Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

New York State Police are Confiscation Guns

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by netcarrier, Apr 10, 2013.

1. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

2. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

People are going to stop getting the medication they need just to keep from having their rights stomped on.

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Interesting how this works and how we on the outside look at it. I have seen repeated calls for stronger mental health control. As well as a number of comments here about how various of the recent mass murderers were on these kinds of drugs. Granted lack of due process is wrong, But which comes first the chicken or the egg. Do you first remove the weapons and then return them if no cause is found. Or do you first notify a person who might be a threat that their rights and weapons maybe removed while the weapons are still under thier control.

Sticky Wicket if you ask me,

4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

So, how are they getting hold of confidential records?
    Your medical records are protected by federal law as well as privacy laws now on the books.

5. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

What? You mean, someone would break a Federal law just to take guns away from people lawfully being treated? No, that would never happen...

6. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

Just remember: They are NOT trying to take away all of the guns! This is not a zero sum game! :bsflag:

The thing that kills me is that even faced with this information the lefties will continue to call us paranoid and silly for thinking they would try to take the guns.

rocky3 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. misplacedtexan

misplacedtexan Beaverton, OR Active Member

Aren't docs supposed to report people who are going to hurt themselves or others?

Maybe they are getting by on this?

I think the shot heard around the world might just happen in New York....

8. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

In California they not only take away your firearm for this but your spouse and anyone else who has a firearm you have access to including family members you visit.

9. Frankenrifle

Frankenrifle Clatskanie Active Member

Please cite references of this?

10. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

California Seizes Guns as Owners Lose Right to Keep Arms - Bloomberg

From the article:

They had better luck in nearby Upland, where they seized three guns from the home of Lynette Phillips, 48, who’d been hospitalized for mental illness, and her husband, David. One gun was registered to her, two to him.

“The prohibited person can’t have access to a firearm,” regardless of who the registered owner is, said Michelle Gregory, a spokeswoman for the attorney general’s office.

Have you been living under a rock?

11. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

The guy in New York was identified "in error" by the New York State police. They issued an apology and he has a court date next tuesday to get his permit reinstated and his guns back. What blows me away is how the New York Government made his medical history public record. I would be filing so many lawsuits against the state. Malicious Prosecution, Violations of HIPPA,

12. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

Two words: Due process.

13. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

Why does he even need a court date. The cops screwed up and admitted it, give him his stuff back now!!!!! What is up with that bull crap?

rocky3, Redcap, Norm0931 and 3 others like this.
  14. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

Father, of course the STATE gets due process. He'll probably have to pay court fees and a fee for the paperwork to reinstate too.

15. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

That would figure. Legal not justice system.

16. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Being NY, he probably gets the joy of applying for his permits all over again, instead of just getting them back....

17. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

HIPAA law just may be null and void if the reporting requirements of obamacare can trump it.
    Whats got me in a cold sweat is if Tequila can be considered an anxiety medication.

18. redhippie

redhippie People's republic of PDX Active Member

So, I was at the local gun store and they were selling a police auction gun. Cabella's is selling police trade in's. I would be curious to see what is happening to all these confiscated firearms. Are these progressive states destroying their old and confiscated firearms, or are they a revenue stream.

Remember that this is being done by the same folks who raily against smoking/drinking and then tax the crap out of them.

19. Frankenrifle

Frankenrifle Clatskanie Active Member

Hey, nice to meet you too! Why don't you take your attitude and shove it at some politicians, eh?

20. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

The guy is suing the state of NY, and the law firm running the suit seems to believe that it could have very serious penalties for the state, since they violated numerous federal laws by releasing his medical information.

The law firm even believes, based on known evidence, that the man may have been targeted intentionally, and that the "mistake" made by NY state was only admitted because they were caught.

Man who had guns taken away speaks out | WIVB.com

Quote from the law firm:

Norm0931 and (deleted member) like this.