JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, first post here.

I moved to Washington in the middle of June, but just got my new license last week. I heard rumors of needing to be a resident for 90 days before being able to purchase a handgun. Is this true? Am I considered to have been a resident for 90 days, or just a week? Any other restrictions keeping me from purchasing a gun?

Also, since I am interested in buying a used handgun, how does the background check process work? Does the ffl have to keep the handgun for the 10 day waiting period? Anything else I should know about the process?

Thanks for all the help!

There is no requirement that you live here 90 days before purchasing a gun. If you have lived here less than 90 days then local law enforcement has the option to delay your background check longer than they can with a longer term resident. I encountered a lot of FUD at gun shops when I moved here.

If you Google "become a Washington resident" an Access Washington website posted by the state will give you information about proving you are a resident. Physical presence with the intent to remain indefinitely is often shown by buying a house or renting an apartment, registering to vote, working in WA, registering a car and obtaining a WA driver's license, etc.

If you Google "become a Washington resident" an Access Washington website posted by the state will give you information about proving you are a resident. Physical presence with the intent to remain indefinitely is often shown by buying a house or renting an apartment, registering to vote, working in WA, registering a car and obtaining a WA driver's license, etc.

Having that ENTIRE list you mentioned within 90 days made ZERO difference when i was buying a fishing license. I also had a child BORN in washington at the time.

Hello all, first post here.

I moved to Washington in the middle of June, but just got my new license last week. I heard rumors of needing to be a resident for 90 days before being able to purchase a handgun. Is this true? Am I considered to have been a resident for 90 days, or just a week? Any other restrictions keeping me from purchasing a gun?

Also, since I am interested in buying a used handgun, how does the background check process work? Does the ffl have to keep the handgun for the 10 day waiting period? Anything else I should know about the process?

Thanks for all the help!
First welcome. A good shop to try is Mary's Pistols
Marys Pistols sells HANDGUNS, Rifles and Ammo in Tacoma Washington at the best prices.
Stop in and ask and see what they say. I take it by now you work here? Have been paying rent or own a home? Have utilities in your name here? All of this should say you live here now.
As for handguns, yes, it is going to be a minimum 10 Business day wait now. Does not matter if the handgun is new or used. Since your CLEO is going to either by the City Chief of Police or Sheriff, depending on where you live, it may well take longer than the 10 days. Some shops will let you have the gun if they do not hear a no by then. Others will not let the gun go till they get the proceed no matter how long it takes. Best to ask before putting money down and finding out the hard way. If you want a WA carry permit may as well get downtown and apply for your WA CPL now. If you want to carry or just have the permit that should be first stop. If they say you are now a resident then the gun shop should be fine with you.
Nice place to shoot on the cheap in down by the Dome, Bulls Eye. Place is like me now, old and rough around the edges :D, but it as far as I know the cheapest place around to shoot indoors and is run by great people. Have some rentals there if you want to try guns before buying.

Marys Pistols sells HANDGUNS, Rifles and Ammo in Tacoma Washington at the best prices.
Stop in and ask and see what they say. I take it by now you work here? Have been paying rent or own a home? Have utilities in your name here? All of this should say you live here now.
As for handguns, yes, it is going to be a minimum 10 Business day wait now. Does not matter if the handgun is new or used. Since your CLEO is going to either by the City Chief of Police or Sheriff, depending on where you live, it may well take longer than the 10 days. Some shops will let you have the gun if they do not hear a no by then. Others will not let the gun go till they get the proceed no matter how long it takes. Best to ask before putting money down and finding out the hard way. If you want a WA carry permit may as well get downtown and apply for your WA CPL now. If you want to carry or just have the permit that should be first stop. If they say you are now a resident then the gun shop should be fine with you.
Nice place to shoot on the cheap in down by the Dome, Bulls Eye. Place is like me now, old and rough around the edges :D, but it as far as I know the cheapest place around to shoot indoors and is run by great people. Have some rentals there if you want to try guns before buying.
There is no 10 day waiting period for handguns. The wait is for the local law enforcement to conduct the background check. In some counties it can be as soon as 3 or 4 days and some some take a month. The ffl should transfer the handgun after 10 business days if they haven't heard from law enforcement but many refuse to and the big box stores mostly won't.

Last Edited:

I originally moved to Covington in June, but didn't get my license until recently as I knew I would move to Tacoma relatively soon. I have been working here the entire time, and have pay stubs to prove it. However I do not have any utilities in my name. I have been thinking about getting a cpl also.

I originally moved to Covington in June, but didn't get my license until recently as I knew I would move to Tacoma relatively soon. I have been working here the entire time, and have pay stubs to prove it. However I do not have any utilities in my name. I have been thinking about getting a cpl also.
If you want a CPL that would be a good place to start. They of course when running you will see where you have been. I had not looked in a hell of a long time so took a quick look at the WA site looking for what it said about being a resident. found this:
Establish residency in WA

You're considered a WA resident when you do any of the following:

• Register to vote
  • Receive state benefits
  • Receive in-state tuition fees
  • Get a WA state license at resident rates (Fishing license, hunting license, etc.)
So looks like they are saying that if you got a WA Drivers License you are now a resident. After that should be good to go :)

There is no 10 day waiting period for handguns. The wait is for the local law enforcement to conduct the background check. In some counties it can be as soon as 3 or 4 days and some some take a month. The ffl should transfer the handgun after 10 business days in they haven't heard from law enforcement but manny refuse to and the big box stores mostly won't.
Your right I had forgotten a few have said they got the proceed in a matter of a couple days after the feds told the state no more free ride. So many are running into longer waits I completely forgot a few have said they got the proceed sooner when this first started. :).
Sadly from what I am seeing here and what I have run into is 10 days is the best you can hope for now. My last one they let me have the gun after the 10 but had still not heard from my CLEO. Who knows how long it took them to finally get the proceed. :(

Register to vote as soon as possible. Election day is Nov. 5. Best way to prove residency, IMO. Mail in or online registration closes 10/28. You can register in person up to election day. Unless you don't vote 2A, in which case...please just don't vote...:s0157:. Tacoma is considering a gun and ammo tax RIGHT NOW. Oh yeah, welcome aboard and welcome to WA.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top