JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there a good reason to buy a 20 or 30 year old model 57 or 29, in very good shape, rather than buying a new model of comparable price? Do they not make them like the used to back in the '80s? I haven't kept up with them since then but I'm interested again. Thanks in advance.

Do they not make them like the used to back in the '80s?
Not at all!
My pair from the 70's.
HOWEVER - I have handled and and shot some later, pre Hillary hole models that are every bit as nice....
S&W.jpg

Is there a good reason to buy a 20 or 30 year old model 57 or 29, in very good shape, rather than buying a new model of comparable price? Do they not make them like the used to back in the '80s? I haven't kept up with them since then but I'm interested again. Thanks in advance.

I prefer the older one myself especially the 57 I have several different calibers. :):):)

Stacy

Why would anyone want a locking device on a revolver? Fit and finish of old is far better than new.
I had an older ford truck as a kid, had metal door panels. the new ones, they have plastic door panels. Which ones hold up to use, abuse, test of time....ect.?

DSC06782.jpg
Picture of the very rare Smith and Wesson model One Wheellock...
Just kidding... Its a antique Italian lock...so it must be a Beretta....:D
But since you asked...and I am the guy who owns and shoots the above pistol...

The older Smith and Wesson revolvers.
Far better attention to fit , finish and detail in the older models.
And no worthless "safety" lock .
Andy

Why would anyone want a locking device on a revolver?
I doubt anyone wants a locking device - they just have to accept it if it happens to be on a gun they want.

Kind of the the crossbolt on a lever action.

A while back I found a JM Marlin .357 I was interested in but it had the CB.

In this case because it was a JM and not a Remlin I could have 'lived' with it - but not like it!

There are a handful of nuances between older & newer S&W revolvers. Some of them are touted to be important, while other users aren't really interested in such trivia. The claim of superior qualities begs for comparison to personal preferences in such as what one considers important in choices. What makes a great steak or proper whiskey or satisfactory cup of coffee, are in the same category as to what is vs what isn't acceptable. IMHO.

I've never experienced any of the functional failures often predicted regarding the locking device. In some pre-lock models there does seem to be an aura of fullness and beauty of design & function often missing on newer models. Whether that is an illusion of perception or reality of measurable physicality remains an arguable concept.

My own thought is anything made from the late 70's to the late 80's would be the low point in manufacturing history!
That was when we really learned to automate manufacturing but had not perfected the quality control. Nothing was hand fitted anymore. And handguns were no exception. DR

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top