JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just handling a gun is not really sufficient. You really need to be able to shoot a variety.

Brit, true enough. But just picking them up, feeling, hefting, pointing, holding, finding and working the controls, all help to eliminate the ones that just "won't work". Your mates took to the Glocks really well.... good on them. I can't even get my hand comfortably round them, so I never was interested in HOW well they work.

Sort of like shopping for a new motorcar to replace the weary ancient dog..... kick some tyres, sit in the seats, find the controls, look round to see how well you can see.... if it's not comfortable enough, no amount of performance, features, Connely hides on the front buckets, aluminium alloy roadwheels, will make the thing "work" for ME on long journeys, dodging through the roundabouts in town, nipping round the corner in monsoon rains...... a LOT of the "playing field" can be sorted out before ever putting one round in the chamber and asking it to say BANG.

I'd also have to agree a hundred percent with the idea of starting out with a small calibre, the .22 LR being a great option. A friend of mine has two daughters, 14 and 15, they've been out shooting together a few times. He's recently got a Ruger .22/45 (the angle of the grip suits him far better than the old design.. and I find the same thing, had considered getting one, but found a Browning Buckmark on offer too cheap to believe...) and he's used that to get them acquainted with it all. They both took to it like ducks to a pond..... then they wanted to fire his Springfield XD 40... and they both love it. He says they're dead on accurate, too. Excellent shooters, the pair of them. Its particularly fun because they're both VERY feminine and girly, but LOVE outside activities, and now shooting Daddy's pistols is high on their list....... he's now considering saving his sheckels to get a Ruger Super Redhawk in /44 Magnum...... any wagers on how those girls will take to that one? I know which square I'm putting MY bet on.....

that rental wall sounds like a day's worth of fun, smoke, and noise......

A lot of people get sold on the reputation of a particular gun. The last friend I took to the range seems to think that the XDM in .40 is the perfect gun for him.
That desire factor is hard to overcome. Despite not being able to group with the XDM at all, he still wants it because of it's reputation!

Oh and on the rental wall is a full auto Tommy Gun!

Yep.... a handgun is simply a thingamabob to do a job. Some folk get set on a red one, others a blue one, never mind HOW WELL it "does the job". One of the leading bits of folly endemic to our culture.

A friend of mine has been in the pro bicycle (push bike) business for thirty years or so, is one of the best fitment experts anywhere. A few years back I had him build me a custom steel frame road bike, designed perfectly to suit ME, my riding style, intended use, etc. I'd far rather have that "no name" bike that fits ME than ANY of the top of the line "name brand" "Ferrari class" bikes out there, some costing twice as much as mine. I've only ever met ONE GUY anywhere in the Northwest who had ever even heard of this guy..... but I don't care. I got it to do a job for me. If it ever gets pranged, I'll have him build me another identical to it... he's still got the pattern for the frame. Name brands don't impress me at all.... quality and suitability to desired purpose do. Call it anything you will... does it WORK? If so I want one. If not, thanks just the same but you can keep it for yourself.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top