JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wonder if I should be considering a semi-auto instead of a pump shotgun as a matter of recoil reduction. ??? I'm apprehensive about recoil, having never fired a shotgun. Shot Winchester Model 94 30-30 as a kid and didnt mind recoil. Tried one again decades later, and found the recoil too unpleasant. I dont mind recoil of my .44 mags, but mine are heavy, not light guns, and they just move my arms, not punch me in the shoulder. Only occurred to me later, though, that as a kid, I was wearing a heavy padded shooting jacket when firing the Model 94,, but as an adult, ordinary outdoor clothes. And the gun had no recoil pad. However, I suspect it behooves me to do all I can to mitigate recoil. The suggestion of a Limbsaver recoil pad was really useful.

Do you get a serious reduction in recoil from a semi-auto vs a pump shotgun?

And apparently some here prefer 20 gauge shotguns. Is that because of recoil? Is it just a little harder to hit with a 20 gauge as a 12 gauge, or a lot harder?

20 is IMO under rated by some. They are really good for lots of things, and they do have noticeably less recoil. As far as semi vs pump, I've "read" that they have less but to me they feel the same.

I know one thing, I love my old (made in '79) left handed 870 wingmaster. I've won a lot of money with that gun. Enough to pay for it 100 times over.. It's one I'll never get rid of...!!!! Do they even make a new left hand wingmaster?

I wonder if I should be considering a semi-auto instead of a pump shotgun as a matter of recoil reduction. ??? I'm apprehensive about recoil, having never fired a shotgun. Shot Winchester Model 94 30-30 as a kid and didnt mind recoil. Tried one again decades later, and found the recoil too unpleasant. And shotguns are notorious fir veating up shooters, and 30-30s arent. I dont mind recoil of my .44 mags, but mine are heavy, not light guns, and they just move my arms, not punch me in the shoulder. Only occurred to me later, though, that as a kid, I was wearing a heavy padded shooting jacket when firing the Model 94, but as an adult, ordinary outdoor clothes. And the gun had no recoil pad. However, I suspect it behooves me to do all I can to mitigate recoil. The suggestion of a Limbsaver recoil pad was really useful.

Do you get a serious reduction in recoil from a semi-auto vs a pump shotgun?

And apparently some here prefer 20 gauge shotguns. Is that because of recoil? Is it just a little harder to hit with a 20 gauge as a 12 gauge, or a lot harder?

Simi auto helps with the recoil.

20 gauge helps with recoil.

Low recoil shells help as well.

No much harder to hit with a 20

Simi auto helps with the recoil.

20 gauge helps with recoil.

Low recoil shells help as well.

No much harder to hit with a 20

Great points Joe. I should read through this whole thread, but will add 20's are great, but if you are going to compete for money, the 12 is where it's at. When doing money shoots, I never saw anyone using a 20 gauge. Just too much at stake. I'm assuming you already knew that though.. One thing I'll add is when using a pump gun, it's going to recoil noticeably more than a semi auto. If you want to reduce recoil, a 7/8 oz. load is the best way to go about doing that. I've shot a dumptruck load of 7/8 oz loads in doubles where the 7/8 oz load is the first shot, generally backing it up with a fast 1 oz or medium 1 1/8 oz. load.... However, a pump gun is not the best choice for shooting doubles trap. It can be done, but not the best choice. I'd average 48 out of 50 with my lefty, but that's not good enough to win anything... Having ran 100's of thousands of shells through a pump gun, even I would short stroke the sob on occasion, getting in a hurry. To be able to recover from that and dust a falling bird out there a long way on doubles is something to see....:cool:

Last Edited:
I spent some time down at the NRA Whittington Center, Raton NM and with the New(read this as Young) Shooters they use Remington 1100s and 11-87s, because of the reduction of recoil!!! This is the Adventure Camp and Shooters are 13-18 years old. After they have completed the Course they may or may not do any more shooting. If course, one of those young folks went on to become the President of the Purdue University Trap and Skeet Team for a couple of years. Makes me think the Adventure Camp is doing something right!

If you have never had the change to visit the NRA Whittington Center then you are missing something truly amazing.

I really like my 1962 Wingmaster in 20 gauge...
It has a fixed modified choke and a 28 inch barrel...it shoots and handles very nicely.
Recoil isn't bad at all....

I also have two Wingmasters in 12 gauge ...recoil with them also isn't bad ...but then I just shot 2 3/4 shells not 3 inch...

As for harder to hit...
Choke matters...
The "fit " of the gun matters...

Choke controls just how fast the shot will spread when leaving the barrel
( to put it simply )
IF the gun does not fit you , you will have a hard time hitting and recoil will be felt more.
Andy
Edit to add :
I prefer older 870's...
1980's and earlier...To me , the overall quality of the new 870's and especially the Express model , just ain't there.

Great points Andy. If we are talking recoil reduction on a 12 gauge wingmaster, there are custom things you can do to the barrel as well. Lengthen the forcing cone, port and backbore. These things help to reduce the recoil and also help produce better more consistent patterns.. You can also add recoil reducers like inertia recoil reducers that are filled with mercury, they also make spring kits that go in between the recoil pad and the stock to help with shock... As you also said, fit is everything. If it fits you well, then you can work on form and practice keeping you cheek on the gun and follow through when you are swinging on a target.

I really like my 1962 Wingmaster in 20 gauge...
It has a fixed modified choke and a 28 inch barrel...it shoots and handles very nicely.
Recoil isn't bad at all....

I also have two Wingmasters in 12 gauge ...recoil with them also isn't bad ...but then I just shot 2 3/4 shells not 3 inches...

As for harder to hit...
Choke matters...
The "fit " of the gun matters...

Choke controls just how fast the shot will spread when leaving the barrel
( to put it simply )
IF the gun does not fit you , you will have a hard time hitting and recoil will be felt more.
Andy
Edit to add :
I prefer older 870's...
1980's and earlier...To me , the overall quality of the new 870's and especially the Express model , just ain't there.

There's 870's, and then there's Wingmasters. :)

Form...shooting the same way every time is key for sure in shotgun shooting...well that and follow through ....which a lot folks forget when shooting a shorter barreled shotgun like a 18-20 inch barrel....

I forgot 'bout forcing cones and recoil....good catch.

Also one does not need the load with the biggest payload to get the job done...
More payload can mean more recoil
Andy

There's 870's, and then there's Wingmasters. :)
That is very true...Here is a Wingmaster...
1962 , 20 gauge with a 28 inch barrel....this was / is my first gun ....My granddad gave it to 'round age 8 or so...
It has kept fed and won many a shooting match....
Andy
DSC06606.jpg
Edit to add :
Sure wish the OP was closer...I'd have her try all three of my Wingmasters...

One of the points going for a "Gas Gun" is that some of the Gas actually works to eject the spent shell. I also have to agree with those folks who are talking about the Quality of the Older guns. It just doesn't seem to be present in the Newer Remington Arms. Pretty much goes for the Older Marlins but then Hospital do seem to be improving. I'd simply not just jump on the 1st 870/1100/11-87 that you run into. A few years back Remington was importing some VERY Nice SxS 12ga. Guns from Russia. I bought one for resale & it's simply become my Go-To House Gun. I used it for a number of different things. It has the Rem-Choke Tubes and I have the Rifled Slugs Tubes in Both. These Tubes seem to help open up the pattern of the #4 Buckshot that had been my choice for many years plus they also allow me to hit an 8" Paper Plate out to 200 meters so a Deer, Elk or whatever, doesn't have a chance! That's the way it should be!!!

BEST of Luck in your Search.

I can tell you that felt recoil with a semi-auto, with gun weights and loads being equal, is noticeably less than a pump. But, there aren't any semi-autos that are as prolific as the 870 or Mossberg 500. Extra barrels and other accessories are much easier to come by.

That said, the Mossberg 930 can be had in a field model for around $500.

I can tell you that felt recoil with a semi-auto, with gun weights and loads being equal, is noticeably less than a pump. But, there aren't any semi-autos that are as prolific as the 870 or Mossberg 500. Extra barrels and other accessories are much easier to come by.

That said, the Mossberg 930 can be had in a field model for around $500.

The 930 is a fine shotgun. If I was in the market for a SA it would be top on my list.

My 20 is a newer 870 youth with 20" bbl I put an extended mag tube on it. I like 20ga more than 12 for grouse, pump is less cost than an auto.Shooting a few birds above the corn or a slug at deer the 20 would be perfect. You could put a lot of money into it making it shoot slugs more accurate. Ammo selection is good for the 20ga these days.
Let us know what you buy, and report any doubles on those garden thieves.

Do all 870s have replaceable barrels, including the older ones?

As I have been looking for a new barrel with rem chokes for my 1975 and or 1981 dated Wingmaster...
I contacted Remington and was told that a new made barrel will work with my older guns...just be sure not to fire a 3 inch shell out of a 2 3/4 inch chamber....
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top