, definitely try one of the better makers before giving up. The Spetz Kydex I have is very well fitted and has almost as much retention as a leather thumb break.

I will say that if someone's only experience with Kydex is $15 poorly-fitted models, definitely try one of the better makers before giving up. The Spetz Kydex I have is very well fitted and has almost as much retention as a leather thumb break.

There's good holsters and there's crap in every type. :)

Get a Vedder holster. Adjustable retention, height and cant. All adjustments you'll ever need to get it right how you want. I wear mine IWB at 3oclock. I cant it forward so the grip kind of goes up my side instead of straight back. Comfortable, easy to get to. I wear mine anywhere between 2:30 and 3:30 depending on the pants. Sometimes the belt loop is in the way so you have to clip it right in front or behind the loop.

1) I find OWB @ 4 o'clock with a loose shirt untucked works well. Behind the hip with forward cant may work with your shoulder problem. Both of my shoulders are blown out and it works for me.
2) Suggest getting leather.
3) Belt is not mentioned, but a good one makes a big difference. It has to be stiff enough to hold the gun in tight to your body. I like the one from Dillon Precision. At $70 it's not cheap, but well worth it.
4) Just me, but I put my piece in the console when driving. If a cop wants me to get out I can do so without having a gun on me.
5) You appear to have gone about this in a most intelligent fashion. You'll be glad you are no longer a willing victim.

Last Edited:
I'm brand new to handguns with only limited firearm experience bird hunting with pump shotguns as a teen. My wife and I decided it was time to take action and exercise our 2A rights. We are in the process of basic firearm safety and handling training and then shooting training to be followed by CHL permits. We purchased a G43X for her and a G48 for me. We are both smaller people with small hands. I then did as much research as I could stand on holsters and ended up with a couple on order and one I bought at Cabela's. The first ordered holster (Aliengear IWB Cloak) showed up yesterday, and boy was I surprised and disappointed...in myself, not the holster per se. Due to years of work I apparently have very limited shoulder mobility. The holster is designed to be worn IWB at the 4-4:30 position. It is a kydex type holster with a stiff neoprene "scabbard". Due to my limited mobility, I am unable to draw or holster my gun with any proficiency with this holster. I simply cannot get my hand up and back to that position with any strength available. I see a lot of appendix carry position holsters sold. My feeling was that for a new gun owner that might not be the best option. The OWB strong side position (3:00) holster I got at Cabela's is easy for me to draw and holster, but of course it is not good for concealment with summer shirts. Now I'm confused where to go except maybe to Yoga instead of firearm training...

Welcome to the forum!

I've had three surgeries on my right shoulder so that 4-4:30 position is pretty challenging for me too. Do understand, however, that as you move past 3 o'clock and back to 4/4:30, most people need some CANT to their holster. Forgive me as I'm not really familiar with the Alien Gear rig but if it's a straight drop rig (ie no CANT), that is probably a big part of your problem. The position may still work for you with a CANTED rig.

For the 3 o'clock OWB position, the right holster is key if you are CCW'ing. Something like a Bravo Concealment holster or any other holster that is designed to carry tight into the body is what you're looking for to avoid printing. Not every OWB rig is meant for concealment but there are many out there and they will be your best shot (pun intended) for making this position work.

As for Appendix...As a new carrier, I wouldn't automatically shy away from appendix carry. Particularly as there are lots of pluses for this position and especially for someone with limited shoulder mobility. As long as you're committed to learning proper technique/process for this position and dedicated to practicing it, you should be fine.

My favorite appendix rig is the JM Custom AIWB-WC holster (now in the 2.0 version). He has a few variants to choose from. Linky below.

G Code makes the Incog holster which is also a decent appendix rig and I hear really good things about Tier 1 Concealed's Agis and Axis holsters if you wanted to go with an attached sidecar type holster (magazine pouch attached to the holster).

Do note that whether you go leather or kydex they BOTH cause wear against your gun's finish. In fact, leather can sometimes actually cause more wear than kydex. Leather will often wear against the entire surface of the gun where kydex may wear just on the contact points. But this can vary widely between all the various holster/gun combinations.

Also don't get discouraged. We ALL have a drawer full of holsters. It usually takes most people a bit of trial and error for them to find what works best for them. It's also hard to advise someone given all the different gun/holster combinations, different preferences, different body types, etc. What works great for me might work horribly for you.

The advice I usually give to new carriers is try to stick to a more popular gun initially (like your Glock) and the more popular, high quality holsters. In this manner you can usually sell the holster without too much trouble/loss if you find out it doesn't work for you.

And do keep all this in mind with your wife too. Her body and clothing requirements are probably vastly different than yours. So what works well for you may simply not work for her. But it might help to try and figure out your rig first. She can certainly try yours on to see if it's something that might work for her, before she spends the money.

Good luck and let us know where you have questions. :)

I'm brand new to handguns with only limited firearm experience bird hunting with pump shotguns as a teen. My wife and I decided it was time to take action and exercise our 2A rights. We are in the process of basic firearm safety and handling training and then shooting training to be followed by CHL permits. We purchased a G43X for her and a G48 for me. We are both smaller people with small hands. I then did as much research as I could stand on holsters and ended up with a couple on order and one I bought at Cabela's. The first ordered holster (Aliengear IWB Cloak) showed up yesterday, and boy was I surprised and disappointed...in myself, not the holster per se. Due to years of work I apparently have very limited shoulder mobility. The holster is designed to be worn IWB at the 4-4:30 position. It is a kydex type holster with a stiff neoprene "scabbard". Due to my limited mobility, I am unable to draw or holster my gun with any proficiency with this holster. I simply cannot get my hand up and back to that position with any strength available. I see a lot of appendix carry position holsters sold. My feeling was that for a new gun owner that might not be the best option. The OWB strong side position (3:00) holster I got at Cabela's is easy for me to draw and holster, but of course it is not good for concealment with summer shirts. Now I'm confused where to go except maybe to Yoga instead of firearm training...
I second the vote for appendix carry (about 1 oclock). This is my choice for carrying my small 9mm carry guns (Springfield subcompact mod2, and SCCY CPX-2) . Some will say, "I don't want my gun pointing towards my wanger !". That doesn't worry me. It's impossible for your finger to be on the trigger when drawing, and my finger is never on the trigger when reholstering. And I am very careful to make sure none of my shirt tail gets in a position to pull the trigger when reholstering. And, I should mention that with palm safety and DOA, my guns don't fire as easily as a Glock. If you trust yourself to handle your gun safely, any carry method should be safe, I think. OK. I mostly use Vedder Light Tuck kydex appendix holsters. ("Tuck" is great. Continue reading). Well made. Light. Tough. Yes, the kydex holster eventually rubs a little of the finish off my guns where the contact is, but I don't care. I consider these "duty" guns; for personal protection. Those little holstering blemishes remind me of how long the gun has been my friend. I love the the kydex bc it has a great dimensional stability, and is stiff enough so that the gun always holsters and draws easily and perfectly, even if you wear your belt tight against it. However, with leather holsters I sometimes have to wiggle the gun around to get it to enter the holster, bc leather collapses a little under pressure, especially if IWB. And kydex doesn't change if it gets wet, from sweat or water. Leather can change shape some when wet-then-dry, as it is an organic material. I've done OWB 3 oclock, IWB 4 oclock, cross draw, etc, and for my small compact 9mm carry guns have settled on appendix for these reasons: I can easily reach and draw my gun regardless of what position I'm in. You have a lot of arm strength when drawing appendix, and it's an easy to reach area. Also, I can easily draw gun when sitting. This was a biggie for me. When sitting in my car or a chair in a restaurant, I can easily and pretty discreetly put my hand on my gun without contorting or twisting my body or having to stand up. You mentioned tucking shirts in. Alas ! You can do that with "tuckable" IWB holsters, like the Vedder Light Tuck I use. (I am not affiliated with Vedder in any way. There are many brands of "tuckable" holsters, but Vedder is a very good one). Also, most of the appendix IWB holsters have only one clip, and it's usually open on one end, so you don't have to remove your belt to put the holster on or remove it. That is very convenient. And, with short barreled compact or subcompact guns in appendix position, I can bend over and tie my shoe, b/c the end of the barrel stays just above the top of my leg is when I bend over. I normally leave my shirts untucked, but when I wear my gun to weddings, church, and funerals, I tuck my shirt in, over the gun. No one notices. The gun barely prints; especially with patterned or dark shirts. And it helps that I don't wear skin tight shirts or t-shirts when tucking. "Tuckable" holsters have a thin space between the belt clip and the holster, which allows your shirt to cover the gun – if desired. It's kind of hard to picture in your head, so search "tuckable appendix iwb holster", or look at
, and you'll see how it works. The youtube above shows exactly how I tuck my shirt over my holster if I need to dress up a little, and it shows you how quickly and easily you can jerk you shirt up and draw your weapon. NOTE: You don't HAVE to tuck your shirt in with "tuckable" holsters, but you have that option. Tuckable holsters work equally great with shirt in or out. I'm actually not sure if appendix works as well if you have a big belly. Perhaps a gun store will let you either take a tuckable appendix holster home and try it, or at least try it while in the store.

Appendix is definitely something to consider. It gives you access while driving and it keeps the gun right in the medial/transverse intersect of your body. Many people will give you the "I don't want a gun pointing at my bits" routine. Well, anywhere in your belt is gonna point at something you dont want shot, and your trigger discipline should be without fail no matter where you carry. At least with appendix you can see it. A good appendix holster, Tier 1, Trex arms (my favorite) QVO (quick violent over) and may others use a side car system for your pistol and extra mag. If you have a large belly, it probably wont work well, but if you're thin to average and maybe even a little more than average, it can be worn comfortably and conceals well, assuming you don't wear real tight shirts. Yeah, kydex will wear the finish off your gun (if you care about that sort of thing) if you practice drawing it anywhere half way the amount you should be with a carry gun. Conversely, leather tends to give and wear to a point it can find its way into your trigger guard. Kydex wont- unless it gets hot enough to soften, but you'd be dead by then anyway.
5546662595_4b5d2dfaa1_o.jpg leather-holster-ad-nd-2.jpg leather-holster-ad-nd-1.jpg

Im 5'10 and 180 (on a R E A L good day). I wear 33's instead of 32's and a large shirt instead of a schmedium and I can conceal a G45 with a TLR1 and a 19 round mag AND a full size fixed blade easily. I do wear a wifebeater under my T shirt to keep the gun off my body for sweat/comfort and drawing reasons. You MUST be cognizant that this COULD get into ANY type of holster and cause an ND while reholstering.
Body type will be your determining comfort and concealment factors. Depending on where you are I could let you try mine out, but im a lefty and it may be super awkward for a Right (normal) handed person.

20190803_225701.jpg

20190803_225724.jpg
20190803_230326.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR