JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I own 3 pre-lock S&W revolvers. The build quality is solid. My J frame model 640 in a pocket holster is still my favorite revolver to carry when being super discreet. I've attended SHOT shows over 15 years now and have seen the pre-lock revolvers to the current products. Build quality and design is still decent/good. I'm not a fan of the new metals and super light pocket revolvers, I dread the felt recoil, but that's a choice for the "gunsumer". My preference is for the older models, the pre-lock models(IMHO, sightly better craftsmanship and overall build quality).

I dont think S&W offers a blued gun any more. To me a nicely blued gun with wood furniture is beautiful and I miss that.
They still produce blued guns, but it's a different, more environmentally friendly process. To my eye it's more black and is more sensitive to certain cleaning solvents. Here's me 25-13 MG in .45 Colt

7A2C69CB-C89F-45AF-9389-6910F575E5DC.jpeg

I've heard that the newer Model 29s will hold up to a steady diet of full-magnum loads longer without shooting loose, than the older ones. Anyone know if that's true?

Smith & Wesson introduced what they called an "Endurance Package" to help the guns stand up to the heavy use of full-house magnum loads. This consisted of a new yoke retention system / radius stud package / floating hand (ca 1987). In 1990 the cylinder stop notches were made longer. On Model 29's all those from dash 4 (inclusive) onward included the Endurance Package. Some late 29-3's also were so equipped but these were marked 29-3E. Likewise for the 629's starting with the 629-3 (inclusive) onward, with some late 629-2's also getting the package and designated as 629-2E.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

PS: And no, it cannot be retro-fit

I have several stainless S&W revolvers and think that the Performance Center one have comparable triggers to the older no lock factory guns. The others seem to have very heavy double action pulls, doesn't bother me at all as I shoot single action out of them. They are tools to me and as long as they are reliable and accurate they stay in the stable, life is too short to care what those will say when they inherit your old junk, LOL.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top