JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Think of the AR platform as the small block chevy of the gun world. There are millions of them and there are millions more options available to customize to suit any need! I have found the utility to be very hard to beat! Plus, when all the antis started really pouncing on it, I decided I needed more then one so that I could stick it to them in my own sort of way! My wife really loves hers, she is very shy of recoil and these are so soft to shoot she has a lot of fun and has gotten very good with hers!

I get really excited when I see a new opportunity to build or tune, or customize any rifle or handgun project! I get all fired up when I see people just getting started in the gun world, or just starting out in the customizing/building world of fire arms!!! I am always amazed that the members here are always willing to help out and to offer advice and ideas with any project a person brings up! I just finished my first full build of an AR thanks in no small part to the help and advice I got here on this forum. Well done folks, well done!!! Now I need to find a AR upper and lower that takes a 30/06 length cartridge and start building anew!!! Awe............building fire arms, never get enough!

The AR series of rifles are fun and easy to shoot.
Loads of aftermarket goodies for them , so you alter it as you see fit.
As for a reference source I would suggest you get a copy of FM 23-9.
The Army's field manual for the M16 rifle.
It covers everything from assembly to operations and malfunctions.
Andy

If you must have paper in your hands in addition to what is on the internet, youtube, and this forum, Walmart usually has at least one AR book for sale. Although, I did go there this morning and my local Wal-e-store has taken down all their AR accessories... anybody else notice this?

Anyway, I am long time shooter that is on board with everything suggested on this thread so far. I will double down on advise suggesting buying your first one as a finished production rifle so that you know what to expect, and how one is properly built and running. Unless you have a buddy that will let you shoot his a LOT! Unlike just a few years ago, there are reasonable quality complete ARs for under $600. (I like Ruger.)

Then later, you can start your custom build in confidence and with some knowledge of what you would like your first build to be (lightweight, varminter, shorty, Grendel, .300BLK, whatever). I highly recommend against building your own upper at this point!!! Unless you have the skill to headspace the barrel/bolt, you can get into trouble real quick! If you have someone with the proper headspace go/nogo that is willing to help, then maybe ok. Complete uppers are readily available in all stripes and colors.

@billdotcom: My first AR15 was a Bushmaster generic rifle length unit (20" barrel and solid stock, 20 yrs ago) with a standard trigger, a muzzle brake, and a Tasco 1x red dot scope.

1 1/2 yrs ago, I completed this varminter:
100_1402_zpsb1a8q6mk.jpg

Now I am building a shorty (faux SBR, 10.5" barrel and pistol buffer), then probably a shorty 9mm. After that, who knows... but I've definitely been bit.

I never cared about AR rifles, never really had a desire to own one - until Obama became President, and folks like Pelosi, Bloomberg, Gabby & the Spaceman, Floyd "Pretty Boy" Prozanski, Kitzhaber, Brown and others decided that it was up to them to choose what I could and could not own. I felt it was now a necessity - and I named my first AR "Spite" in honor of those that refuse to honor the freedom we have guaranteed under the 2nd.

What I didn't anticipate is how much I really enjoy the AR rifles. They are a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. As so many others have said, they are very versatile. And, of course, they symbolize not only American ingenuity, but the very freedom many in this country would seek to take from us.

I think every American gun owner should own at least one AR. And if they are so inclined, I think they should build one. They are fun. They are versatile. And they are a symbol of American liberty and freedom. What's not to love?? :)

One word of warning - once you get the AR out of the way, you may also find yourself mysteriously drawn to an AK as well. I would recommend not fighting that urge ;):p:s0003:

Not a big Southern sympathizer (I have relatives that fought for North and South) but since my pisstola lower was Palmetto State and my upper Radical Firearms of Houston my "little friend" is called REBEL YELL! I like SPITE as well, Erudne.

Brutus Out

I don't know why I feel the need to collect AR's but I do. I only really shoot a handful of the ones I have but I keep piling up more of them. I had to sit and think for a minute but best I can remember I have bought or built 6.... This year, as in since January 1st.

Its more of a sickness at this point. I probably should seek psychological care. :(

I don't know why I feel the need to collect AR's but I do. I only really shoot a handful of the ones I have but I keep piling more of them. I had to sit and think for a minute but best I can remember I have bought or built 6.... This year, as in since January 1st.

Its more of a sickness at this point. I probably should seek psychological care. :(

Since the media uses the term "arsenal" when someone has like 3 or 4 guns, they would have to make up a whole new word for your collection.

Since the media uses the term "arsenal" when someone has like 3 or 4 guns, they would have to make up a whole new word for your collection.

All jokes aside its really a pretty terrifying thing. You hear some of those news reports where they crucify the guy and in reality he has bubkis... If a guy collects Corvettes and has 50 of them people just think he's an eccentric old rich guy. A guy collects 50 black rifles because he likes them and automatically he is a "sociopath who fortunately we found before he snapped and hurt anyone". Its crazy how people can be so scared of one pile of metal and plastic (an AR) and not another (A Corvette)

All jokes aside its really a pretty terrifying thing. You hear some of those news reports where they crucify the guy and in reality he has bubkis... If a guy collects Corvettes and has 50 of them people just think he's an eccentric old rich guy. A guy collects 50 black rifles because he likes them and automatically he is a "sociopath who fortunately we found before he snapped and hurt anyone". Its crazy how people can be so scared of one pile of metal and plastic (an AR) and not another (A Corvette)

I think I have a "modest collection" because my safe fits in a closet. I dont have a walk in gun room safe like some of the guys here. But yeah, the media would crucify me. "tools to make ghost guns" "thousands of rounds of ammunition" "freeze dried food in the cabinet" Im a certifiable media-approved loony.

Its funny because one of the local TV station news directors was one of my patients 10 or so years ago. He once told me "I hope you and your family die in a FEMA line waiting for cipro" because I would not write a prescription for a year's worth of cipro for the bird flu that was supposed to kill us all that year.

No wonder the news is so over the top with its alarmist content.

I think I have a "modest collection" because my safe fits in a closet. I dont have a walk in gun room safe like some of the guys here. But yeah, the media would crucify me. "tools to make ghost guns" "thousands of rounds of ammunition" "freeze dried food in the cabinet" Im a certifiable media-approved loony.

Its funny because one of the local TV station news directors was one of my patients 10 or so years ago. He once told me "I hope you and your family die in a FEMA line waiting for cipro" because I would not write a prescription for a year's worth of cipro for the bird flu that was supposed to kill us all that year.

No wonder the news is so over the top with its alarmist content.

There's good money to be made in crazy - it sells papers (well, used to) and gets people to watch the news. If you were presented as nothing more than a doctor with a gun collection, you would be too boring to watch ;) Hating on gun owners is all the rage these days :p

Besides, why would anyone need more than one gun?? :rolleyes:

If you Goggle "Charlton Hestons Gun Room" these pics show up, but in reality, it was owned by a rich southern lawyer, who has since passed away and it was all sold in an auction.
It was housed in the basement behind a really neat bank vault door.
There is a shooting range and also a movie theater to watch old John Wayne films.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoX6hBFLzu5ox45QwM6gMdOnUkDiLuymYZC1qfXFOSsNYNtulTvg.jpg
gunvault2.jpg

Last Edited:
There's good money to be made in crazy - it sells papers (well, used to) and gets people to watch the news. If you were presented as nothing more than a doctor with a gun collection, you would be too boring to watch ;) Hating on gun owners is all the rage these days :p

Besides, why would anyone need more than one gun?? :rolleyes:
Because they made, crew served, belt fed, fully automatic weapons illegal in the 30s. That's why we need more than one gun!:s0003:

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads