JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All,
I am new to guns in general although I am 58 yrs old. We have a few pistols purchased within the last year or so (3 Glocks, 1 Walther, 1 Sig), have done our basic training and have put several hundred rounds through our small collection. Of course I recently got the bug for the AR style pistols and rifles and ended up recently purchasing a complete AR pistol in 10mm for my first one. Can't speak to it yet, it hasn't even been shipped. So I started thinking about building my own (actually just putting together with parts) an AR-15 chambered in 5.56. Started searching around last night and have come to the conclusion that right now this is an impossible endeavor...There are no parts available. Is this just a temporary thing, or is it common to have almost all the parts out of stock and you just have to sign up on waiting lists? Again, I am a total newb and just trying to educate myself of what to expect. Thanks!

Try these sites. Parts appear to be pretty readily available.

Hello All,
I am new to guns in general although I am 58 yrs old. We have a few pistols purchased within the last year or so (3 Glocks, 1 Walther, 1 Sig), have done our basic training and have put several hundred rounds through our small collection. Of course I recently got the bug for the AR style pistols and rifles and ended up recently purchasing a complete AR pistol in 10mm for my first one. Can't speak to it yet, it hasn't even been shipped. So I started thinking about building my own (actually just putting together with parts) an AR-15 chambered in 5.56. Started searching around last night and have come to the conclusion that right now this is an impossible endeavor...There are no parts available. Is this just a temporary thing, or is it common to have almost all the parts out of stock and you just have to sign up on waiting lists? Again, I am a total newb and just trying to educate myself of what to expect. Thanks!
Parts are out there. Just have to hunt. However, what the panic buying people are doing has depleted the once very very very saturated market. Up until January/February parts and sales could be found everywhere. Dirt cheap too. The parts will come back, dont worry. Just dont overpay. Scarcity does not and should not equate to value for insanely common parts. It'll all come back, at for very low prices too.

Id also check the forum, consistently. Parts at great prices spring up all the time.

Is this part of the forum (Semi-auto Rifles) the best place to search for help on AR-15 building? And thanks for all the replies so far, very helpful. I was mostly on the Aero and Bear Creek Arsenal sites last night among others. My limited knowledge is telling me that I should pair up a lower and an upper receiver from the same manufacturer; since I am thinking about a 16" barrel, I should go with a mid-length gas system; I like the M-Lok type free floating handguards, and since I am not a big guy, I want to keep it fairly light weight; I like the Magpul furniture and the MOE SL stock; and I probably want a muzzle brake to keep it softer shooting. Isn't the most critical part to spend money on the barrel? Are most cold hammer forged and is that something that I should focus on (I'm only using for home defense and recreational shooting)? Feel free to ignore all these stupid questions or just tell me to use the search function...LOL.

Is this part of the forum (Semi-auto Rifles) the best place to search for help on AR-15 building? And thanks for all the replies so far, very helpful. I was mostly on the Aero and Bear Creek Arsenal sites last night among others. My limited knowledge is telling me that I should pair up a lower and an upper receiver from the same manufacturer; since I am thinking about a 16" barrel, I should go with a mid-length gas system; I like the M-Lok type free floating handguards, and since I am not a big guy, I want to keep it fairly light weight; I like the Magpul furniture and the MOE SL stock; and I probably want a muzzle brake to keep it softer shooting. Isn't the most critical part to spend money on the barrel? Are most cold hammer forged and is that something that I should focus on (I'm only using for home defense and recreational shooting)? Feel free to ignore all these stupid questions or just tell me to use the search function...LOL.

There is a lot of information in the semi-auto section along with other places on the web. You do not need to use the same brand lower and upper, as long as they are in spec they are all compatible, but it doesn't hurt either. A 16" mid-length is a great start and the most common. M-LOK is also most common and a great choice.

Yes the barrel is the most critical part, along with the bolt carrier group. Spend most of your money on those key components from quality manufacturer and you should be ok. Cold hammer forging has its advantages, but in my opinion is only an upgrade and not needed.

There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Not impossible at all. I just built one. You may have to look around to a few different places to source your parts but it can easily be done. Additionally there are stores in the area (depending where you are) that have all the pieces you would need. Aero is pretty sold out, but their distributors do have parts in some capacity. Try sites like Primary Arms, Optic Planet (they ship kind slow), AIM Surplus, Brownells, etc.

I followed the nz85 YT videos: nsz85

Had no issues and he shows how not to mark up the upper.

Advice:
  • Buy a small container of AeroShell from eBay or Amazon. This is used for the barrel threads.
  • go with a better trigger than comes with a lower parts kit. The ALG ACT is a mil spec trigger that has been hand worked and is very crisp. There are also so pretty nifty drop in triggers out there. These are easier to install than mil spec type triggers.
  • The first time you install a mil spec trigger you will almost certainly install the spring upside down and have to re-assemble it.
  • Get an extra LPK for replacement parts. Get extra parts for your bolt carrier group as well at the same time.
  • Don't cut corners. Use a torque wrench on the barrel nut. Make sure the castle nut is staked, etc.. Take your time and do it right.
  • Because of the tools you will need to purchase you will spend more to built than to buy, even if you can find some great sales. What you get for the extra money is the ability to properly maintain your AR, the knowledge of how everything works, the satisfaction of building your own, and the associated pride when you take it shooting.

I would think twice about putting a muzzle brake on a rifle that plays a role in home defense. First, the 223/5.56 cartridge doesn't produce a heavy recoil. When i was in the Army we were schooled to put the tip of our nose against the charging handle to get a consistent sight picture. Second, muzzle brakes greatly increase the volume of noise to the shooter, which increases the likelihood of permanent hearing damage. That is particularly true in a home defense situation where you're probably in close quarters and you probably aren't going to be wearing ear protection.

Personally, I'd just go with a flash hider.

Just an old guys .02

You have come to the right place, lots of good information in here.

Id also recommend watching alot of reputable AR build videos on youtube if you are a visual learner.

Building an AR is fairly easy and straight forward but like others have mentioned there are a few things you want to take your time on and do properly.

If you are near Carlton at all let me know, we have a good selection of AR build parts(Aero, BCM, SOLGW, etc) in stock and more coming in weekly. I also try to update our classified ad weekly.

Good luck and welcome to "Lego's for Adults" its addicting.

Hello All,
I always put this up for the new guys.
I think it's the best, free AR Build video(s) on the Interwebz.
Brownell's uses 11 short videos to focus on each aspect of the build.
One trap some of the new guys fall into is buying junk parts and attempting to deal with junk vendors.
A good method is to post up your build list list and let the members here have a look.

ETA:
There are (2) "oversights" in the videos.
1) Use a moly-based grease like AeroShell 33MS on the receiver threads and torque shoulder of the barrel extension before installing barrel.
2) When working on a muzzle device, clamp the barrel in a bench vise with the proper "barrel blocks".
And don't go full retard with torque on a muzzle device. Follow procedure.

I would think twice about putting a muzzle brake on a rifle that plays a role in home defense. First, the 223/5.56 cartridge doesn't produce a heavy recoil. When i was in the Army we were schooled to put the tip of our nose against the charging handle to get a consistent sight picture. Second, muzzle brakes greatly increase the volume of noise to the shooter, which increases the likelihood of permanent hearing damage. That is particularly true in a home defense situation where you're probably in close quarters and you probably aren't going to be wearing ear protection.

Personally, I'd just go with a flash hider.

Just an old guys .02

Yeah, you can't beat an A2. So many people get wrapped in the need of expensive muzzle brakes/comps etc... they do work and some work well but I had a BCM comp once (came free with upper) and I removed it in favor of an A2. The BCM is mild in comparison to some loud ones out there.

Is this part of the forum (Semi-auto Rifles) the best place to search for help on AR-15 building? And thanks for all the replies so far, very helpful. I was mostly on the Aero
I like Aero Precision, a Tacoma-based company. You can usually find the best prices scoping out their dealer network.
Bear Creek Arsenal sites last night among others.
BCA got busted for using illegals.
No wonder their prices were so low !

My limited knowledge is telling me that I should pair up a lower and an upper receiver from the same manufacturer; since I am thinking about a 16" barrel, I should go with a mid-length gas system;
Yes, mid-gas is a natural for a 16" barrel

I like the M-Lok type free floating handguards
M-LOK won the market war against KeyMod.
I liked M-LOK better from the start.

since I am not a big guy, I want to keep it fairly light weight; I like the Magpul furniture and the MOE SL stock
Magpul makes great products.

I probably want a muzzle brake to keep it softer shooting.
You don't need a fancy brake on a 5.56 rifle. Get an A2 flash hider.

Isn't the most critical part to spend money on the barrel? Are most cold hammer forged and is that something that I should focus on (I'm only using for home defense and recreational shooting)?
There are good, relatively inexpensive barrels for the AR in today's market.
Ballistic Advantage
AR Performance
Faxon
White Oak

You won't be needing a Krieger or Bartlein barrel for your AR.

Hello All,

I would hit up @HighLine for the Del-Ton rifle kit he has listed at $320. That is a great price and he has plenty of lowers too.

There are still plenty of parts available online, just not as cheap as a few months back. That probably won't change until after the election, and if the election goes a certain way prices might stay high.

Building ARs is pretty easy. No particular need to get the same brand upper/lower. That's the beauty of mil-spec - it all fits together, leaving you with other attributes for the purchase decision, vs. locking into one brand.

Spikes Tactical is good, for lowers around $100 +/- Aero is fine too. (Spikes in stock below)

Suggest something like the XTS .223/5.56 1/2"x28 Forward Sounding Muzzle Device - 3.25" ($25)
that projects the sound forward, especially helpful in a home defense / close quarters situation.

You might want to consider buying a completed upper, it's less tricky to put the lower together as a newbe than an upper from parts. Here's one from Davidson Defense, 16" mid-length, MLOK.

Davidson Defense "Peridot" AR-15 Upper Receiver 16" .223 Wylde 4150 CMV 1-8T Barrel 13" M-Lok Handguard ($190 Unassembled + $20 assembled); comes with a decent muzzle device.

The 223 Wylde barrel shoots .223/5.56 with arguably greater accuracy than military std. When buying an AR upper, you purchase the BCG (Bolt Control Group) and Charging Handle separately.

The ALG ACT trigger mentioned above is an excellent choice, in stock at Brownells.com

The parts I mentioned are all in stock available for ordering.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top