JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey guys,

Im new here but want to know what you think. I have 350-400 to spend and would like a semi-auto handgun that is reliable and good looking. what do you think? what should I be looking at? I have fired the ruger p95's and I like them but I don't know if I should expand my horizon at all.

Thx

Well there are plenty of guns in that price range. Taurus has a few offerings, along with keltec, EAA, bersa/firestorm, ATI, and probably some others that I forgot.

It just depends on what caliber you're looking for, along with what purpose/roll it is intended for, along with other preferences such as metal or plastic frames, and trigger mechanism.

I would prefer polymer or stainless, and either 9mm or .40. No reason behind this other than its what I have shot in handguns and where I am its ammo that I can get a box of just about anywhere. What about longevity on the keltec and taurus? are they pretty durable?

Can't speak for keltec on durability, but I have owned numerous taurus's and they were all very durable. You will want to look at a taurus 24/7 pro in 9mm. That is a great handgun in the price range, they have them at keiths sporting goods (when in stock) for $339. You get alot of handgun for that, and the gun has a very good fit. If I were you I would stay away from ruger unless your hands are HUGE. They are durable guns, but after owning several of these I could never get decent accuracy from it. And they weigh alot. I think the taurus offers a much better fit and more options for the same price.

I'd get a used GLOCK 17 or 19 if I were you... you should be able to find one in your price range fairly easily if you look around.

9mm GLOCKs are about as proven as it gets when it comes to reliability, as opposed to some other handguns in the sub-$500 category.

Add to that the fact that mags, parts and accessories for GLOCKs are some of the most widely available.

No offense intended to anyone but I would buy a used GLOCK in 9mm before buying a new Taurus or Keltec or Bersa or whatever any day of the week.

ETA: GLOCK capitalized because that's the correct way, not because I'm a fanboy (which I kind of am but in sooth I prefer SIG)

hey guys,

Im new here but want to know what you think. I have 350-400 to spend and would like a semi-auto handgun that is reliable and good looking. what do you think? what should I be looking at? I have fired the ruger p95's and I like them but I don't know if I should expand my horizon at all.

Thx

welcome.

first off i would spend some time and maybe $$$ on proper firearm handling. until you do, i wouldnt get anything.

once youve learned how to properly handle a firearm, then i would go to the Place to shoot and rent some handguns there. Its will be expensive, but you will have a chance to try different guns in different platforms. there is also a place in Gresham that IIRC rents too.

If you go to the rental ranges, let them know you would like to try many different guns. they may waive the gun rental fee and just charge you for the ammo.

i would spend more time handling/trying then go and buy since once you walk out with that gun, its used and its yours.

theres an Expo gun show next week and you can also do alot of handling there too.

Last Edited:
I would avoid glocks if I were the OP. Their trigger is horrible, and they're huge. That combination makes it hard to enjoy shooting a handgun (this is gonna be his first handgun). The taurus has better ergonomics and has a better trigger IMO, making shooting more enjoyable and accuracy easier to attain. As far as durability, the taurus is very durable. And they have alifetime warranty.

After thinking about all the options available, I would say the best gun in your range to start shooting with would be a sig P6. You can find them for $350-ish if you look.

fromotoc and I would likely end up arguing back and forth on the relative merits of GLOCK and Taurus, we'll have to agree to disagree (not the best triggers, but not "horrible" by any means, IMO. Somewhat brick-like certainly, but huge?. In any case...

I will agree with him that a P6 would be a pretty good choice in that price range.

Try several different options before you buy if at all possible. Find what fits your hand well and shoots well for you.

ETA: +1 on the training thing if you have no formal training OP, but I don't want to assume...

Well, I do like taurus's. But I have a few glocks as well, so I am not anti-glock. A 33 round mag of 9mm is pretty fun, and I can't argue on the durability issue (although kabooms do happen..). I am a 1911 fan, though. Not a huge fan of any double action trigger. I was just arguing for the taurus as a FIRST handgun, as I believe it will make a better option, due to the better ergonomics, and the trigger just breaks in better (IMO). But a Sig P6 would be probably the best option in this price range. A Kahr 9 could probably be found in this price range, too.

And a glock trigger compared to a tuned 1911 trigger IS a horrible trigger....

I own a Taurus Millennium Pro PT145 like the one shown below. This particular Millennium has the same parts as the new 24/7 models. It has the 4 inch barrell and will make a good carry gun when I get my CC permit. It is accurate, lightweight, and a .45 which I prefer over a 9mm.

The reason I purchased the Taurus over a Glock is the angle and thickness of the stock. When I held a Glock in my hand, it was pointing up naturally in my hand when I aimed, and I had to stop to lower the barrell to get a proper aim. The Taurus fit my hand better and when I lift my hand to aim, I don't have to stop to lower the front end of the gun.

My suggestion is to at least pick up and aim many brands and find what fits your hand best, and which is easiest to aim properly for you.

Good Luck in your quest.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

I'd get a used GLOCK 17 or 19 if I were you... you should be able to find one in your price range fairly easily if you look around.

9mm GLOCK are about as proven as it gets when it comes to reliability, as opposed to some other handguns in the sub-$500 category.

Add to that the fact that mags, parts and accessories for GLOCK are some of the most widely available.

No offense intended to anyone but I would buy a used GLOCK in 9mm before buying a new Taurus or Keltec or Bersa or whatever any day of the week.

ETA: GLOCK capitalized because that's the correct way, not because I'm a fanboy (which I kind of am but in sooth I prefer SIG)

+1 on the Glock 19 for a first time buy.

As with any handgun/rifle/shotgun, you have to "try it on" and see if it fits. Not all firearms are suited for each person.

I had a Beretta that I recently sold and just didn't like the way it felt. Sigs feel much better to me. I also like the Glock.

:D

+1 on renting several types of guns out first. Or go shooting with friends who have different guns. They will feel different for each person. I am of the opinion that if you buy the right gun the first time, you won't sell it down the road. Even at 28 years old, I bought my first handgun this last January after months of researching which is best for me (and my large hands). I decided to save a little longer to get what I really wanted, which turned out to be a .45 Kimber Pro CDP. While this is not in your price range, my take home message is get what you want (for it's intended purpose) and you'll enjoy it more than something you've settled for.
Kimber_Pro_CDP_II_right_side_350.jpg

Go to a few gun shops, handle a few guns in your price range, do your research, buy the gun that fits you . . . and your reasons for buying the pistol.

Somebody will tell you to pass on the gun you desire because it is TOO HEAVY.
Are you considering carrying the gun concealed?

Somebody will tell you the gun is TOO LARGE.
Again, will the gun serve as a CW?

Somebody will tell you it is INACCURATE?
Will you be using the gun as a range piece? For home defense?

Somebody will tell you that the gun is not durable?
Again, for a range gun, or for a CW?

ETC!

Don't be concerned with making a big mistake in buying a gun! Each one is a learning experience and can be traded off for a better one if unsatisfactory. Most of us have accumulated many in evolving our favoritisms!

Avoid the cheapest "junk" guns from minor manufacturers. Used guns from major manufacturers are usually just fine. Some lesser known brands, like new Bersa, are spectacularly good for the money according to reports.

Pin down what the gun is for: a house-gun for family use, or a concealed carry, or a hunting companion? Very different choices of models.

Glocks are pretty fool-proof and bomb-proof and are usually excellent used guns. But that soft-short trigger has dangers of its own, like going off when holstering in a hurry!

Here are some indispensible links--but be careful! They can eat up lots of your free time!

Pistols Forum: http://e-gun.net/forumCategory.asp?catID=50

The Best Nines: www.best9mm.com

GunBlast: www.gunblast.com

MadOgre: www.madogre.com/weapons_section.htm

And, don't neglect a good used revolver!....................elsullo :s0155:

I would suggest getting something used........perhaps one of the older Smith and Wesson autos, if price is an important consideration.

Good pistols will last and give good service for quite some time, like good cars. New pistols, like new cars, naturally cost substantially more simply because they are new. And a new gun is worth substantially less the first time you fire it.

Try out guns belonging to friends or to a rental facility for starters. That should give you a general idea of what appeals to you. Since you already have some ideas on what looks good to you, why not start there, but, at the same time, try to stay open-minded and try out firearms that might appeal to you on a basis other than appearance. The important thing is to actually shoot as many different guns as you can and go beyond just looking at and handling guns before you make your decision to buy.

You can buy and sell and buy and sell quality used guns with really very little in the way of financial loss. Once you have owned a pattern or model and have shot it enough to know you really like it, then you can upgrade to something newer and nicer.

Most of the good stuff has been said.... what's the piece FOR, does it FIT.... the two biggest quesions. I tried the Glocks, on recommendations of several friends (some of whom are cops and love them). BUT-- my hands are smaller than theirs, for certain, and I found the Glocks uncomfortable. I did like the S&W (I found a screaming deal on a Shorty Forty), and the SPringfield XD series (bought an XD9..light, handy, fits my hand well... new, on sale at Cabelas, and I'll bet I could sell it for what I paid for it this week....). The one I did not run across in any stores or shows, and have fallen in love with, is the olcer Browing Hi Power in 9mm.. a bit more dear, but what I have found used, and bought right, will always be worth what I paid for it.... even after a few thousand rounds. I've seen them as low as $500 with fixed sights, a little rough cosmetically but still very usable. I handled a lot of Sigs and H&K (both a bit more dear, even used) found them acceptable... handled some cheapies, too, and decided to leave them for someone else.

Bottom line, as has been mentioned, at least handle a LOT of pistols... find out what FITS your hand. Decide whether a lightweight (the Springfield XD9 and 40 are very light, yet solid) or a tank is better (heavier generally means less felt recoil, could be an issue). ANY quality well respected handgun if bought used at a reasonable price (better yet. a screaming deal, which are still findable) will hold its value. I believe most of what I've bought used will bring a profit should I ever get round to selling them (not my intention, but it makes me feel a bit more at east having invested money in them.... ) Not too many "investments" these days that even hint at bringing an increase when turned... particulary something you can use and enjoy in the mean time. Sheesh, just think of all the poor buggers dumped their futures into the stock market or securities funds..... three fourths of it gone in a year. Buy used quality firearms... about as inflationproof as anything.

thanks guys this is helpful, your giving me many things to look for. The gun could serve multiple rolls. Some occasions when im on my motorcycle or when im going on trips it will be a CW, it will also serve as home defense, and a gun to go shoot targets out in the woods.

I have started shooting several of friends and families pistols trying to find one that will not only work for me but will also be something that in case of an emergency my fiance can pick up and know how to handle.

Primary purpose is going to be a CW (either under my jacket or seat of the car) and home defense.

+1 for a mid frame glock. I wear a G-23 most of the time till it gets to much to carry. Then I wear my Kel-tec pf9. It's always good to have a mini too. Like a kel-tec 32 or 380 or the like. Wish I still had mine.

Just handling a gun is not really sufficient. You really need to be able to shoot a variety. We have the luxury of 60 handguns on the rental wall at the Baron's Den in Eugene.

For a new shooter, it's a great resource. I've taken several friends there to start them out. Initially with my Ruger Mark III as it's super accurate and they can get used to some basic principles before adding in the flinch factor of a 9mm or larger caliber handgun.

My last two friends went through a similar process - trying everything there was to offer in 9mm, before coming to the same conclusion.
Both of them could shoot a lot better with a Glock 19 compared to any other handgun they tried - the difference was remarkable. 4" 5 round groups with the G19 vs. 9-12" groups with most of the others and almost 18" group with the S&W M&P.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top