JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
got my first CPL in the mail a few weeks ago and looking for advice.
just now getting over the fear that sheeple may see it and freak out.

what thing's did you learn first hand about carrying?

when did you get used to it?

it still feels a bit odd (physiologically) but I feel naked without it.
It's become kind of a security blanket.

1. Get some good training. Seattle Firearms Academy is in your neck of the woods and has a top-notch reputation.

2. A gun is not a magic talisman that will protect you from harm. It may or may NOT allow you to defend yourself. Don't think you're bullet-proof or un-suprisable because you have a carry piece on your waist. -If you wouldn't go there unarmed without a good reason, don't go there armed without a good reason.

3. If you don't practice regularly, you will not be able to effectively employ your CC weapon in an actual crisis.

4. You have lost the right to exercise fits of temper, road rage or other confrontational behaviors. Because you carry a deadly weapon on your hip you need to learn and practice avoidance and de-escalation ALWAYS when possible. -Confrontational, very angry people with CCWs wind up in jail.

5. Relax. No, no one notices that you're carrying as much as you do. reasonable precautions are all that's needed. And if you get "made" it's not the end of the world. You aren't breaking any laws and LE in WA is used to dealing with people with CPLs.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Congrats on the CPL.

-Bill

Open carry is legal in WA, so if your piece happens to be seen it's no big deal if you aren't waving it around. I carry OWB @ 3 0'clock with an unbuttoned shirt covering it and 2 mags @ 10 o'clock with no problems.

+1 regarding FAS, from experience. It is first class instruction.

1. Get some good training. Seattle Firearms Academy is in your neck of the woods and has a top-notch reputation.

2. A gun is not a magic talisman that will protect you from harm. It may or may NOT allow you to defend yourself. Don't think you're bullet-proof or un-suprisable because you have a carry piece on your waist. -If you wouldn't go there unarmed without a good reason, don't go there armed without a good reason.

3. If you don't practice regularly, you will not be able to effectively employ your CC weapon in an actual crisis.

4. You have lost the right to exercise fits of temper, road rage or other confrontational behaviors. Because you carry a deadly weapon on your hip you need to learn and practice avoidance and de-escalation ALWAYS when possible. -Confrontational, very angry people with CCWs wind up in jail.

5. Relax. No, no one notices that you're carrying as much as you do. reasonable precautions are all that's needed. And if you get "made" it's not the end of the world. You aren't breaking any laws and LE in WA is used to dealing with people with CPLs.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Congrats on the CPL.

-Bill
good advice for any one indeed.
1. already have military training on my carry choice. why I chose it despite it's short comings. still drill at the range every week. can never be too familiar with your pistol
2. rats! and I was planing to go check out some Seattle ghettos tonight : (
3. I practice a lot. still a bit sloppy but coming along.
4. I'm a very non-confrontational person. but I know people who would likely end up in prison the day they get a CPL
5. relax. yeah messing up that can be bad. as looking really nervous is only going to make your more noticeable and more likely to freak the sheeple out. good thing my poker face is good but this is where I need the most work.

Congrats on your permit. It is truly only the beginning. It’s natural at first to be a little uneasy about carrying, but that will go away in due time. Here are my 2 cents worth:

Try not to act like you are breaking the law, you’re not. Be yourself. I carry whenever I’m not at home and its legal to do so, I’ve never been made and I go to alot of very crowded places. People just don’t notice.
You are not a cop so don’t ever try to act or be like one, go the extra mile to avoid confrontation. Don’t broadcast to others you have a firearm, ever!
Without any training or regular practice you are now more dangerous then before you got your permit. Dedicate time and resources to training and practice. (sounds like you have this covered from your post above, nice!)
Play by the rules, if you are going to consume alcohol your weapon should not be available to you. This is a no brainer.
Your permit gives you the right to carry your weapon concealed to rightfully protect yourself, your family and even others should the need arise. It doesn’t make you Superman!
Drawing your weapon is a last line of defense, don’t ever make it your first.

This board is full of nightmare stories about people (sometimes permit holders) pulling their weapon to scare or intimidate someone. The outcome of those stories usually have the same ending. Loss of permit, criminal and sometimes civil charges. You have just gotten a permit to accept a huge responsibility and accept liability, treat it as such and you will be fine as most of us are. Welcome to the club my friend! - G

I OC, and have a CPL only for when I accidently conceal. (and so I don't have to unload when in a vehicle) Keep your cool, and do not breach leather unless you intend to use it. Use a level II or level III retention holster and be able to get your weapon out without thinking (practice).

Most important, don't make any more of carrying then having a wallet in you pocket and no-one will even notice. (except the BGs, they do not like armed targets and will leave you alone) I've carried over 40 years and have received two comments from LEOs (one was if I was going to join their gun club) both good, and one defused road rage, and the pistol never left the holster. When the RR saw the holster, he decide he had better things to do and left

+1 you just took on a big new responsibility. You are no longer allowed to display an attitude or a temper. You now have to walk away from insults and other things you might have confronted in the past. You can't display or "brandish" the gun to look tough to some hoodlums unless you're simply open carrying. (I have my personal belief that there are rare occasions when it's a good idea to open carry.)

The gun gives you no authority, just responsibility. You hope like heck you never need it because if you do you're in for a lot of questioning and maybe the cost of a lawyer and maybe a lawsuit.

However, you'll never be one of those people who are having a cup in McDonalds when some guy comes in shooting the place up and you can't defend yourself or your loved ones or others around you. Actually killing someone would be a horrible thing, so be sure you're willing to do it if the time ever comes, or leave the gun home.

Congrats on the permit. I wish every good citizen carried; it would be a much safer world.

I carried in Commiefornia without a permit (no way to get one and no way to relocate back then and serious crime all around me) so I learned fast how to not look armed

1) The way you dress is important if you want to go low profile (being here in WA with a CPL I don't really care about that any more)

2) Learn not to touch your gun all the time and part of that is using a secure, high quality holster. This is a dead giveaway that cops and bad guys will look for

3) With an EMPTY gun (at home) practice drawing and presenting from your CCW position and with your street attire on, and with both hands.. you never know what will happen in a fight, you could be shot or cut badly on your strong side arm and have to draw with your other hand alone

4) Keep in mind that about 1 in 18 WA adults have a CPL.. you are not alone so be careful how you respond to an altercation that you are not directly involved in, it may be a legally armed citizen defending their persons or those under their protection

5) I HIGHLY recommend that (along with firearms self defense classes) you get real world hand to hand self defense training for lesser threats. I teach JKD so naturally I would recommend that, but it's not the only way to win a fight. When all you have is a hammer (gun) everything looks like a nail..

I OC, and have a CPL only for when I accidently conceal. (and so I don't have to unload when in a vehicle) Keep your cool, and do not breach leather unless you intend to use it. Use a level II or level III retention holster and be able to get your weapon out without thinking (practice).

Most important, don't make any more of carrying then having a wallet in you pocket and no-one will even notice. (except the BGs, they do not like armed targets and will leave you alone) I've carried over 40 years and have received two comments from LEOs (one was if I was going to join their gun club) both good, and one defused road rage, and the pistol never left the holster. When the RR saw the holster, he decide he had better things to do and left

Funny how that works.. I've had to draw 6 times in my life and thankfully all I got was the Wile Coyote over the Grand Canyon look and they backed down fast. 3 of those times were against mass attack and one of those was facing off on a back HWY against illegal alien serial killers who were thankfully caught 2 weeks later by the CA HWY Patrol

All great advice so far. Two quick thoughts to add: Get a good, quality belt and holster from an outfit that specializes in same. Also, if your family gatherings involve unavoidable hugging, I reach low/near their waist, which causes them naturally to reach high/near my shoulders, which helps prevent them from knowing that I am carrying (see post #6, 'Don't broadcast to others' that you are carrying).
Congrats on your CPL

There is some very good info in this thread. One thing I would like to ad is don't ever announce or let your gun be seen by anyone. If you do happen to have a confrontation and the other person see or knows you have a gun all it takes is a call to the police that "he has a gun and threatened me". Weather its true or not. Police hear this over their radio and your already judged.

I personally, have the mindset of my gun is my last option. I will use my fists before I use my gun.

Also, and alot of people won't like hearing this, but I will not defend someone else unless I am 100% sure that person is going to die. My first priority is my family and me. I don't need to go broke from being sued, imprisoned, or harassed for protecting someone else.

its just another day as usual. as you will notice almost nobody checks peoples waist lines. 15 years yesterday for me and no one has ever seen my gun. If all is to much just become short/fat and wear it open carry. nobody bothers a little chubby guy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top