JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My father in law is giving me a RCBS press and gear but I dont know the first thing about reloading cept for what I have been watching on youtube I know by that and this forum that the first thing I should buy is books....My question is which books?

what I plan to reload is 9mm, 5.56, .308, 45acp, .38special, .380, 7mm rem mag and 30.06

Last Edited:
Glad to see another one coming over to the its just a adictive hobby side. I have found the latest lyman book 49 Ed. is a very good book. As far as formulas go, I use tgat book as well as the info listed on powder manufactures sites. Hodgson and Alliant have there own data and is very usful.
Just remember to go slow and develop a rutine. Safty is always first. I started about two years ago. The info I got from the folks Here Has been a huge asset. I dont know if your gear has any case guages in it for the pistol shells. I have found them to be a great help. Your loaded round drops in. It alows you to check your finished round for corect coal. and the min and max head space.

You will get lots of good help here, Just be paitent and dont be afraid to ask. You might want to look into casting , at some point. I like to encourage everyone to cast , It can be a little addictive at times. Just thinking about it makes me want to go warm up the pot.

Take care , Mica

start with pistol ammo,it's much easier than rifle ammo is.Buy carbide dies...most but not all pistiol dies are carbdie,rifle are steel for the most part.
what other 'gear' was included in the gift.?

nice gift,btw !

Lyman's is my favorite of the 4 books that I keep on hand.

You all ready have a jump on casting to. If you think you will some day start. Just keep stockpiling all the lead you can. It will help alot when you get started. I mostly use range scrap( fired bullets) for alloy in my 9mm,40 SW , and 45 ACP Its around 11 Bn
Like throckmorton said pistol is way easier to start with. Carbide dies for pistol ammo is the best way to go. IMHO.

One of the best books out there for beginners is the "ABC"s of Reloading". May even be in your local library. Buy it, read it, believe it.

If you learn the basics they preach in that book you'll be well on your way. THEN consider any of he other books published more specifically for "Recipes".

Another phrase you want to learn is: "Always work UP a load. Start low (but not less than starting load published by powder manufacturer) and work up in modest increments. Quickest way to get in trouble is to take a "favorite recipe" from a book or online post. ALL firearms are unique and what may be perfectly OK in my rifle may be a dangerous load in yours.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions here. Someone will have an answer for you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top