JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I mentioned that Surplus 7.62x39 ammo may be getting more expensive in the forums but couldn't find the article to back it up at the time.. but here it is.
gunsmagazine 08/08

Based on the 20-year rotation schedule for military ammunition in the former Soviet bloc countries we may be on the verge of a new wave of inexpensive surplus ammunition arrive on our shores plus some new mil-surplus models to shoot them in. This time it won't be the 7.62x39 or the 7.62x54. It will be the 5.45x39 also known as the 5.45.. Soviet or 5.45mm Kalashnikov.

Then it goes on to say that this ammo is used in some new AK-74 variants...

The cooling trend in US/Russian relations may curtail any ammunition from russia here shortly. This of course may not apply to other former Soviet satellite countries that have adopted the caliber however.

The cooling trend in US/Russian relations may curtail any ammunition from russia here shortly. This of course may not apply to other former Soviet satellite countries that have adopted the caliber however.

I agree - I wonder when the s will hit the fan re: weapons/ammo importation from Russia (and their affiliated protectorates)? Things seem mighty chilly lately, so I can't imagine it will be business as usual. Wouldn't be surprised if that next big order of Saigas (or whatever) gets "held up at the border".

If you fantasize about getting a 74, buy as much 5.45 as you can now before the price shoots up. More guns to shoot it in means more shooters buying ammo. Demand up/price up. If it turns out you never get a rifle you can always sell it for more than you paid for it later. Ammo rarely goes down in price, and the last time I looked at it 5.45 was less than $150/K.

Doubt that would effect things, the Russians need money and if they have obsolete items, they will only be too glad to send them to us for a price. On the military channel there was a rather interesting show which indicated during WW2 there were talks going on between Germany and the Allies about selling rubber to Germany (for tires) and in exchange for military munitions so that both sides could more effectively kill more of it's enemies, but I think even then, they thought it inappropriate so they didn't go through with it!

Maybe the up-side to all of this is that expensive ammo will make people work on their marksmanship & use the ammo they do have more wisely.

I don't expect 7.62 to disappear completely. There's too much demand in the US now; a domestic producer will start making it. Not going to be as cheap, but available.