JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just saw the news this morning...

A Newberg man who lives off of SW Bald Peak Rd. walked into his home to find 3 men (all 3 are white and in their 40-50's), he claims to have "negotiated" with them for quite some time, telling them to, "take whatever they want and just leave". The victim says he then managed to retrieve a handgun that was hidden within his home and fired at the suspects, not hitting any of them. Investigations are still underway.

Funny thing is, my wife was just "chastizing" me the night before last that she didn't like me "wearing my pistol around the house" (it was in a shoulder rig I was wearing when we were out and didn't bother taking it off for the evening).... I told her in so many words (respectfully of course).... "too bad". I fully intend to use this incident as a, "this is why I do it" teaching moment. :winkkiss:

I taught my gf whenever she came home by herself, always have a handgun on her hand and make sure she clear the house before get into her comfortable zone. I am the same way, I may be paranoid but when I came home by myself, I alway clear the house with before I removed my gun.

My wife doesn't care and never has. She just doesn't like when I carry a fullsize 1911 to church. :s0112: She will get used to it and then expect you to be carrying around the house.

Interesting story since this is a situation I actually think about from time to time. A few unsavories live out my way and when we first moved in 2 years ago there was a couple different cars I'd catch pulling out of my driveway fast and recklessly in what looked like a panic. Also I heard rumor of a few break ins. Luckily for me there is almost always somebody home at my house since I work the night shift and my wife works day shift. Only time the house is truly empty is when the whole family is packed up for a family outing. I personally think they have cased my place enough by now to realize this and probably finally decided it's to risky. Doesn't hurt that I often shoot into my hillside behind my house I don't guess. If they've done their homework as I suspect they have they know it really really isn't worth the risk.

a few weeks ago my sister in law opened the garage to find a intruder (part of a Russian gang ) he took off running but had she been alone and if it was in the house it may have been a different story

the officer asked if she had any weapons and she said my brother did and he suggested that she learn how to use them.

People think that it cant happen to them in their own homes. To me, this is the place where Im most on guard. The 2 big (and 1 very mean dog) seem to help quite a bit. They wont let you out of your vehicle, much less let you get close to the house on foot. Nevertheless I still carry my .45 from the moment I wake up, till the moment I pass out for the night. My gun hides within arms length when Im in the shower. The GF thinks Im paranoid but I think Im somewhat prepared. The one good thing that the GF does is if the dogs dont greet her in the driveway, she doesnt enter the house. Something is wrong. The one thing I dont understand, (maybe I can get some input from you guys) she has her CHL but just wont carry. What is she gonna do if somehow someone does get into the house? Beats the heck out of me.

What to do on why she won't carry? Depends... is it due to just being stubborn that she's "above violence", or too timid, or too scared, or can't be bothered, or does a gun clash with her outfit? Believe me, "chick logic" knows no bounds as to it's rationalizations and conclusions... just none!! (DISCLAIMER- not ALL women are like this... MY wife is PERFECT!!) :D

My fiancée was listening from the bathroom while she was getting ready for work. The story was running and I hear her voice from the bathroom,"that's why you have to have your gun on you." I don't know if that was for me or herself but either way it is the correct idea. She definately has the right mind about self defense.

My fiancée was listening from the bathroom while she was getting ready for work. The story was running and I hear her voice from the bathroom,"that's why you have to have your gun on you." I don't know if that was for me or herself but either way it is the correct idea. She definately has the right mind about self defense.

Fiancée huh? That means she hasn't married you yet and if I act quickly enough I can snag that smart chick up. :D

Kidding of course I'm h-h-h-hapily married. :s0112:

Thats a keeper what are you waiting for. :s0155:

His gun should have been on his side not stashed in the house where bad guys could have found it and used it on him. This kind of stuff will happen more and more as the economy goes down hill and people become more desperate...:(

I just wish I could get my wife to lock the doors when she leaves. I dont get home until usually after dark, and she doesnt get home until after me usually. So I come home home many times to a dark house, with the back sliding glass door unlocked. We have a dog but we lock it in the garage because it likes to crap on the floor when we leave the house so it's no use. I keep telling her that I am either going to get murdered one day or someone is going to steal one of my guns and use it in a felony and I'll go to jail. She just cant seem to grasp that it could happen to us. I mean **** we live in Hazel dell, it's not the nicest area...

I don't go anywhere unarmed and when I come home I am especially on guard for this very reason. I finally talked the wife into getting her CCW permit but she doesn't carry all the time. She said she doesn't feel comfortable taking it to her school as she doesn't have a place to lock up her purse.

Anyhow, whenever we go soemwhere we usually leave the German Shepard inside but when she goes with us she is the first one to enter the house followed by myself. I may be paranoid but better to be safe than sorry. Then once home the doors are always locked and I always have a gun on me...better to have and not need rather than need and not have.

I don't think my neighbors or anyone casing my neighborhood(apartment complex) would want to break in to my place. Being I'm in somewhat of a public position and am pretty recognizable is a plus for me, because everyone always sees me outside with my dogs with my glock on my hip, as well as seeing me go in and out (from shooting, to gunshops, etc.) with gun cases, AR-15, 870, ect. They must think I run a militia training ground inside or something :s0114:

Wow. Just wow. Tweakers for ya right? He probably was having a bad trip or something and thought that's what happened, when in reality he just watched a movie about something similar.

Yeah, wudda schlub!! OK then, NEW EXAMPLE.... the LaRog jewelers family in West Linn.... THAT'S WHY I CARRY AT HOME!! :D

Would you mind extrapolating on that example? I'd like to hear about it. Pardon me for not knowing about this earlier.

Also, regarding women. Many women around here are too busy with the opinions of their peers, which seems to be heavily influenced by fashion magazines and mass media news articles that include assumptions that firearms are "bad." They could care less to debate the topic. The fact is, you can't change the culture overnight, but you can find the ones that are smart enough to figure it out.

Has anybody ever known an Israeli woman? If you're single, you'd be doing yourself a favor. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top