JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never cared about AR rifles, never really had a desire to own one - until Obama became President, and folks like Pelosi, Bloomberg, Gabby & the Spaceman, Floyd "Pretty Boy" Prozanski, Kitzhaber, Brown and others decided that it was up to them to choose what I could and could not own. I felt it was now a necessity - and I named my first AR "Spite" in honor of those that refuse to honor the freedom we have guaranteed under the 2nd.

What I didn't anticipate is how much I really enjoy the AR rifles. They are a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. As so many others have said, they are very versatile. And, of course, they symbolize not only American ingenuity, but the very freedom many in this country would seek to take from us.

I think every American gun owner should own at least one AR. And if they are so inclined, I think they should build one. They are fun. They are versatile. And they are a symbol of American liberty and freedom. What's not to love?? :)

One word of warning - once you get the AR out of the way, you may also find yourself mysteriously drawn to an AK as well. I would recommend not fighting that urge ;):p:s0003:
"Spite" LOL :s0023:

Long time inactive member, first time posting. Please forgive any lapse in judgment on my part.

I have never had any desire to own an AR15 but I Am beginning to get curious as to why they are so popular. Being a handy kind of guy the whole "Lego" aspect is also attractive to me. The biggest problem is that I don't know anything about how they work. Is there a good book on how they work and building one for a newbie? Thanks for any recommendations.

I would suggest these if you want a book

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/328052/the-new-ar-15-complete-owners-guide-book-by-walt-kuleck-with-greg-king?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Books,+Videos+&+Software+-+Books-_-Scott+Duff+Publications-_-328052&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5ti3BRD89aDFnb3SxPcBEiQAssnp0kkKzLQJRzuakCC8z3CFdnB3YYkUtbylClUrMXpZlgsaAiVd8P8HAQ

or

https://play.google.com/store/books...US&gclid=CLDNr-b03csCFZClfgodOYkNOw&gclsrc=ds

Here is a FREE PDF that could be helpful

http://www.gunsnet.net/manuals/BUILDERS_GUIDE.pdf

And an online American Rifleman source with videos and other suggestions

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/10/31/building-a-custom-ar-15-at-home/

All that being said, I would suggest just buying one. You don't need to break the bank, you can (as I write this) find a new factory AR-15 for 5-600 dollars out the door. That price will rise as elections approach.

Buy one, shoot it, see if you like it. Field strip it, learn how it works and how the parts work. Then, if you DO catch the bug (like myself and so many others) you can start by buying the parts YOU want to have and build it piece by piece and you will not take such a hit on your wallet.

I started building my own probably about 6 years ago. I typically build one at a time and slowly as the parts I need go on sale. I have rifles worth 2k that only cost me a little under a grand to build and some that cost me below 400 dollars and function flawlessly. The beauty of the AR platform is its customization and ability to make it yours from compensator to butt stock.

ENJOY!

Not having to head space the bolt to barrel is probably the one thing that makes it so easy to assemble an AR.
Try building an AK-47 and you will greatly appreciate the simplicity in the AR's components.

Not having to head space the bolt to barrel is probably the one thing that makes it so easy to assemble an AR.
Try building an AK-47 and you will greatly appreciate the simplicity in the AR's components.

Really? Not what I read... I guess I should do more research on that.

When pairing a bolt and a barrel you should always check headspace. In reality almost no one does and every 10,000 times or so it results in a problem. We have such good parts that it is just assumed everything is good.

I have a set of national match 5.56 headspace gauges and have checked maybe 70 pairs. I have yet to come across one that did not fall within the acceptable limits but they do vary quite a bit. I have had some that where marginal

Really? Not what I read... I guess I should do more research on that.

Unless you are making your own barrels from scratch, the headspace is determined when the barrel is made (barrel extension is typically attached by the barrel manufacturer)

headspace.jpg

The barrel extension is usually already attached.

You can get barrels without gas ports drilled and without the extension installed though if you want to do more of the manufacturing. But they are not easy to find without the entension already installed
776862.jpg

Are you referring to torquing the barrel to the upper receiver?

Yes and no. It was instructional vid I watched 2yrs ago before I did my first build. (Can't remember the specifics of it now.) As a result, I've never installed a barrel and instead buy complete uppers.

So, I did some looking this morning and found that it is a hot subject about whether to check headspace or not. Seems to be split about 50/50.

Apparently all that is needed is to torque to specs, then make sure the back of the bolt is even or below the back of the receiver, yes? But some folks think it needs to be checked with go/nogo as a final measure for loading and for safety. Usually it's safe enough if visually checked, but may not chamber correctly if headspace is too small. Does backing off the torque change the headspace? Or is the barrel simply seated all the way, regardless of torque, and if headspace is not correct, either the bolt, the receiver, or the barrel (per Bolus) is defective and one must change parts? I'm still a bit confused on this. (Which is why I just bought my second complete upper. Maybe if I knew more, I'd give installing one a try.) As usual internet info is all over the place.

Last Edited:
The technical answer is yes, the practical answer is no. If you are bench-resting .25 MOA groups with precision hand loads it might matter. For any practical shooter I don't think its an issue.

Thanx! My varminter was like that but I don't expect I will need that kind of accuracy in future builds.

Thank you all. There is some great info. Just what I needed. I Will look at the links and suggestions and begin to wrap my head around it.

I am thinking eventually something in 22-250....

Thanks again.

You should go into Sporting Systems in downtown Vancouver. They are very helpful and would be more than willing to show you around the platform and even have a bench to help you build one.

Now is the perfect time to get into the AR15 platform simply because parts are widely available right now.

Long time inactive member, first time posting. Please forgive any lapse in judgment on my part.

I have never had any desire to own an AR15 but I Am beginning to get curious as to why they are so popular. Being a handy kind of guy the whole "Lego" aspect is also attractive to me. The biggest problem is that I don't know anything about how they work. Is there a good book on how they work and building one for a newbie? Thanks for any recommendations.

There IS a great place to learn all about the AR15 (and it's variants), but you'll have to see your local Marine Corps recruiter to set you up, like I did :)

Jh buy you woods zi

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads